Hard Lotion Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkm8113

Reaction score
The recipe for Hard Lotion that I have found and want to try making calls for equal parts of Coconut Oil, Beeswax and Shea Butter. I thought I had Shea butter, but I don't, it is Cocoa Butter. Can I substitute the Shea with the Cocoa in the same proportions? I am so new at this that I don't know what to check to determine if the cocoa butter will do something different to the recipe and maybe not give me a hard bar of lotion. I was hoping to make this tonight, but I hesitate to get started until I know if I can use the Cocoa butter or not.

Since coconut oil is a hard oil and cocoa butter is a really hard butter, I'd decrease the beeswax.

I'd do
25% beeswax
40% Oil
35% Butter

If you don't add any fragrance, you can remelt everything and add more of beeswax, butter or oil if you find that it needs it.

I would agree to decrease the beeswax if using cocoa butter.

Equal parts is pretty standard..but my husband likes his bars a bit oily..so I always up that.

I will often add cocoa butter to a batch..just to get some hardness with out waxiness you can get from the bees. Since I add more oils and softer butters.

So how do you learn all this about the proper ratios to use. Is it all trial and error and experience or is there a chart somewhere that can help guide. And when given the percentages of oils to use, do you still just plug it into soap calc to figure the actual ounces to use. Is that the easiest way? I appreciate all the suggestions and help given here. I know it is hard for those of you that have been doing this for a while to answer some of the same questions from us newbies over and over. Thanks again for the help.

Genny said:
Since coconut oil is a hard oil and cocoa butter is a really hard butter, I'd decrease the beeswax.

I'd do
25% beeswax
40% Oil
35% Butter

If you don't add any fragrance, you can remelt everything and add more of beeswax, butter or oil if you find that it needs it.

I didn't add fragrance, and I am so glad, so I ended up remelting and adding more coconut oil, since that is what I had more of, and then I poured them out smaller. The first ones I poured were too big for the containers.

Not adding the fragrance is smart...for starting up..
Um...to figure out what you need, decide how many you need and how much each one weighs..if they one you made last night fits into what you want to put it in..weigh it..and the multiply that by the amount you want finished.

So if you need to make 6 bars, and they right size is 1.5oz = 9oz of total recipe. Then break down 9oz into the percentages you need of your ingredients.

Flameflightcc said:
Not adding the fragrance is smart...for starting up..
Um...to figure out what you need, decide how many you need and how much each one weighs..if they one you made last night fits into what you want to put it in..weigh it..and the multiply that by the amount you want finished.

So if you need to make 6 bars, and they right size is 1.5oz = 9oz of total recipe. Then break down 9oz into the percentages you need of your ingredients.

I guess what I was really asking is how do you know what percentages each oil or butter should be. There seems to be a science to getting harder/softer/creamier, etc. How do you know what percentage of each ingredient is in the right range?

I found a few recipes online and then manipulated them for me.

I highly suggest to not scent until you figure out the blend you want.

Here are a few that I play with. Gives you an idea of ratios and measurements.
These all came from the web.

Monoi Lotion Bar
1 oz beeswax
2.5oz Monoi or other very soft butter
2oz coconut oil
(this makes a very soft bar)

Standard Bar

1oz beeswax
1.5oz Mowrah butter (or Aloe, mango, shea..soft easy melt butter)
1oz oil (grapeseed, rice bran, sunflower)

A bit more ingredients.......

Energy Balm Bar

4oz beeswax
5oz butter
1oz Virgin Coconut Oil
1oz light oil
2oz Rice Bran Oil
1oz fragrance oil

jkm8113 said:
I guess what I was really asking is how do you know what percentages each oil or butter should be. There seems to be a science to getting harder/softer/creamier, etc. How do you know what percentage of each ingredient is in the right range?

Testing.

jkm8113 said:
So how do you learn all this about the proper ratios to use. Is it all trial and error and experience or is there a chart somewhere that can help guide. And when given the percentages of oils to use, do you still just plug it into soap calc to figure the actual ounces to use. Is that the easiest way? I appreciate all the suggestions and help given here. I know it is hard for those of you that have been doing this for a while to answer some of the same questions from us newbies over and over. Thanks again for the help.

It's going to be trial and error that will allow you to develop your recipes. There are guidelines that are really more of a suggestion than a "rule"....

Make really small batches and measure using grams instead of ounces so you can do accurate measuring.

To figure a recipe out that has been given to you in percentages do use soap calc and plug in the amount you want to end up with then put in your percentages.

Latest posts

Back