Hanger substitute?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Weird question i think

i bought some supplies and wanted to try swirling with a hanger tool. I forgot to buy the hanger tool, and i dont want to wait for another two weeks.

is there something else i could use?

I think the obvious answer might be an actual HANGER lol. I dont think i have a wire hanger around, and to my knowledge, local stores dont sell them as everybody avoids them like the plague to hang their clothes on.

any suggestions? Or just wait for the hanger tool?

I too use a gear tie. I would like to find something thinner though. I'm going to raid my mom's closet next time I go there and see if she has a regular hanger. I just cover it with electrical tape or plastic wrap. Not quite sure.

@shunt2011 I used electrical tape and it worked out great. Stays put after repeated washing and it’s easy to adjust the thickness you want it as you are wrapping it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 15
I too use a gear tie. I would like to find something thinner though. I'm going to raid my mom's closet next time I go there and see if she has a regular hanger. I just cover it with electrical tape or plastic wrap. Not quite sure.
I used a plastic coated hanger. A little thinner than the gear tie - love those too.
For a really fine one (that I also use for stamping decorations on top I use gardening wire. It’s really really thin Plastic coated wire That bends really well. Availablein the gardening section of the hardware store.

I used a plastic coated hanger. A little thinner than the gear tie - love those too.
For a really fine one (that I also use for stamping decorations on top I use gardening wire. It’s really really thin Plastic coated wire That bends really well. Availablein the gardening section of the hardware store.
I didn't think about the garden wire. I have a whole reel of it in my gardening tub. Thank you!

My goto hanger tool is one my hubby welded together out of approx 3/16th steel rod. It has lasted for years with no issues, and is used in most of my batches of soap. I also use a regular coated hanger from the cleaners. When the coating comes off too badly I just change the hanger. Gear ties just never worked for me.

Yeah, I’m not thrilled with my gear tie and a straw on a hanger is still too thick for me. I’m going to do the hanger with electrical tape next time.

Yeah, I’m not thrilled with my gear tie and a straw on a hanger is still too thick for me. I’m going to do the hanger with electrical tape next time.

Brambleberry’s hanger tool is good too, but a bit thicker than the hanger wrapped in electrical tape. Much thinner than a gear tie though.

Attachments

• 19B65747-4D85-49EC-B191-556174E7BD71.jpeg
    19B65747-4D85-49EC-B191-556174E7BD71.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 9
I’m not thrilled with my gear tie and a straw on a hanger is still too thick for me. I’m going to do the hanger with electrical tape next time.
I'm with ya on this Shunt! I always struggled with forming the gear tie (I think my OCD interfered with logical "good enough" and it had to be perfectly straight and shaped, and I just couldn't get it right). I never tried straws on a wire hanger, but for the Ione Swirl challenge, I used a wire hanger covered with electrical tape (I was worried about the plastic coating cracking and ending up in my soap, as well as I wasn't sure what the metal was), and I found that to be just right for the delicate swirling of the Ione swirl. I give it a big thumbs up.

My go to tool for swirling I ordered from Etsy - the maker now has their own site and isn't on Etsy - after seeing Julie (Ophelia's Soapery) using it.
https://www.workshopheritage.com/collections/accessories/products/soap-design-hanger-wire-12This works for my 12" and 24" mold. I wish they had a 6" version as well, but alas, they don't.

Another option is if you have or know someone who has 3d printer(s). Then you have an endless supply of tools. This is what I use for hangers, plus a couple of other tools I've printed.

View attachment 46887
I have been trying to talk my daughter into buying a 3d printer just for this!! So far she is not biting😪. It is hard when my molds are 18".

I have been trying to talk my daughter into buying a 3d printer just for this!! So far she is not biting😪. It is hard when my molds are 18".
Then use any item you can find, like what others mentioned. Wire, of any kind that is thick enough, left over electrical wire is something that will work, or most any thick wire. If the wire is not thick enough for you, but yet will stay straight when pulled through, then wrap with tape like shunt2011 suggested. Look around the house, I'm betting you have something you can MacGyver.

Then use any item you can find, like what others mentioned. Wire, of any kind that is thick enough, left over electrical wire is something that will work, or most any thick wire. If the wire is not thick enough for you, but yet will stay straight when pulled through, then wrap with tape like shunt2011 suggested. Look around the house, I'm betting you have something you can MacGyver.
As I mentioned I have one my hubby made that works fine.

I almost made one out of bailing wire the other day, but was worried about a reaction with the metal. I’m excited to try it wrapped in electrical tape. If I don’t have electrical tape, would duct tape work the same? I’ve got tons of that!

I almost made one out of bailing wire the other day, but was worried about a reaction with the metal. I’m excited to try it wrapped in electrical tape. If I don’t have electrical tape, would duct tape work the same? I’ve got tons of that!

I think duct tape would work. It’s just a bit of a pain to work with. Very sticky. Lol

Latest posts

Back