Hello from the Keystone state!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stakie

Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Stakie. It is nice to see there are many others that have the same interests!

Well, let me get on with my purpose here. I am not new to soap making, but I can not say I have perfected it. I someday want to open shop. I have come here to learn new things and get help with whatever I seem to do wrong in my concoctions. My first thing to mark off my list is to complete my list of High,Mid, and low notes in essential and fragrances. The second on my list is to make a list of the oils and what their pros- and cons are.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all! Hope we can help each-other in the near future!

Where in PA are you?
I'm in Philly and have been working on a large, home sized soapworks for a long time. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I live in the Harrisburg area. Though I go to the philly area quite often. Originally from the southern New Jersey area. Yes! A jersian!

Anyway, thank you for the offer! I really appreciate it. I am just looking to make those lists at the moment. I am Hopeing those will help me create new and wonderful soaps.

So you work from home as well? Have you gotten your soap out or just working on a plan at the moment?

I KNOW it's going to help me. I am probably going to get poster board and copy most of the information. Hahaha. I don't like running from my computer to my craft room... so might as well mount it on my wall.

That's a good idea!

I keep meaning to make a cheat sheet and put it in the binder with my recipes. Yeah...sure...I'll get around to doing that :roll:

I know I need a cheat sheet. My brain would fry otherwise. Heck, when I make anything. Baking,cooking, crafting.. I use pictures recipes.. I might even buy a sample to make sure I made it taste correctly...

Weird, huh?

I don't think that's weird. If you're going to the trouble of making something special, you definitely want it to taste right.

I've tasted things and then tried to recreate them at home so I understand the compulsion. And of course, they never, ever taste as good. :D

I know what you mean! It takes me a few tries o make whatever it is taste better then the thing I tried. I get very obsessed if I can't seem to do it.

You're more determined than me. If I don't get it after a couple of attempts, I give up and learn to enjoy what I did manage to create.

Hi there!
welcome to the best forum in the whole wide world!! :)

highs/mids and lows... that's something I wish I knew more about. My kids (11, 9, 5) make great blends for me- in fact, my customers have really loved most of them! Wish I could take credit... :)
Luckily, I have a few years to learn their secrets before they all go off to college!

I have to say I am learning a bit from the forum already. I have been getting lots of books about... anything soap. I actually need to purchase a few books. Maybe I can find someone selling some... I already have a list I need to get and I am borrowing from the library like a mad woman.. and it's just "showing" me more books I need to buy.

Even checked out some melt and pour just for presentation. Found some really interesting things to make.

Very happy about everything here and just about how everything is going.

that' a really nice book for general reference. It's got some good basic recipes in it that are easily tinted/scented to make bazillions of different soaps.

It's practically a "Soap Bible."

Welcome!! I'm so jealous of all you guys who live in the eastern US. I love that part of the country.

I second the vote for Grosso's book. It was my launching pad.

Happy soaping!

Another coincidence! It was my first, too!
I got it at Michael's with one of those great 50% off coupons!

Actually the only book I own was given to me by a friend. It's "Melt & pour soapmaking" by Marie Browning. I don't do melt and pour but man does it have some really neat ideas that I haven't tried out.

The other books I want are all from storey.com. Some such as "Making transparent soap" and "making natural liquid soaps" by Catherine Failor.

I was either thinking of finding someone selling here.. or go to amazon.. as I would rather purchased used.

Latest posts

Back