Hello from Delaware!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapceress

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I'm Becki, and I've only recently found myself returning to my interest in soap-making. I had an interest in soap-making a few years back, but I was scared off by the lye and convinced myself SURELY there was another way. Thankfully I didn't try that route (I took up cooking and baking instead), but now I've returned to my interest in CP soap with more knowledge and (cautious) security in handling it. I've been spending my time doing research and taking a lot of notes, and that's how I ended up here!

It's nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the forum. I think that the first batch is the scariest when working with lye. Just be sure to wear safety equipment. I mix my lye solution in the sink, so if there is a spill it will be contained. Good Luck!:)

Welcome, Becki!

The fear of working with lye kept me from making soap, too. It took me about a year to finally work up my courage to give it a go, but once I did, I could've kicked myself for being such a nervous Nellie. lol That was about 12 years ago now. Just give the lye the respect it deserves, just like you would for any other chemical like bleach, or spray paint, etc... Wear goggles and gloves, don't breathe in the fumes when mixing, and you'll be fine.

IrishLass :)

Hi, Becki! Soaping is great. One way I ensure lye safety is by mixing my lye solution in a stainless steel measuring cup (not glass), and then putting that inside a larger, non-tippable mixing bowl, and pushing the whole thing to the very back corner of my counter while it cools. This way it can't be accidentally tipped over or jostled off the edge of the counter. If for some reason the mixing bowl would be bumped and some lye solution sloshed out of the measuring cup, the mixing bowl would catch any splashes.

Welcome, Becki. Another tip for lye safety that works for me: I mix my lye solution in a tall plastic container (#2 or #5 recycle number) in my kitchen sink, mixing with a very long silicon spoon, slowly and carefully to avoid any splashing. I leave the lye sitting in the sink to cool, stirring occasionally as I check for cool-down. Thus if there is any spillage it goes down the drain. Of course always wearing personal protective equipment. When I need to leave the lye longer, I cover it with a lid to prevent too much evaporation and also label to the container for long term storage of pre-mixed lye solution.

Some of us pre-mix lye and store it, but you don't have to do that. It's perfectly fine to mix it for each batch.

Latest posts

Back