Heat guns?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grungedoll

Reaction score
I know most people use a heat gun for imperfections on candle tops, but I’ve also read a lot lately about people also using an embossing gun....? (I wasn’t sure it that would work) Which is better? And what models? I just need some actual model names (or even links?) so I can find a good one without spending a bunch of money to find out I got a dud. I know I’ve seen so many threads and articles on the subject but theres so many to choose from and many opinions. It’s hard to choose.

An embossing gun is a heat gun, just on a smaller scale. It's probably more controllable than a full sized heat gun because of the smaller opening. Personally, I have a Black & Decker heat gun like the one in this link: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004NDX7O6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used to have an older version of the same B&D heat gun many years ago (25ish) that I gave to my boss because I wasn't using it anymore (used to do a ton of rubber stamping but no longer have room and gave all my stamps, supplies, and equipment to my daughter).

Last edited by a moderator:
An embossing gun is a heat gun, just on a smaller scale. It's probably more controllable than a full sized heat gun because of the smaller opening. Personally, I have a Black & Decker heat gun like the one in this link: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004NDX7O6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used to have an older version of the same B&D heat gun many years ago (25ish) that I gave to my boss because I wasn't using it anymore (used to do a ton of rubber stamping but no longer have room and gave all my stamps, supplies, and equipment to my daughter).

Thank you for the response, Misschief! I'm leaning more myself lately to the embossing gun as I'm still a newbie and kind of freaked out a little with the idea of a huge heat gun, haha. But I wasn't totally sure how well that would actually work or if it would get hot enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same heat gun, It is not that hard to use. You just have to be careful where you put it down... don't let hot end touch anything, I used a metal bucket when I was peeling paint with mine.
I got mine at home Depot for like $40, It is a heavier product for removing paint. If there is an issue I could have returned it. Course this was before the Amazon craze ;)

What ever you do, DO NOT get the heat gun at harbor Freight !!! I just got one because it was smaller, but it SMOKED ! Like it was melting the insides. I returned it and vowed never to buy anything worth while from there again.

Back