Hello from Greece! Question about natural colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Greece, have been to Greece many times and thought I would end up there, but instead ended up in the US.

PippiL, life moves in mysterious ways! :)

My hubby loved his New York and never thought to leave the place, but ended up living in Greece lol.

You are most welcome anytime you wish to visit again!

I'm not only a translator and a wanna-be soapmaker, I' m also a proud member of CouchSurfing Project, a volunteer-based worldwide network connecting travelers with members of local communities, who offer free accommodation and/or advice.

So you could be my quest anytime you want, that is if you don't have a cat allergy since we have cats at home :)

Hey Ifiyenia, have also been in the couchsurfing stuff :), for the moment my appartment is a bit like a mess, need to update it, once that is done, am planning to become active there again...
I don't know weather you have a problem to find herbs to colour your soaps like madder root, alkanetroot and Annatto seed. If so, I found a webshop in Holland who could deliver. Placed an order there yesterday. Will keep you posted about quality and customerservice if it would interest you.

I will come to Greece one day, thank you so much for being so welcoming :D .
I also will go to Turkey, my friend has a house overthere, I spent some time in the 90 ties in Turkey, also very beautiful.
My daughter is coming to Germany to visit my family and as an exchange student next year, maybe I will let her now about that couch surfing, sounds great.

Hey Frieda, that's soooo great!

You know there are many more ways to participate in CS, except hosting people. You could attend meetings, welcome new members, give tips and infos, write on your city's board etc etc
As for houses being a mess, lol, mine was a mess many times in the past but if you are really into hospitality, nobody will mind :)

PippiL, CouchSurfing is such a great project, it really changed my life! I wish everybody had the chance to know it, participate in it and share. It really broadens your horizons and perspective, it's so great to meet different people and learn abt their culture and all that..
Of course is also a great plus to have someone guide you and direct you, once you decide to travel somewhere you've never been before!

It really made a huge, huge difference during my first trip to Morocco 4 years back. I've never felt so safe and welcomed before :)

Ooops, excuse my rambling, but when it comes to CS I can go on for hours! :oops: Promise though, I'll put a full stop here

frieda said:
Hey Ifiyenia, have also been in the couchsurfing stuff :), for the moment my appartment is a bit like a mess, need to update it, once that is done, am planning to become active there again...
I don't know weather you have a problem to find herbs to colour your soaps like madder root, alkanetroot and Annatto seed. If so, I found a webshop in Holland who could deliver. Placed an order there yesterday. Will keep you posted about quality and customerservice if it would interest you.

Rumbling about CS, I forgot to answer to your kind offer.
Yes, it is difficult for me to find those natural colorants here (or should I say impossible?), so my only option so far was to order from the US, which is rather costly on the shipping. So yes, please, do inform me about this webshop in Holland, maybe it suits me better! Thanks :)

Hi, Carolyntn, I didn't buy kidney vetch, I picked it, like many other herbs. I don't think that anyone in Slovenija is selling this herb, but it's very easy to find it in May. Now it is too late for picking it, it's no longer blooming. Do you want it for soaping or treatment?

PippiL said:
go to natural soapmaking resources, Steve sells international and he has a big assortment of real natural color. Just ordered indigo, madder root and green french clay.

PippiL, you have pm!

zajcek said:
Hi, Ifiyenia, I find out, that Kidney vetch give nice yellow color. Here is the picture: http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europ ... 158305.htm

I just made tea and used instead of water.

Some natural colorants can be bought in Slovenia, but I think, they are pricey. Here is the link:
http://www.tovarnaorganika.si/index.php ... &Itemid=26
and
http://www.tovarnaorganika.si/index.php ... &Itemid=26

Good luck!

Zajcek, thank you for the links. I don't think I know that Kidney vetch plant, since I'm a city girl, but probably my mom or cousins do. So I'll have to ask them.
The Slovenian colorants are pricey indeed, but if their shipping rates are better than the usa's, maybe they'll turn out cheaper for me.
Thanks again!

Zajcek I would like to make a tincture with kidney vetch for use in an anti-itch gel. But I can't find any in the states. So I'll need to find a substitute herb. Lucky you to have such great herbs to pick!!! We just moved to a brand new house and I don't even have plantain growing in my yard!

Hi, Carolyntn! I like to use for problems with skin:
a) calendula ointment (I adore calendula) - very easy to make
b) resin ointment or
c) oak bark - tea.
Hm, I have a great book from James A. Duke, but nothing in it about oak bark and skin problems

I read in our books that it might help too ointment
a) from yarrow and plantain or
b) galium verum (in Slovene we say "lakota" - which means hunger)
but I didn't try yet.

I'm not sure, how much kidney vetch do I have, but I'm sure some would be found. Maybe (not sure yet) my son will go to Atlanta and if he will go, I will ask him to take some herb and send you from there. In this case I'll send you PM.

Latest posts

Back