Grocery store soap challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll head to the grocery store and pick up some coconut oil, olive oil, and spectrum organic shortening ( i've used that too @AliOop
I woke up this morning thinking the same! -- a basic Trinity of Oils Soap-- with Olive Oil, not Canola. The difference in price is mere ¢¢¢ per oz, so why not incorporate the unique quality of OO to bring the other oils into saponification?! The recipe in the linked thread is a darn near perfect combo - for hardness, cleansing, conditioning, Sat/Unsat balance, INS 157 (INS value of 160 is so-called "perfect soap".)

I'd check the baking/storage sections for a silicone or plastic loaf pan. Butcher paper, freezer paper or wax paper for lining. I once used a half-gallon milk carton, laid on its side. Fabricated to similate 3.5" W X 8" L X 2.5" D loaf mold.

The big challenge is fragrance. The next time I go to the store, I'm going to check out the bath & body section and the pharmacy to find something that would work. Campho Phenique anyone?

Last edited:
I am curious about the pine tar. Is it for fragrance or something else? What does it add to the soap? How much do you add. Intriguing.
This is one of those questions that deserves its own thread. Pine Tar Soap has been discussed many times. You could also do a Search using the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of this page to learn more. :nodding:
My first batches were all molded in boxes from the post office lined with freezer paper.
Whoa! No offense intended, but it's perfectly OK to re-purpose a used USPS box, but not a new one -- it's illegal. ;) I only mention that so other Newbies reading this thread don't do it. There's a recent thread on the subject. Take a look:

I have not tried it but wondering if powdered buttermilk would add something to the soap? Hmmm
Yes. It's on my list above. Follow the directions for use rate. Add the powder to your warmed oils before adding the lye solution.

My apologies to the OP for the Hijacks. :( For those who are unaware, a hijack is any off topic question or comment that starts another discussion other than the topic in the Title box. Best to start a new thread. ;)

Last edited:
I woke up this morning thinking the same! -- a basic Trinity of Oils -- with Olive Oil, not Canola. The difference in price is mere ¢¢¢ per oz, so why not incorporate the unique quality of OO to bring the other oils into saponification?! The recipe in the linked thread is a darn near perfect combo - for hardness, cleansing, conditioning, Sat/Unsat balance, INS 157 (INS value of 160 is so-called "perfect soap".) I'd check the baking/storage sections for a silicone or plastic loaf pan. Butcher paper or wax paper for lining. I once used a half-gallon milk carton, laid on its side. Reworked to similate 3.5" W X 8" L X 2.5" loaf mold.

The big challenge is fragrance. The next time I go to the store, I'm going to check out the bath & body section and the pharmacy to find something that would work. Campho Phenique anyone?
LOL, I've seen tea tree at our store in the pharmacy section. Might be a good time to use that? :rolleyes:

Been there, done that. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Crisco Shortening...juice carton. It was my very first soap.

It was a 'community' soap class. We mixed our lye in glass mason jars. Candy Thermometers. No Stick Blenders...just spoons or whisks.

It was soap. It got you clean.

I

I am curious about the pine tar. Is it for fragrance or something else? What does it add to the soap? How much do you add. Intriguing.
Like another comment mentioned, take a look in the forum search for some info! I posted my recipe on another thread recently. I'm using it for possible benefits for eczema type issues.

A supermarket around here sells bulk gianduja for baking in small 125 g portions, that happen to have the perfect size and shape for individual soap bars, including small test batches. If you can live with a mirror-inverted ♷ sign on the bar.

ETA photo:
gianduja_mould.jpg
(Turns out the recycling code is embossed in a way that is not mirrored.)

Last edited:
Attention shoppers! You’ve got lye waiting for you at home, but you have no oils, additives or molds. The challenge is to make an excellent soap using at least 3 oils that can be found in virtually any grocery store. As far as additives go, none or many. You MUST pick a mold from products or containers found in the store. Bonus points if you use the contents of said container in your soap 😉

Yep, I have done this many a time since I started soaping. Probably won't actually participate in your challenge this month though, as I have surgery on Wednesday and already have 2 soaps I want to make prior to being restricted for 6-8 weeks from using my dominant hand post-surgery. In fact, I don't think I'll be making soap again until probably June.

Molds:
I have collected display boxes (free) at the store to use as molds, and they work quite well lined with Freezer Paper (also from the grocer). One of many grocery store cavity silicone molds I have is the state of Texas I got at HEB (my favorite grocery store in Texas). It has 6 individual cavities shaped like the state with a center hole to fill in later with a contrasting soap. It is a fun mold. Early in my soaping days and early in my traveling soaping experience, I used buttermilk cartons frequently as my mold and added buttermilk to the soap if I had any left over after drinking it (usually none left over, because I really enjoy buttermilk.)

Colorants:
Grocery store colorants I have used run the gamut of spices, vitamins (carotene gel tabs in the vitamins aisle), powdered foodstuffs (matcha tea for example), eye makeup (with varying degrees of success & failure), even clothing (Rit) dye, although it is not recommended (I had to try it at least once early in my soaping adventure), food coloring & cake frosting colorants (with varying degrees of success & failure), and pretty much all the obvious ones like cocoa powder, activated charcoal, carrots, tomato purée, spinach, avocado, etc.

Oils:
As everyone many have mentioned, there are often plenty of oils available for use in many grocery stores. Almond oil has become harder to find, but the Asian market in the Cities sometimes has it in stock. In fact, the Asian market is a fun place to shop as there are all sorts of gems that can be found, not only for cooking, but to use in soap as well. Same for the Mexican mercado, especially for inexpensive herbs for infusion and coloring soap. I have also used Sesame oil, Walnut oil, even Macadamia nut oil in soap, but prefer it in cooking for the nutty flavors they impart. But the choice of oils in grocery stores seems to have diminished over the years, even when I travel I notice this is the case, so it's not just here in my part of the Midwest. Now it's mostly OO, CO, Avocado (sometimes, but not always), vegetable shortening (I don't use it, but have in the past), lard (only in some stores, not all & I don't like it in soap anyway), Canola, Sunflower & rarely Safflower oil. Peanut oil and Soybean oils I prefer to avoid in soap, although I have used them in the past. So for me, the grocery store oils I still use are: OO, CO, Avocado, HO Sunflower & HO Canola when I can find them. Palm shortening (Spectrum brand) is available in some grocers and I have used it in the past when traveling. Cocoa butter is carried in some grocers (in the aisle where lip balms and personal care items are sold), castor oil (in the pharmacy or healthcare aisle in some markets.)

Liquids for lye solution:
Liquid replacements I have used from the grocer include: aloe vera juice, vinegar, komucha, beer, wine, buttermilk, and of course the obvious distilled water. I have experimented with lemon juice in smaller amounts (using bottled Real Lemon). I used to make tea infusions for water replacement quite often, including marshmallow root (actually from a health food store, but it counts as a grocer since it is food they sell), as well as chamomile tea both as water replacement and the tea itself for exfoliation. I have also used home-made Rejuvalac made with raw grains purchased at my favorite health food store (another specialty grocer.)

Fragrance:
Some grocers carry Essential Oils as well, and before I started buying from soap suppliers, I used some of them in soap to varying degrees of success. Lemongrass is the longest lasting EO in soap in my experience.

Additives:
Rice & rice flower, cornmeal, honey, maple syrup (made my soap too spongy), sugar (any variety), agave syrup (sparingly), salt (avoid sharp salts like Himalayan), coffee (finely ground), tea (IME - dried leaves tend to be very exfoliating in soap, so I stopped using it), plain unflavored yogurt (the cheap stuff - never the Icelandic because it is just too tasty), flowers (many stores sell flowers), etc.

Some grocery items I have recently used more recently include rice & rice flour (for rice soap), corn silk after husking corn on the cob (for adding to lye solution for a vegan soap in place of spider silk), why I have even made soap using black cherries (for a Soap Challenge Club soap a year or so ago).

I've been at this longer than most of the members. In my early days, I did a lot of experimentation. Off the top of my head, in addition to the base oils already mentioned...

Sunflower Oil
Grape Seed Oil
Carrot (infuse in oil)
Lettuce (infuse in oil)
Tomato (infuse in oil)
Beet juice
Cucumber
Parsley, fresh & dried
Lemon & orange - juice & rind
Realemon Juice
Potato (water for lye solution)
Rice (water for lye solution)
Pasta (water for lye solution)
Teas: Green, chamomile, rooibos
Coffee, Instant coffee, Espresso powder
Honey, Molasses, Maple Syrup
Oat flour, Barley flour, Rice flour
Oatmeal, corn starch, baking soda
Sea Salt
Spices: Cinnamon, clove, paprika, bay leaves
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beer & wine
Castor oil
Aloe juice & gel
Vitamin E capsules (antioxidant)
Bera Carotene capsules (colorant)
Frozen Blueberries (juice for colorant)
Baby food - carrot, spinach (colorant)
Crayola Crayons (colorant)
Egg
Dairy & Non-dairy milk, cream, yogurt
Powdered milk, buttermilk, goat milk
Carnation Condensed Milk
Meyenberg canned goat milk
Dried sea weed
Pringles (mold)
1 lb. lard box (mold)
Cupcake//muffin liners (mold)
Milk/OJ cartons (mold)
Nancy's Mini Quiche (multi-cavity mold)
WOW Thats quite the list 🤣👍🏼🧼

Excellent, then one gets to eat the nougat, too! 😄
One has to make sacrifies 😋

In fact, the Asian market is a fun place to shop as there are all sorts of gems that can be found, not only for cooking, but to use in soap as well.
Yes! I have my castor, rice bran and red palm oil from there. I'm also regularly shopping obscene amounts of peanut butter, various coconut stuff, and underrated goodies like pandanus leaves.

This is one of those questions that deserves its own thread. Pine Tar Soap has been discussed many times. You could also do a Search using the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of this page to learn more. :nodding:

Whoa! No offense intended, but it's perfectly OK to re-purpose a used USPS box, but not a new one -- it's illegal. ;) I only mention that so other Newbies reading this thread don't do it. There's a recent thread on the subject. Take a look:

Yes. It's on my list above. Follow the directions for use rate. Add the powder to your warmed oils before adding the lye solution.

My apologies to the OP for the Hijacks. :( For those who are unaware, a hijack is any off topic question or comment that starts another discussion other than the topic in the Title box. Best to start a new thread. ;)
Sorry and thank you.

SERIOUSLY, have you used almond butter before? That's so cool! I would never think of that. I've made it many time, but to use in soap?!?!?! AWESOME!
Haha! No, I have never actually used it in soaping. I took the challenge as more of a "what if" kinda game and sorta made it up as I went along. I did put everything into soapcalc to be sure it would actually work. However, not sure how well the recipe would actually turn out in a real soap pot. :)

On the other hand, I do love to eat Almond Butter! 😀

After posting this I heard from someone else that using real butter in soap is a bad idea and that the soap will stink.
Also, she said soaping with mct oil is a bad idea, even for "after" the cook in hot process. I've never tried it though.

What does lemon juice add to the soap please? Also is the dried parsley for colour or exfoliation?
Not Zany, but I have used both.

Parsley for color, in my case, it faded to a light beige or almost colorless in a very short time.

As for what lemon brings to the soap, in my experience, nothing of note. It consumes some of the lye, though, so an adjustment to the lye is in order if used in large amounts. I only experimented with it and haven't used it in ages because it didn't contribute anything discernible to the soap.

@Basil Sure.
@DMack Best to do a search for answers.
When I first started out in 2004 I participated in a year of Soap Swaps that had specific challenges associated with them. I remembered using Reallemon Juice as 1/3 of the liquid to make the lye solution but added at the end of the cook. Dried parsley, as well as any number of dried herbs & spices, were used when I went on a jag to discover which ones worked for natural colorants. It was fun at the time, but I no longer have access to my notes. :(

ETA: Just found this link to Mueller Lane Farms NATURAL COLORANT LIST:
https://www.mullerslanefarm.com/soapcolors.html

Back