Hello from Central VA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barefoot Farm Girl

Reaction score
I’m just gathering up the courage and bought the basic necessities (that’s a straight up lie, I went a lot overboard with molds, scents and colors….so much cool stuff to play with!!!) The more I research the more questions I have since things can go so horribly wrong.
1) Adding FO or EO, is it better to add with the oils or after trace?
2) I’m planning on using goat milk, all my animals have a purpose and this will be Miss Sadie Mae’s purpose. I’ve seen so many different how and when’s. HELP!!!!!

I’m just gathering up the courage and bought the basic necessities (that’s a straight up lie, I went a lot overboard with molds, scents and colors….so much cool stuff to play with!!!) The more I research the more questions I have since things can go so horribly wrong.
1) Adding FO or EO, is it better to add with the oils or after trace?
2) I’m planning on using goat milk, all my animals have a purpose and this will be Miss Sadie Mae’s purpose. I’ve seen so many different how and when’s. HELP!!!!!
Welcome!

Welcome to the soapy rabbit hole! As you've already discovered, it goes deep. Mostly deep into your bank account 😁 but also your time, attention, and curiosity. Don't be terrified though (except maybe about the bank account part) - just take it one step at a time.

Along those lines, I'd recommend starting with a 1-2 lb (450-900g) batch of plain soap - no color, no fragrance, and no goat milk. After making a couple of those batches to learn the basics, then start adding in those other things. That way, your attention won't be so scattered. This is especially true of the goat milk which requires a few extra steps to come out right.

Of course, if you have a strong background in some lab science, or professional baking, you could be an exception to the rule. :) If not, then taking it slowly will keep you from wasting a lot of ingredients. The good news is that so many really nice people are here on SMF and ready to help you each step of the way. We can't wait to see what you create!

Welcome to the soapy rabbit hole! As you've already discovered, it goes deep. Mostly deep into your bank account 😁 but also your time, attention, and curiosity. Don't be terrified though (except maybe about the bank account part) - just take it one step at a time.

Along those lines, I'd recommend starting with a 1-2 lb (450-900g) batch of plain soap - no color, no fragrance, and no goat milk. After making a couple of those batches to learn the basics, then start adding in those other things. That way, your attention won't be so scattered. This is especially true of the goat milk which requires a few extra steps to come out right.

Of course, if you have a strong background in some lab science, or professional baking, you could be an exception to the rule. :) If not, then taking it slowly will keep you from wasting a lot of ingredients. The good news is that so many really nice people are here on SMF and ready to help you each step of the way. We can't wait to see what you create!
That’s great advice, thanks! So this whole experience is to teach me the patience I’m lacking in lol

Hi and welcome. Where is a picture of this sweet Miss Sadie Mae? 🌸

Miss Sadie May is the little brown one, her paramour is the chatty one. He hasn’t been named yet, I’ve drawn a blank!

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oh how darn cute are they??!! 🥰😍🥰
He looks like a Mr Wigglesworth to me, but consider that my dog in the picture is Doodle Bug (first name Doodle, middle name Bug) so my ideas are bound to be funky. 😂🥰😂
One of our goats is named Pig (he ate like one as a baby) my dairy cow is Deja Moo and a past cow was Harriet Plopper!

Howdy and welcome! I prefer to add my fragrance to the oils before mixing in the lye solution - but everyone differs there. One tip is to read the users' reviews on the FOs you have bought, because they will tell what to watch out for - acceleration, discolouration, ricing etc.
Also maybe post your recipe here first so we can give our stamp of approval/ advice?

Howdy and welcome! I prefer to add my fragrance to the oils before mixing in the lye solution - but everyone differs there. One tip is to read the users' reviews on the FOs you have bought, because they will tell what to watch out for - acceleration, discolouration, ricing etc.
Also maybe post your recipe here first so we can give our stamp of approval/ advice?
I’m doing the
32% palm
32% olive
32% coconut (76)
4% castor oil
5% superfat

I’m feeling pretty proud of myself, I did my homework and converted this to a 3:1 lye to water ratio and make some hot process soap today. I really suck at putting the batter in the molds though! Also learned a very important lesson to not stir the batter to much, it started to harden on me. The top is really ugly ( I shaved the ugly off) I know it will be better as it cures but the little soap ball I made from the left over feels so nice. It does feel like it leaves some oil behind, do you know why
When my oils I ordered come in I was planning on
32% palm
32% olive pomace
32% coconut
4% castor
5% superfat
Any recommendations are appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. I'm also in Virginia, close to Yorktown.

This recipe would move fairly quickly for me, due to using palm (>30%) with castor, and then using olive pomace (which can speed trace compared with non-pomace OO)
32% palm
32% olive pomace
32% coconut
4% castor
5% superfat

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back