Have you ever tried making a PVC mold into an oval shape ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Have you tried making an oval out of a PVC mold. I am wanting to try it , I think oval soap would be so cool. I could use some tips , if anyone has tried it .I have my heat gun ready :wink:

Kitn

Nizzy has a tutorial. I haven't tried oval yet, still liking the round ones. :wink:

artisan soaps said:
I'd love a vertical oval mold so I'm definitely interested in hearing how it works for you!

Did you get sick of eating all that yoghurt? :lol:

Not yet , but I have about 6 left :lol:

Kitn

Imblebee said:
Nizzy has a tutorial. I haven't tried oval yet, still liking the round ones. :wink:

I like the round ones too , I just want to try it , I have extra round pvc.
Thanks for the tip on nizzy's tut. Off to check it out :D

Kitn

I had the thick 3" PVC and placed it between 2 two-by-four pieces of wood in a vice. My husband heated with a torch as I squeezed closed the vice. I must have over shot and it cracked.

Gonna try again with the thinner-type PVC.

Kitn said:
Imblebee said:

Kitn

i love the 2" for guest soaps and samples. toying with the idea of 3" soaps. cut at 1" about how much does a cured bar weigh? or how thick do you slice yours and the net weight?

To make PVC tubing into an oval you'll need to get it heated to a consistent temperature. Considering the size, I don't hink a heat gun will cut it. If you cut a length that you can fit in the oven, I'd start with ~200*F and go up from there but I suspect it will be pliable closer to 250*F. I'd put it on the ground, put a board on top of it and push on it as hard as you need to with one foot. It will probably take ~10 minutes to cool.

heartsong said:
Kitn said:
Imblebee said:

Kitn

i love the 2" for guest soaps and samples. toying with the idea of 3" soaps. cut at 1" about how much does a cured bar weigh? or how thick do you slice yours and the net weight?

I cut them 1.25 inches for a cured weight of over 4 oz , I aim for about 4.6 when I first cut them .( I am the self proclaimed , worlds worst soap cutter ). I hadn't thought of 2 inch size . Thanks for the tip Monet , much appreciated , they would be perfect for samples , I have amassed a wack of tulle circles , super cheap at an auction , that would be perfect wrapping :D

Kitn

Thanks Chrissy :oops: I don't know what a friand is . But the mold shape sounds very good. I will have to look for one until I get the courage to put pvc in my brand new oven :shock: .

Kitn, I think a friand is a posh cupcake!! :lol:
Check out Walmart or one of those style shops you have over there, the ones that I have (I use them for my salt bars) are a perfect size, and you only need fill them up as much as you want to, so no cutting, or if you filled each one all the way you could cut them in half horizontally.

soapbuddy said:
I would not put a PVC in the oven. It will degass and could ruin your new oven.

I did make my oval PVC pipe in the oven :D

Before I did so, I looked up the properties, melting point, precautions, dangers like fumes ecc.
It really depends on the quality of the PVC - the ones you use as a discharge pipe for the sink are the best.

I stayed well below the melting point and it was in the oven only for a few minutes.
Apart from the fact that it is not perfectly oval, it was easy-peasy.

I thought I had posted this in an earlier topic already

I'm going to try my thin crystal light mold. I have 3 of them so why not?

My crystal light mold (actually Walmart sugar free grape drink copy) was polypropylene #5. I looked up the properties and the melting point was 160C/320F so I put it in the oven at 250F for maybe 5 or so minutes. Took it out and started molding it with some hand pot holders. Put it back in for a few more minutes and did the same thing. Finished with a book pressing on it. I didn't want it to be a flat oval. I can always heat it up more if needed. It hardly smelled and I didn't get it very hot at all. I could touch it with my hands. I did look up the properties for PVC and that's not something I'd put in my oven.

Here are some pics. Harder than you think to take pics of a tube.

dsc00573r.jpg

Next to another crystal light container.
dsc00578m.jpg

This will hold 12 oz of oil. I'm super excited about this since I actually hate round bars. I don't know why, but oval just seems so much more appealing. I do use the round mold for men's shaving soaps though. This will be great for my shampoo bar testers or any testers. Thanks for posting your idea kitn!

ETA: My only fear is that it will morph back to a circle when the soap gels and gets hot.

Just tried it with a salt bar recipe and it's not quite oval enough. also will never use a log for salt bars again!

so coooool!!!!!!!!!!

I am afraid Inever saw a bottle that size here :(
I don't think it will transform back into a round shape; give it a try!

Love the hummingbird on the carpet ;)

btw: The drainpipe did not smell either.

I ended up reheating the mold and squishing it down with a cutting board to give me a more oval shape. I'm going to try it on a beer shampoo bar when I get my wild strawberry FO next week. My salt bars that I made it in weren't quite oval enough, but at least not a circle. Great for giveaways.

The hummingbird is on my front door welcome mat. thanks!

Back