Hello from Australia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BushRanger

Reaction score
G'day folks, I'm an older bloke who's stumbled across soapmaking and found it a lot more interesting than I would have imagined. Quite new to it all, I've only made a few batches so far, but pretty happy with the results! I figured I'd lurk in the forums, see what I can pick up, and maybe one day I'll have enough experience to be able to contribute something meaningful to the discussions. Happy 2019 everyone :)

Welcome - I'm new too. Seems like a genuinely lovely place. I'm sure we will both enjoy it and learn a tremendous amount! But alas, you have gotten your feet wet already! At this time, I am merely a "soaping hopeful," lol.

Bush Ranger wrote: Grizzled old Aussie farmer, new to soapmaking, only made a few batches so far. Got interested after trying out my grandmother's old fat-and-wood-ash method. Thought I might lurk about and see what mischief you lot are up to!
Oh my, if you've done the "old fat-and-wood-ash method" you have my respect. Awesome.
Welcome.gif

Welcome BushRanger :). Where in Australia are you ? you must be in the bush to be burning hardwood.

Hehe nah not Glenrowan :)
Rural area about an hour out of Sydney. Plenty of eucalyptus and turpentine around!

... about an hour out of Sydney.

Neat. I grew up next door, about 800km to your SW on the Murray … admittedly a bit closer to Glenrowan :)

My partner and daughter fly over your way in the wee small hours tomorrow. I get to drive them to the airport at an even smaller hour :-(
Daughter straight down to Canberra for a competition.
Partner then flies Adelaide, then drives back via Melbourne and Canberra.

No cold weather now. I chuckled when asked whether a jacket should be packed. If there's even a hint of cool I will not be able to ever live down that 'comment'.

Neat. I grew up next door, about 800km to your SW on the Murray … admittedly a bit closer to Glenrowan :)

My partner and daughter fly over your way in the wee small hours tomorrow. I get to drive them to the airport at an even smaller hour :-(
Daughter straight down to Canberra for a competition.
Partner then flies Adelaide, then drives back via Melbourne and Canberra.

No cold weather now. I chuckled when asked whether a jacket should be packed. If there's even a hint of cool I will not be able to ever live down that 'comment'.

Wow that's a busy schedule!
I wouldn't be worrying too much about a jacket right now, we've had a string of days over 40 and it's not looking like it's going to let up before next week! Victoria can get a little nippy at night in some parts, but nothing too drastic.

You from down Albury-Wodonga way? Beautiful area, haven't been there since I was a kid.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, you're a friendly mob :)

You from down Albury-Wodonga way? Beautiful area, haven't been there since I was a kid.
Half way between there and Mildura. Even lovelier bush and river, but **** hot when it chose.
Yeah, have been tracking the weather. Needing a jacket likely to be the least of their problems right now.
At least they will have new soap when they get back … starting with (Zany's) seawater Castile planned for today.

Latest posts

Back