HELLO, MY SECRET PLAN (BUT I'M STILL WORKING ON IT !)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REILLY57

Reaction score
Hello everbody,

My name is Jim ... I'll tell you a little about me first, and then I'll explain why I joined the forum.

I was born in London (and I lived in the US for a while, NJ, CA and WA), but now I live in Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo. I moved to Ireland because my dad (who was born in Englewood, NJ, but grew up in Kiltimagh) wasn't well and needed my help - which explains why I started to look around for a business that I could run from home ... or wherever else I happen to be.

The Irish Web-Site

After a while I found (what I thought was) an Irish web-site that sells several, very unusual, "IRISH" products to Americans (especially Irish-Americans), and I immediately thought it was a brilliant idea ... one that would be very easy to copy!

The web-site belongs to an Irish-American, he lives in Ireland (or so he claims), and his business partner is probably an Italian-American (as he has an Italian name) based in the US.

Only two of the products being sold on the web-site have to be produced", one is a food product (I'm not interested in that at the moment) and the other is a "candle".

I'm not going to reveal what the other products on the web-site are, but (just like the food product and the "candle") ... no-one in Ireland would buy them.

So, its an American business, it has an Irish veneer, it makes a healthy profit ... and I'd like to copy it!

For obvious reasons, I don't want to broadcast the name of the web-site here ... but I will reveal it to those who convince me that they are genuinely interested in my idea.

Making It Work

I know next to nothing about candles, but it soon dawned on me that the first thing I would need if I wanted to create a business similar to the one that I found was an American partner ... and I realize that probably sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse, but in this case (as I'll attempt to explain in detail later) there are a lot of really good reasons for doing so.

Ideally my partner in America would be ... (a) someone who already knows how to make candles (b) someone who really enjoys making them (c) someone who wants to turn their hobby into a small to medium sized business (d) someone with good business skills (e) someone that I can trust (f) someone who (as I prove to them that I'm sincere) will trust me.

The "Irish" Candle

The candle I saw is available in two sizes, the 2 7/8 x 3 inch costs $9 and the 2 7/8 x 4 inch costs $11 - and, as far as I can tell, both of these candles are made of paraffin wax.

What I would like to know (so that I can work out how viable my idea really is) is ... (a) how much would 100 x 2 7/8 x 4 inch molds cost in the US? (b) how much would the wax cost? (c) how much would the wicks cost? (c) how long would it take a person to prepare the molds? (d) how long would it take a person to prepare the wax? (e) how long would it take to pour the wax? (f) how long would it take the wax to solidify? (g) roughly, how much profit is there in 1,000 candles?

(candle-makers ... please help with this last bit!)

Developing A Recipe

Fortunately there are forums (and YouTube) where one can learn about things like that ... that's why I signed up! Because (unless my future partner can think of one that will work) I will need a recipe.

Thanks for looking, I'll post a bit more tomorrow !

James Reilly, 4 Sliabh Cairn, Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo, Ireland

phone: 00 353 9493 82827
mobile: 00 353 86 216 4672
email: [email protected]

hi

welcome, jim! it will be nice having you in the forum.

i make soap not candles, so i can't help you there, but will love to have you join in us in our business forums for some lively chats on business analysis and trends.

good luck to you!

Top of the day to you Jim Oreilly

So you come from the land of the little people.Where my Dad came from. Born County Cavin, bought up in Dublin.
Welcome.
I have never been over but am in contact with my cousins in Dublin.I love looking up sites from your country.It is quite like NZ were I was born.
I will go over one day.I even have an Irish passport which says I am an Irish citizen.
I do hope you find the person you need over in USA.
I am in Australia.
Bets of luck.
Mary
:wink:

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum! :D Glad to have a Irishman among us. We have a large male membership here by the way. If you wish to, tell us a little about yourself and your interests. Enjoy our many forums and great members with fantastic knowledge about their crafts. Welcome again! :wink:

Paul

Where is the informatin about your project. I want to send to friend who is interested.

Welcome Jim - Somewhere way in my past I have an ancestor from the emerald Isle.

I am sure you will find great welcome here.

~Roy

Hi Greenman , thanks for the welcome. Have another look at my post in a couple of days - I'm re-thinking / re-wording my first post ... its a bit complicated !

I've just noticed that my post has had more than 200 hits, I really think you're going to like my idea ... keep watching !

PS dont be shy, if you have any questions ... feel free to ask!

Back