Hello, need help! (New soapmaker)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloko

Reaction score
Okay so I ordered some stuff after doing a bit of researching, basically anything I could order in bulk thats non-gmo, organic. I have the following after collecting all that however, I have: Flax seed oil Canola oil & High oleic sunflower oil in 7 lb jugs from soapers choice which were a steal! I got olive oil, coconut oil, brazil nut oil, buriti oil, evening primrose oil, andiroba oil, aloe vera oil I have cupuacu butter, mango butter and white amazonian clay with some cupuacu scrub. My essential oils are tea tree, lavander, lemon myrtle, patchouli, sweet orange, eucalptus, peppermint, & lemongrass. For my fragrance oils I only have honeysuckle/white patchouli & a marijuana fragrance that smells nothing alike from aroma haven but I haven't tried it out yet to say any more. I was hoping someone really into soapping couldhelp me formulate a recipe as I am so new to this(very first recipe) I wanted to go with a sweet orange/patchouli and a lavander/patchouli, and I am sure a lemon myrtle/patchouli - which two do you think I should do? I only have .6 oz of patchouli but I have lots of herbal foliage, as well as some marigolds and german chamomile petals. I was also thinking of adding rolled oats I had, maybe blend them up into powder? Anyways I would really appreciate some advice from the experts! Tell me what you think would be good for me recipe wise and scent wise. If I need anymore ingredients let me know what you would recommend and why. Thanks so much for your time & patience, any help is greatly appreciated!

I'll let someone else help you out with your recipe, as I use AOs and they are basic to what I make. However, as far as scents, I think Patchouli-orange is to die for! It is one of my fav. combinations. And that should be plenty of Patch, as I use about 1 part to 2 or 3 parts of my other EO.

Everyone recommends it, same with lemon myrtle so I think thatd be good, then everyone lso recommends lavendar/patchouli. Idk lol. I sure need help with the amounts though! What would come out best?

I would just keep it simple for the first few batches, try a few basic recipes and add one EO at a time. Take notes, some EOs speed up trace and some can change the color. If you do something crazy complicated it will be hard to tell were you went wrong or what you need to do differently.

But try to stay away from using your canola oil in your soap, its prone to DOS. Just my opinion there

Thanks for the advice on the canola, I know a bit about scents and herbals before soap luckily though so I feel I can mix and match well, but I don't know about the after processing so I'll take that into consideration fersure

Sorry to tell you but Canola is a GMO.

Okay recipe:

• Olive Oil - 75%
  • Coconut Oil - 25%

Add to that:

• 2% Sweet Orange EO
  • 1% Patchouli
You will need to run your recipe through a lye calculator and I am going to recommend http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp.

I also wanted to make note that there is no such thing as Aloe Vera Oil, that is going to be an infused oil at best. I would recommend it for body products but not soap.

Wow, Those are some amazing oils and butters!

For your first batches I would start simple and keep your batch size relatively small - 1.5-2 lbs is a good size.

To formulate a recipe, I'd start with 40% OO, 20-25% CO, maybe 15% high oleic sunflower, and the balance divided between one butter and one oil. Try to resist the temptation to use a smidge of this and a smidge of that. If you don't use at least 5-10% in a recipe, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference.

I'd use the canola for cooking - not good for soap. But if you must, keep it at 10% or less of your recipe.
Flaxseed oil also has a really short shelf life, it wouldn't be my first choice for soap. I love mango butter in soap.

Keep careful notes about what you do so you can figure out what each ingredient brings to the table.

As for EOs, I use them at 3% of my oil weight (roughly .5 oz PPO) If you made a 2 lb batch, that would be an ounce. Try 2:1 ratio of orange/patchouli or orange/lavender/patch at 2:1:1 or 2:2:1

Good luck!

It specifically says non gmo canola, 90% of canola is GMO. Not all of it is GMO, check soapers choice unless they're blatenly lying. Thanks for the recipe tho

Wow, Those are some amazing oils and butters!

For your first batches I would start simple and keep your batch size relatively small - 1.5-2 lbs is a good size.

To formulate a recipe, I'd start with 40% OO, 20-25% CO, maybe 15% high oleic sunflower, and the balance divided between one butter and one oil. Try to resist the temptation to use a smidge of this and a smidge of that. If you don't use at least 5-10% in a recipe, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference.

I'd use the canola for cooking - not good for soap. But if you must, keep it at 10% or less of your recipe.
Flaxseed oil also has a really short shelf life, it wouldn't be my first choice for soap. I love mango butter in soap.

Keep careful notes about what you do so you can figure out what each ingredient brings to the table.

As for EOs, I use them at 3% of my oil weight (roughly .5 oz PPO) If you made a 2 lb batch, that would be an ounce. Try 2:1 ratio of orange/patchouli or orange/lavender/patch at 2:1:1 or 2:2:1

Good luck!

Thanks a lot this helped a lot! Any other advice before I go about doing the deed? I will probably do it tomorrow or the next day so I can find soem time to research these ingredients fully and the forum more. Thanks again everyone!

Wow, you really went gunho over buying stuff. I hope you do enjoy it and did not buy all that stuff and then decided it is not for you. Keep it simple use at most 3 oils at least one hard oil. Get a good digital scale but you do not need an over expensive one. one that reads like 0.00 is best. I would make my first batch without scent or color. It will take a few batches like 7 to work out all the quirks. Most first time batches come out great. It is the other ones that start messing up. Most due to adding and changing formula so you have to work out those to get them to act right. Take your time it is a fun hobby. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks a lot Nebetmiw yo u are all so welcoming I love it. I've been on quite a few forums and they are usually pretty brutal to rookies in their field probably due to the egostatistical value they feel from their hobby. Some people.. lol but again thanks.

Hi and welcome to soaping, Moloko. I use canola at 16 pct all the time and have no DOS, and have 6 year old soap that's still in good shape.

Moloko, you say "new soapmaker"?? Gosh, if you haven't made any soap previously, you've really gone "all out" in getting things!!!!

The best thing I believe you can do is what Judymoody says.....keep it simple and small "and write everything down" even if you don't think it is worth writing down - just because you have all those oils etc. doesn't mean a complicated first batch. Believe me, you'll feel so much better when you graduate to a soap that you didn't think you'd be able to make if you start off simple.

Sounds like you're trying to walk before you crawl - nothing wrong in that but I'm sure everyone else here on this forum don't want you to quit soaping before you find out how much fun it can be - take a deep breath and enjoy your new craft - great buys your got there!!!!

I would infuse your lovely botanicals in olive or rice bran oil and use just the infused oils at first, as using actual botanicals in soap is tricky, especially for beginners (ask me how i know;). infused oils are truly wonderful. i would also save some of those expensive oils and butters for lotion bars, lotions or other products -- they're really pricey for soap. lotion bars (solid balms) are a FABULOUS way to use some of them cost-efficiently, and they're super easy.

great to hear your enthusiasm! and i'm with everyone else in suggesting to start slow and really get your feet under you. take notes, learn from what doesn't work, keep that enthusiasm up! i love your choices of EOs. will be eager to hear how things go! and yes, we're always here for you, we've all been beginners and we're happy to share :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back