Has anyone here trademarked their business name?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintguru

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of at least registering my business idea locally, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to trademark my business name. Is it worth the $325+, at least when you are starting out?

IMHO, I would say no. BUT, you should find ways to prove the name is yours, such as setting up a FB page, domain registration, tax or reseller's permit, business bank account. Those will show when you started using the name.

There was someone (fellow soaper)recently that had a problem with someone trying to use their name to get a business loan. I am in the process of trademarking mine. That is the last thing you want is someone using your name after all the hard work you have done and having to go to court to prove the name is yours can be expensive.

There was someone (fellow soaper)recently that had a problem with someone trying to use their name to get a business loan. I am in the process of trademarking mine. That is the last thing you want is someone using your name after all the hard work you have done and having to go to court to prove the name is yours can be expensive.

Understood, but as my "brand" really has no meaning yet, or place in the market, I'm just wondering if one should wait to see if it takes hold before investing the money in the trademark. Plus, what happens if my brand name is not as popular or liked as I think it should be? Then I'd have to pay another fee to trademark a new name!! :oops:

Understood, but as my "brand" really has no meaning yet, or place in the market, I'm just wondering if one should wait to see if it takes hold before investing the money in the trademark. Plus, what happens if my brand name is not as popular or liked as I think it should be? Then I'd have to pay another fee to trademark a new name!! :oops:

Your right, and if you feel like trying name variations to see which one becomes popular then wait. :smile:

@Paintguru
It's been awhile since you asked this question and I'm wondering if you
eventually trademarked? I am in the planning/learning phase of selling
soap also and this is one of my concerns.

I do not have any business whatsoever. Therefore, I am not an expert. But, in this day and age of identity theft, I would do whatever I could to prevent someone else from stealing the identity of my business that I worked hard to start and make a go of.

^^^
I agree about the protection but do you think anything other than logo and business name is likely to be stolen? I would love complete protection but the trademarking seems so expensive. I wonder how many here trademark?

So I'm thinking of at least registering my business idea locally, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to trademark my business name. Is it worth the $325+, at least when you are starting out?

at the very least I think you should buy domain name of your company. That would make it very difficult if someone where to attempt to claim your name. Even if you get trademark in USA I don't believe it counts toward International Law and that is really where your at bigger risk of someone trying to claim your name.

Back