Ground pumice in soap - Pros and cons

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29721

IG: @truesoapgeek
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Has anyone added ground pumice to the CP soap for exfoliation? I'd like to give it a try but afraid it might be a bit too rough. What amount is good to start with? Share your experience/stories/pictures please!

Me, too. I make a pumice soap for washing extra dirty hands from gardening with a fine-grade of pumice. Adds just the right amount of scrubbiness without being abrasive. You can get different grades/grinds. I got mine from WSP. They have 2 grades- regular and extra fine for sensitive skin. I'm pretty sure mine is the regular, which is pretty fine.

IrishLass :)

Thank you! What amount do you add? Do you just eyeball it or follow certain proportion?

I made a pumice and poppy seed soap with the intention of keeping it in the shower as a foot scrubby soap. I could only get fine ground pumice and I reckon it's too fine. However it does seem to work (I only started using it two days ago, 4 weeks into the cure) as a fine exfoliant. I towuld be great as a gardeners hand soap I reckon. I put in 90g into 1kg oils - so just shy of 10%. (It was half a cup initially but thought it didn't look enough, so put in more). I also used two essential oils: Spearmint and Lemongrass. Very fresh smelling.
fullsizeoutput_4e55.jpeg

Is there anything you'd change now that you've been making a scrubby soap for two years? I did a small test batch last night, 12 ounces of oils (340g), and added a combination of exfoliants: fine ground pumice powder, ground poppy seeds, jojoba meal, ground walnut shells, Fuller's Earth Clay, basically I added a total of 8 teaspoons of exfoliants in total. I see the speckles in the soap, but I do not feel the exfoliants at all when testing them. Understand, they're not cured yet, but I tested a sliver of one. I did force gel. Any ideas on what to do to make a better "scrubby" bar?

Latest posts

Back