Help making dish soap for hand washing....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaJ99

Reaction score
Okay does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they actually use and it works? I'm not caring about cloudy water I would love to have some bubbles and lather but I'm just needing a recipe that works. It does not matter if its a cp recipe that you shred and melt up, a hot process liquid soap, etc I'm willing to try anything at this point. I've unsuccessfully tried three recipes for hand milling and then creating a liquid. It comes out just like the recipes/ pictures state but when you try to clean dishes with it the dishes remain dirty looking or are covered in a greasy film.
The three that I've tried have all had super washing soda, vinegar, and a small amount of glycerin. I'm at a loss I really don't want to buy Dawn anymore but until I can get something the hubby and kiddos will adjust to I'm gonna have to fork over the money for dawn. In our area the smallest bottle of dawn is 1.79 for only 9 oz which is just crazy. I've made homemade laundry soap liquid and homemade body wash so I should be able to do this, lol. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Amanda

Rather than trying to make a liquid soap out of a solid soap, why not try making a liquid soap? To be honest I'm still new, but I have looked into it, and intend to make my own. Here's an awesome video on how to make a liquid castile soap:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VUGV_H7bZU&list=UU6NFc1XyVdzuyQw-f9HG42g&index=5&feature=plcp[/ame]
and a homemade liquid dish soap:
http://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2012/04/easy-homemade-liquid-dish-soap-homemade_24.html

The only thing with making liquid soap is you have to use Potassium Hydroxide (I bought some from essential depot) rather than sodium hydroxide.
Is the soap you're using superfatted? If so that could possibly be why your dishes are left with the greasy film.
If you try this, let me know! I have to get myself a cheaper/second hand crockpot - I hate to use my nice new one that I use for food on soap!

I have to say I have never used handmade soap for dishwashing, and I have never made liquid soap. I do buy a less expensive brand liquid dish detergent, Ajax, and it is only $1.79 for 34 ounces. I can often find them on sale, buy one get one free, at the grocery store. It works great. Also I believe walmart has their own generic version of Dawn for much less.

If you want to make a soap for dishwashing I would say liquid soap might be a good idea. If you want to continue to use what you have on hand I would say make sure you superfat at 0% (and measure very carefully), and leave out the washing soda and the glycerin. If you have hard water you may want to use a little bit of borax, otherwise I think "just soap" is your best bet. Use soap on the dishes, then put a bit of white vinegar in your rinse water, it will take off any remaining "film" on the dishes, and no your dishes won't smell or taste like vinegar after they dry :wink:

eta: I would guess that a lard and coconut oil blend would be a good dish soap

I like the idea of a lard coconut blend, also I'm going to try to make the soap paste for liquid soap in the crock pot tomorrow. Also had a light bulb moment tonite at the sink. As again we load the dishwasher after dinner there are inevitably dishes left to be hand washed. We have two adults and three kiddos so we make lots of dishes at each meal. I don't buy paper so we wash at each meal. Tonite I just filled the sink with hot water and added the dishes. Then I swiped the soap bar (basic Castile with out superfat) on my cleaning sponge and scrubbed a dish and then rinsed it off. This method worked beautifully it did take about three minutes more to clean up a sink full since i had to keep swiping the soap on the sponge but it's good to know I can use this method when I'm out of hand dish soap. I'm still gonna endeavor to make the liquid in the crock pot but at least I've got a fool proof back up... I'll report my results some time in the next week.

If you have hard water, don't expect liquid soap to suds and to disperse water insoluble (nonpolar) molecules such as oil and grease like a detergent. Commercial detergents are emulsifiers. An emulsifier is a surface-active agent that promotes the break down of grease or oil into small droplets and allows these droplets of grease or oil to mix with water, then be flushed away.

I wonder if you added an emulsifier to liquid crock pot soap if it would work more similar to commercial detergents then? It is something that I plan to get on my next BB order. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Back