Hello! I'm new here, and would love to invite you 2 my site!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My name is Laure and I'm the proud owner of Covered Bridge Naturals! I'm 27 years old and I got the idea to start my own soapmaking business after being unemployed for a few years. Looking for someone to hire me was going absolutely NOWHERE! So I got to thinking and realized, "What am I doing?! I could be on the other side of the fence and be my OWN employer instead of relying on others to do what I can do myself!" Needless to say, I had the biggest "duh" moment of my life. So, here I am, I have supplies, a website, a GRAND idea,....I just need customers!

I invite you to visit my site, (Which is still partially under construction until I get more product variety.) Please go to this link (coveredbridgenaturals , sign my guestbook, say hello, and view my product...thanks!

welcome! i am sure we would love to hear about your experience making soap and other body products.

Hi, I looked at your site and I have the following input:

I prefer a site that loads quickly. I know you can click the introductory banner away but I let it run and got impatient with it.

For me, failure to disclose all ingredients is a deal breaker. "Vegetable oil-based" doesn't cut it. What is somebody is allergic to coconut oil or shea butter or has moral/ethical objections to palm oil? Is your scent a fragrance oil or essential oil blend? If they have to go to the trouble of emailing you for clarification, they will probably not bother and shop elsewhere. It's a pretty saturated market.

Waiting 3-4 weeks for shipping is also a deal breaker. Don't go live until you have inventory ready to ship.

Good luck!

ETA: when I first looked at the site there was not yet a tab describing the ingredients. I now see that you make M&P soap. Therefore, my advice about having inventory on hand isn't relevant. I assumed that the 3-4 week shipping window was to allow for curing time for CP soap.

yeah, judy i agree about the loading issue. i have an ancient laptop and sites that slow it down significantly turn me off.

This is a good place to come get and share idea. But if looking to simply promote your business, not so much.

From one soaper to another, though - welcome.

Hazel said:
Hello and welcome :)

How long have you been making soap?

I've been making soap for about a year and a half. :D I was doing soy candles before that, but it takes more supplies and was more expensive to do. After I started soapmaking, I just found that I enjoyed it more, and that I do really well at it, so it stuck. I now have a website. I didn't waste any time considering that I could do what I love and have it be my income. More hard work to come!! Thank you for the warm welcome!! How long have you been soapmaking?

carebear said:
This is a good place to come get and share idea. But if looking to simply promote your business, not so much.

From one soaper to another, though - welcome.

I think sharing my website with others is a good way to get and share ideas, carebear. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the forum. This is a good forum to learn from.

I took a look at your site and here's some suggestions. First, I found this "Has suburb lather" in the description of your soap. I'm assuming it's supposed to be "Has superb lather".

Also, after reading your ingredient information here http://www.coveredbridgenaturals.com/The_Product.html

You state that it is a 100% vegetable base, but after reading the ingredients there are obviously more than vegetable oils in there.

Then you state that it's alcohol free, but there's propylene glycol in there which is a double alcohol.

Also, commenting on the health of the users skin sounds like you may be making medical claims. Plus, you may want to reword the description of the ingredients & everything instead of taking it word for word from Stephenson.

One more thing. Your disclaimer will not hold up in court if someone decides to sue you. Not saying anyone will, but things happen.

I would like a clearer photo of the soap :) and not so much of the packaging , looks like your selling cellophane or lace to me not soap.

Now that I have the time to sit and respond to each of you individually, (And yes, I did get your response, Judy. However, I feel the need to blueprint, what you and others have misjudged, as I feel there's a lesson to be learned here. There's alot of assuming going on here, and instead of people ASKING ME about it, they're telling me what I should and should not be doing.)

Ok, for one, (Judy), nobody ever held a gun to your head and said you had to sit through the intro to my site, which is the whole reason for the "enter site" link below the banner. It's there for visual stimulation and it's OPTIONAL, nothing more, nothing less. Two, I am not out to cater to anyone, I have what I have on my site because that's what I've chosen to offer. What do you do when one store dosen't offer you something? Answer: you go to another store, which is quite easy online when there's no driving involved. I can't possibly cater to everyone's needs just yet because of just starting out, but if they like what they see, they're more than welcome to buy from me. You obviously saw that my soap is strictly vegetable based, therefore you had to have seen the ingredients which were on the same page! I've now taken the list down in order to revise the list and be more detailed (as those here have suggested). I really don't see why I have to blueprint the whole process, considering I'm NOT the manufacturer of the soap itself. Meaning, in order to provide a product list and tell everyone exactly the purpose of each ingredient, I will have to do research online and be a dog-gone chemistry teacher, and then contact the company and ask them what the process of making the soap is (which they'd never tell me anyhow).....REALLY??? Um, Judy,.....that's a little unnessacary don't you think? Look at the back of some of the products you have in your house...do they have a detailed explaination as to what each ingredient's purpose is in the manufacturing process? I didn't think so. Soapmaking is pretty self-explainatory, it's not rocket science. I don't have a problem providing an ingredient list, but if someone needs to know what each ingredient is actually used for, then they need to talk to a chemist, not a soapmaker. I have also shortened the shipping time, so I did take your advice on that. And I do have inventory to ship, btw.
Genny, sorry my spelling error "offended" you. I made the correction. Just keep in mind, ANYONE could have done that. And I also looked at your site, and you made a spelling mistake as well,.....it's not "JoAnn's Fabrics" it's "JoAnn Fabrics". And when I said my soap is "alcohol free" I only meant that I didn't take a bottle of alcohol and dump it in the soap (which is what MOST people only care about knowing). Propylene Glycol is simply a "sister" compound to alcohol and it helps with water retention and the soap's ability to "set". Because I do melt and pour soap, the Propylene Glycol is needed, unless people want to buy soap "goo". So again, when I said alcohol free, I just meant that on MY END of things, I didn't add anything extra, like dumping a bottle of alcohol in my soap. If PG is in the soap, there's nothing I can do about that, unless you suggest that I call the company and complain. My supplier only deals with USDA Organic based products, so I trust that they are doing what they should considering the soap/fragrance ingredients come out of Canada and the US. If they only deal with USDA Organic, then that obviously means that what they use is regulated by the USDA (And they have to be because the company is in CANADA - anything that crosses the border, has to be regulated). Another thing, when on earth did I ever make "medical" claims. You said that's what it SEEMS like, well, that dosen't make it fact, does it? What it "seems like" and what it actually "is" are two completely different things. I never came right out and said, "this will cure you of this..." or "my soap cures diseases of the skin", and nor would I ever make those kinds of claims. I'm not a doctor, and I have no interest in being one, either. Just like you aren't a lawyer, so therefore, you have no justification in giving me any legal advice what-so-ever about my disclaimer. One more thing about your site, it looks like you like to crochet more than you like soapmaking,....I see much more crocheting going on on your site rather than making soap. You don't sell any of your soap on your "blog" so how on earth do you have the knowledge to judge my site when what we do are two totally different things????? And yes, I did say 100% Vegetable BASE! The BASE, Genny,....is 100% Vegetable...not every ingredient. I never claimed the other ingredients were vegetable. Please learn to read.
Carebear, I didn't come here to simply "promote" my site, I came here to socialize......SOCIALIZE with people who love soapmaking just as I do. I didn't come here to get judged, nitpicked at, or have people start things just because i'm the "newbie". Dosen't anyone here just share things with people? Newsflash! Just because someone is nice enough to share something with you dosen't mean you should go ahead and assume you have free reign to judge. Don't really know why I have to keep saying this. It's getting very redundant that I have to blueprint and re-hash what I said and didn't say.
Relle9, Thanks for the input about clearer pictures, to be honest, I didn't even think about it. Will be tackling that here in the next day or two. Have been helping my fiancee with his college assignments and that takes up alot of time in itself.

Re: *

coveredbridgenaturals said:
Now that I have the time to sit and respond to each of you individually, (And yes, I did get your response, Judy. However, I feel the need to blueprint, what you and others have misjudged, as I feel there's a lesson to be learned here. There's alot of assuming going on here, and instead of people ASKING ME about it, they're telling me what I should and should not be doing.)

Ok, for one, (Judy), nobody ever held a gun to your head and said you had to sit through the intro to my site, which is the whole reason for the "enter site" link below the banner. It's there for visual stimulation and it's OPTIONAL, nothing more, nothing less. Two, I am not out to cater to anyone, I have what I have on my site because that's what I've chosen to offer. What do you do when one store dosen't offer you something? Answer: you go to another store, which is quite easy online when there's no driving involved. I can't possibly cater to everyone's needs just yet because of just starting out, but if they like what they see, they're more than welcome to buy from me. You obviously saw that my soap is strictly vegetable based, therefore you had to have seen the ingredients which were on the same page! I've now taken the list down in order to revise the list and be more detailed (as those here have suggested). I really don't see why I have to blueprint the whole process, considering I'm NOT the manufacturer of the soap itself. Meaning, in order to provide a product list and tell everyone exactly the purpose of each ingredient, I will have to do research online and be a dog-gone chemistry teacher, and then contact the company and ask them what the process of making the soap is (which they'd never tell me anyhow).....REALLY??? Um, Judy,.....that's a little unnessacary don't you think? Look at the back of some of the products you have in your house...do they have a detailed explaination as to what each ingredient's purpose is in the manufacturing process? I didn't think so. Soapmaking is pretty self-explainatory, it's not rocket science. I don't have a problem providing an ingredient list, but if someone needs to know what each ingredient is actually used for, then they need to talk to a chemist, not a soapmaker. I have also shortened the shipping time, so I did take your advice on that. And I do have inventory to ship, btw.
Genny, sorry my spelling error "offended" you. I made the correction. Just keep in mind, ANYONE could have done that. And I also looked at your site, and you made a spelling mistake as well,.....it's not "JoAnn's Fabrics" it's "JoAnn Fabrics". And when I said my soap is "alcohol free" I only meant that I didn't take a bottle of alcohol and dump it in the soap (which is what MOST people only care about knowing). Propylene Glycol is simply a "sister" compound to alcohol and it helps with water retention and the soap's ability to "set". Because I do melt and pour soap, the Propylene Glycol is needed, unless people want to buy soap "goo". So again, when I said alcohol free, I just meant that on MY END of things, I didn't add anything extra, like dumping a bottle of alcohol in my soap. If PG is in the soap, there's nothing I can do about that, unless you suggest that I call the company and complain. My supplier only deals with USDA Organic based products, so I trust that they are doing what they should considering the soap/fragrance ingredients come out of Canada and the US. If they only deal with USDA Organic, then that obviously means that what they use is regulated by the USDA (And they have to be because the company is in CANADA - anything that crosses the border, has to be regulated). Another thing, when on earth did I ever make "medical" claims. You said that's what it SEEMS like, well, that dosen't make it fact, does it? What it "seems like" and what it actually "is" are two completely different things. I never came right out and said, "this will cure you of this..." or "my soap cures diseases of the skin", and nor would I ever make those kinds of claims. I'm not a doctor, and I have no interest in being one, either. Just like you aren't a lawyer, so therefore, you have no justification in giving me any legal advice what-so-ever about my disclaimer. One more thing about your site, it looks like you like to crochet more than you like soapmaking,....I see much more crocheting going on on your site rather than making soap. You don't sell any of your soap on your "blog" so how on earth do you have the knowledge to judge my site when what we do are two totally different things????? And yes, I did say 100% Vegetable BASE! The BASE, Genny,....is 100% Vegetable...not every ingredient. I never claimed the other ingredients were vegetable. Please learn to read.
Carebear, I didn't come here to simply "promote" my site, I came here to socialize......SOCIALIZE with people who love soapmaking just as I do. I didn't come here to get judged, nitpicked at, or have people start things just because i'm the "newbie". Dosen't anyone here just share things with people? Newsflash! Just because someone is nice enough to share something with you dosen't mean you should go ahead and assume you have free reign to judge. Don't really know why I have to keep saying this. It's getting very redundant that I have to blueprint and re-hash what I said and didn't say.
Relle9, Thanks for the input about clearer pictures, to be honest, I didn't even think about it. Will be tackling that here in the next day or two. Have been helping my fiancee with his college assignments and that takes up alot of time in itself.

Laure -

I have to admit I was quite stunned by your reply. I don't know quite where to begin in discussing it.

This is a site with many generous people who are willing to take time to share and help others. My understanding of your first post is you were asking for people to critique your site. The members who replied are experienced soapmakers and at least a couple of them have been selling online for years. They were trying to help you.

They were giving advice to help you improve your site because as judymoody said it's a saturated market. They brought up valid points which you may not agree with but customers are concerned with them. I personally am irritated when I'm looking at a soap on a site and there isn't a full ingredient list. The ingredient list may be on a general info page but I may not even bother to look at that page. Also, typos and incorrect grammar are important because they make a site look unprofessional. It gives the impression to customers if the seller isn't concerned with creating a quality site then how concerned is she with creating a quality product?

I could go on to discuss other points but I won't since you've made it apparent you're not interested in taking advice or learning from the members. So, I'll finish by saying I found your response immature, disrespectful and insulting towards members trying to help you. They were respectful and were not attacking or judging you.

This forum and its members are a wonderful resource. It's your choice. I'll finish by posting this link and I hope you'll read it.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1347

Like I said in your other post. I'm sorry if we upset you, that was not our intention.
Your spelling error didn't offend me. I just thought that maybe it got overlooked, which happens. Thanks for letting me know about the error on my blog, I didn't notice it before. So, I appreciate the help.
I don't sell anything on my blog. It's an informational blog. I actually don't crochet more than I soap, I just don't share a lot about my soap on my blog. I have been making soap for 6 yrs (mp for 6, cp for 3) and I sell in person for now. I do at least 1-2 shows, fairs, markets, etc, a month. So, I do have a lot of soap selling experience.

I have no problems with propylene glycol, I was just saying that it is an alcohol. Because you stated that your soap was alcohol free.

As for the medical claim, it was the word "health" in this sentence.
"Glycerin, a natural emollient and humectant, draws moisture out of the air to benefit skin health"
By saying that an ingredient in your product will help the health of the consumer is against FDA's cosmetic regulations. I'm not saying it to be rude or snarky or by saying that you are defying regulations purposely, sometimes people are just not aware.

I happen to be an excellent reader by the way.

coveredbridgenaturals said:
I am not out to cater to anyone, I have what I have on my site because that's what I've chosen to offer. What do you do when one store dosen't offer you something? Answer: you go to another store, which is quite easy online when there's no driving involved. I can't possibly cater to everyone's needs just yet because of just starting out, but if they like what they see, they're more than welcome to buy from me.

OK, just to be clear - in your introductory post you said you were unemployed and you wanted to support yourself by selling soap. My intention was to offer some helpful advice that would aid you in realizing your ambitions. This is an incredibly competitive market and I was sharing my preferences as a consumer for complete information that is easy to find and for efficiency in both web site design and order fulfillment. I'm just one person and if you don't like what I have to say, that's fine.

I assure you that I clicked on every tab on your site that was available when I first consulted it. "The product" with its list of ingredients and the "Disclaimer" were not visible. Had they been, I would not have asked questions about your ingredients or extrapolated from your shipping estimate to the kind of soap that you make. As that information was not available to me at the time, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that you include it. Not because I'm expecting you to provide a chemical analysis (I think perhaps you're confusing me with somebody else). My original post specifically referred to possible concerns about allergens.

In response to your lengthy PM, I apologized privately for inadvertently offending you and I attempted to explain the intent behind my post. I also amended my original response to you in this thread based on the information you added to your site after I first viewed it. I have done my best to be courteous. Therefore, I find your diatribe against me in public to be inappropriate and excessive.

It would be great if you could listen to what we say instead of insisting that our intentions are otherwise. This is a great forum that has a lot to offer with respect to all aspects of soap making and marketing one's product.

ETA: Rereading your post, I think you do a disservice to Genny. While one doesn't have to be a lawyer to sell soap, one should be aware of the FDA regulations that govern the sale of soap and cosmetics. This link spells out these definitions and may be helpful to you.

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidanceco ... 074201.htm

In fact, according to the FDA, you may not be selling "soap" at all but rather a cleansing bar as your base contained sodium laureth sulfate, a detergent, as well as two forms of alcohol (sorbitol and propylene glycol). I don't remember the other ingredients as they are no longer posted on your site. The proportion of "alkali salts of fatty acids may be sufficient to classify it as "soap." Cleansing bars are considered cosmetics and as such are classified differently by the FDA than soap. Among other requirements, sellers of cosmetics are required to list all ingredients in INCI form.

There are M&P soap bases available which more obviously fall under the FDA definition of soap (derived primarily oils, water and sodium hydroxide) should you want to go that route.

Again, this is meant to help, not as a personal attack. If you're going to sell, it's in your best interests to understand and follow the legal regulations which pertain to your product.

Latest posts

Back