Got a good Egyptian Musk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsForrest

Reaction score
So, I have a customer who has requested Egyptian musk and wants a couple dozen bars.
I make CP and have tried both NG and Aztec's Egyptian musk FO at 5% of oils and both are pleasant but really faint after 6 weeks of cure.

Does anyone have a better Egyptian musk for CP?
Is 5% just not enough for this one? Is there a stronger version from another supplier?
Can anyone offer a comparison between Oregon Trail's version and NG or Aztec?

I used OT Egyptian Musk fall 2019 at 5% and the soaps were plenty strong to sell this year. I think OT earthy fragrances have nice strength but they are not at the same price point as NG and Aztec. Most NG fragrances I have used I use at 6%.

Well, after talking to Suz at OT I bought a bottle of her Egyptian Musk and a bottle of Frankincense and Myrhh. She was very nice to talk to and did her best to be helpful. I do wish she had more info on her website like WSP and NG do but I get the feeling OT is a much smaller operation and loading all that product info on a website is a lot of work.
I already made batches with both FOs. The musk I used at 6% and it is much stronger than either the NG or the Aztec versions.
The musk did accelerate trace. It thickened up as fast as my pine tar soap does. I wasn't expecting it to trace so fast so I had quite a rush to get it into the mold and it has some bubbles in it after the cut. The second batch went better since I was expecting the fast trace.
After six days now, the scent is already morphing and becoming more musky. Definitely a better result than the NG or Aztec.
The frankincense and myrhh I'm not sure about yet. It also traced rather fast but once again I was watching for it so it didn't get away from me. When I cut that one it had a 1/8" or so dark layer around it and the whole thing has discolored brown over a couple days on the curing rack. The dark color should be ok for frankincense and myrhh though.

I'm glad you liked the OT fragrance. I should have commented about trace but I have been using a simple design over the years and don't think much about it when I make the soap. I have time for a multiple in the pot swirl. I think the issue is that there isn't time for other things. The soap discolors a medium tan and I use black and white for swirls and like the tan with them.

I agree that I would like the OT site better if there was more info as well as cheaper shipping. However, I like some of her fragrances well enough that I put up with that. I'm sure you are right that it is a much smaller company than WSP and NG. I haven't used her Frank & Myrhh so will be curious if the scent works out for you. I also use her Egyptian Dragon and have used her Green Irish Tweed in the past.

Latest posts

Back