Hair Gel anyone? I made it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianbeauty

Reaction score
Ok,

So i am looking into making my own vegan body and hair care products. I ran into a recipe on how to make Flax Seed Gel (FSG)
It is perfect and ideal for dry curly hair or even straight hair.
IT is great for definning curls or smoothing the hair.

You start with these ingredients:
1/2 cup Flax seeds
1 TBSP of aloe vera gel
1 strainer
1 pot
1 cup water
1 bowl or container to place your gel in

So you start by boiling your water in your pot on HIGH heat.
Then place your flax seeds in the boiling water
Let the mixture boil
Continuously Mix with a spoon
Mix until you get a "snot/slimy" texture :lol:

Let this simmer for about 5 minutes once you see that texture and see a huge white froth on top of the mixture.
Turn off heat.
Now get your bowl, place the strainer over your bowl and pour the mixture in the strainer.
It will be slimy and glocky.
Et voila! Place it in your container and you have hair gel.

You can place preservatives in this mixture to keep it from spoiling. I use lavender oil and vitamin E oil.

I have curly hair ladies and frizz is always an issue, so this has been very helpful because it is so water soluble and just melts and glides in the hair like. No hardness or crunch.

Try it--it only takes 10 minutes to complete.

I make and use homemade flax seed gel, too. It's great stuff and you can add extra ingredients customized for you hair needs. Just 1/4 teaspoon of agave or honey helps with hold; 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts/magnesium sulfate helps increase curliness. Aloe vera juice or gel can also be added, as can various oils. Extra gel can be frozen, and the seeds can be reused a couple of times. (Freeze until needed.) You do have to use A LOT of this for best results, much more than a commercial gel. My hair is past my shoulders and I use at least 3 oz.

If you want to try a ready made FSG, check out BotticelliBotanicals on Etsy.

Latest posts

Back