Hanger swirl tool - any DIY tools?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unscrewed the top and shortened the long length to fit my mould. I did it very gentle so none of the plastic coating broke and it is prefect. I will take a photo of it tomorrow the only thing I need to be careful of is I don’t poke my eye out when I am using it:rolleyes:

I unscrewed the top and shortened the long length to fit my mould. I did it very gentle so none of the plastic coating broke and it is prefect. I will take a photo of it tomorrow the only thing I need to be careful of is I don’t poke my eye out when I am using it:rolleyes:

You have me beyond confused since when have plastic hangers had anything that unscrews?

If theres a clumsy risk thats it iv already as good as lost an eye and filed a law suit against you for suggesting it ;)

No they are metal hangers, very thin but coated in plastic, really old fashioned ones. Not the plastic hangers you get today :)

Chris_S, here is a link to a soap made using a gear tie:

https://www.lovinsoap.com/2015/09/how-to-make-lavender-pumpkin-gear-tie-swirl-soap/

Here are what they look like when sold in packages containing various sizes.
multi-nite-ize-composite-fasteners-gtmp-11-a1-64_1000.jpg

Maybe they go by a different name in the UK?

Here is a video showing some traditional uses for gear ties:

Thank you i just ordered some on amazon couldnt find anywhere local to buy in highstreet shops

I used to "beef up' my wire hangers with either plastic straws or with bamboo skewers taped securely to the hangers, but I removed them all after watching Ione from Eve's Garden Soaps make the most beautiful flowery hanger swirls with just a regular wire hanger still in its triangular shape. The soap pictured in my avatar is a soap I swirled with just such a plain wire hanger (wrapped tightly with Glad Press n Seal to line over the wire). Here's a bigger version of it to see the swirls up close:

View attachment 35688

The swirls I use to make with my 'beefed up' hangers always came out nice enough, but never as pretty as the swirls I make with my skinny wire hangers. I confess I'm really partial to my skinny hangers.

IrishLass :)

Absolutely gorgeous! I love watching Eve's Garden Soaps on youtube too, Ione's one of my favorites!

I use a piece of scrap 12 gauge Romex cable (the same stuff the electricity in your house runs thru). If you take the sheathing off, there are 3 smaller wires inside. Each of these can be used for hanger swirl. Just bend it to the shape of your mold.

I keep the plastic/rubber coating on the individual strands though.

If you use the bare copper one, I'm not sure how it will react with the soap.

This is pretty much what Bramble Berry sells. I'm pretty sure it's this but in white. Sold by the foot at Lowe's, 33 cents/ft. The ends are capped off with little rounded silicone rubber end caps (no idea what they're really called). If I had known, I probably would have just went to Lowe's and cut what I needed.

I cannot get gear ties to work so my hubby made me one out of stainless rod, but is a little thicker than I wanted so I am working on him to make me a thinner one.
Carolyn, I was struggling with them too - more the shaping aspect of the gear tie than actually using it. I purchased a tool from Etsy that I do not have to shape, that is covered with plastic tubing. I had one on my hubby's to do list but he kept moving it to the bottom of the list so I bought one.

I am much happier with my swirls using the tool I bought compared to the gear tie. Gear ties are easy enough to find in most stores so I recommend at least trying one.

I love gear ties for smaller batches but they usually aren't sturdy enough for my longer soap molds. For those, I use one I made from an aluminum rod covered with plastic tubing.

I used to "beef up' my wire hangers with either plastic straws or with bamboo skewers taped securely to the hangers, but I removed them all after watching Ione from Eve's Garden Soaps make the most beautiful flowery hanger swirls with just a regular wire hanger still in its triangular shape. The soap pictured in my avatar is a soap I swirled with just such a plain wire hanger (wrapped tightly with Glad Press n Seal to line over the wire). Here's a bigger version of it to see the swirls up close:

View attachment 35688

The swirls I use to make with my 'beefed up' hangers always came out nice enough, but never as pretty as the swirls I make with my skinny wire hangers. I confess I'm really partial to my skinny hangers.

IrishLass :)
these are stunning!! I'm going to go find me some metal hangers right now. Thank you for sharing this and reminding me sometimes the best resources, are already in ones possession :)

Latest posts

Back