Hello, Rebatch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
:headbanging:

My first 5 soaps went fairly well- no major mishaps or anything. Tonight's batch....I completely forgot the olive oil in my recipe (35%) and didn't realize it until I was texturing the top! :(

But, I guess now I'll get to learn how to rebatch. And, maybe tomorrow I'll get to see what positive zap test is like! (Always a silver lining, right?)

Thanks for letting me rant.

Whoopsie! That's a classic error for sure. But quit banging your head against a wall... it hurts me just to watch that! LOL

So, it may take a while for that batch to be ready to unmold. Give it some time. Then rebatch it and add the missing oil to the rebatch. It won't be pretty, but it will improve during use.

My favorite way to rebatch is to grate the soap up -- as soon as it's grateable -- put it in a large stainless steel pot, cover, and stick it in a pre-heated 250°F oven for an hour. By that time it should be molten. Add the olive oil and give it a good stir. Glop it into your mold, bang it gently on the counter, bless it, cross fingers, and hope for the best!

Whoopsie! That's a classic error for sure. But quit banging your head against a wall... it hurts me just to watch that! LOL

So, it may take a while for that batch to be ready to unmold. Give it some time. Then rebatch it and add the missing oil to the rebatch. It won't be pretty, but it will improve during use.

My favorite way to rebatch is to grate the soap up -- as soon as it's grateable -- put it in a large stainless steel pot, cover, and stick it in a pre-heated 250°F oven for an hour. By that time it should be molten. Add the olive oil and give it a good stir. Glop it into your mold, bang it gently on the counter, bless it, cross fingers, and hope for the best!

Thanks for the tip! I have been reading about rebatching, and it seems like everyone has a different process.

It's definitely zappy this morning... When I'm rebatching, do I only need to add oil? Will I need to add extra water? I'm hoping to get it out of the mold, shred it, and cook it within the next couple of days, so I don't think much water will be lost.

What exactly am I looking for while rebatching? No more zapping?

I've never done HP, so I'm not sure how this process is supposed to look.

If I was missing that much oil, I'd dump it all immediately in a crock pot, add the missing oil and hp it.
I like KC's option better. Don't wait until it's ready to unmold. Just go for it!

...do I only need to add oil? Will I need to add extra water?
For the crockpot option, just add the missing oil. PS: I've never done the "Crockpot Save", but it's an excellent tool for situations like this. Hopefully someone with more experience may chime in, yea or nay.

What exactly am I looking for while rebatching? No more zapping?
You want to get the batch fluid enough to pour but, since it's HP, you can cook it until it doesn't zap.

I've never done HP, so I'm not sure how this process is supposed to look.
Another learning experience! Aren't you just the luckiest person today?! :) Have a look at YouTube. Search crockpot HP. Soapmaking 101 and Soap Queen TV should offer reliable tutorials.

ETA: Here's a link to Soapmaking 101's tutorial:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scokYOkLcQo[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back