Help ,can I remelt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie.melancon

Reaction score
I just poured an entire batch of candles and mistakenly didn’t add enough fragrance oil. Can I re-melt and add more oil. I added only about 1/2 of what it needed. They have set up for 12 hours. I used joy wax.

I am not familiar with joy wax, but as a general rule you can melt and re-pour. I have done that with both beeswax and soy wax.
It is somewhat time consuming and sometimes messy.

Create a sort of double boiler by setting your candle container in a pan of hot water. Keep the eye on low. When melted you can pour it into your candle melting container, set it back in the hot water and bring the temperature up to the necessary level to add fragrance (for soy wax). Then follow normal candle making procedures.

How much scent did you put in vs how much the wax will hold. If you put too much scent in the wax can become a fire hazard.
Also, I have found that just because a wax can hold a certain % of fragrance, most waxes don't need near that much to have a great cold/hot throw. I've even found that if using too much fragrance, it has the opposite affect, and will actual hinder the hot throw.

Nona's advice is good, but if it's not needed then I wouldn't do it. All depends on how much you used in the first place. When I worked with joy wax I found 4% fragrance load to be plenty for most scents.

Back