Help! Lye oozes out of fresh batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@shunt2011, I used brambleberry lye calculator. I'm appending the recipe screenshot.

I was testing out the calculators (Brambleberry, Soapee, and Soapcalc) and I noticed that while Soapee and Soapcalc had the exact same lye results (in grams) for recipes of specific oil blends, Brambleberry came up with a higher or lower gram weight of lye for the same amounts of oil. If you run your same recipe through another calculator, you may find those other calculators pointing you to a different amount of lye.

Last edited:
And that's the reason to pick a soap recipe calculator that you like best and stick with it, rather than use several and wonder about which answers to use. They all use the same math; the differences are mainly due to variations in the average saponification values chosen by the calc designer. No calc will ever be perfectly correct, because the fats YOU use will vary slightly from the average sap values, so, like I said, it's best to just pick one calc that you like and learn to use it well.

Latest posts

Back