Goats milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Reaction score
I've made several batches of GM soap and they have turned out well. I just bought a couple of books and they both say milk MUST be pasteurized, but they don't say why. I have not pasteurized any of my milk. It goes straight from the goat to the freezer. I add my lye to the frozen GM. My oldest batch is just turning 4 weeks old this week. Is it going to spoil or something? Thanks....

Roscoe said:
I've made several batches of GM soap and they have turned out well. I just bought a couple of books and they both say milk MUST be pasteurized, but they don't say why. I have not pasteurized any of my milk. It goes straight from the goat to the freezer. I add my lye to the frozen GM. My oldest batch is just turning 4 weeks old this week. Is it going to spoil or something? Thanks....

No it won't spoil. I've been making gm soaps off/on for 13 yrs now and have never pasteurized my milk and mine turn out lovely.
IDLaura

Roscoe said:
I just bought a couple of books and they both say milk MUST be pasteurized,....

You can just file that under 'Soaping Myths Disproven'.

As you travel on your soaping journey and make lots of batches of soap and do soap experiments, you will find that there are many soaping books out there (as well as posts on some forums and info on some websites) with unproven statements, opinions, and theories that get recycled and repeated as 'facts', but which have absolutely no facts to back them up. It's always shocking when one runs into such misinformation, especially published misinformation, but the longer one soaps, the more one sees that it happens quite often. I believe the reason why the authors of your books don't mention WHY they think the milk needs to be pasteurized is because they probably read it in someone else's book (which also didn't mention WHY), and just assumed it was true and decided to pass along what they honestly believed to be important information, but unfortunately they didn't test the theory out for themselves and all they ended up doing is passing along misinformation.

I'm glad you decided to question it and check it out.

IrishLass :)

While I live in the country, I don't have goats or know anyone with goats. I did see at the store in the baking isle what looked like condensced goats milk in cans. Has anyone ever used this? Or should I look for goats milk near the regular milk section? Just not sure where to get goats milk since i don't have a fresh source. Thanks!

I just get my GM straight from a carton where the fresh milk is and never had any problem with it.

I've got some bars of goat's milk soap from my earliest batches that are going on for two years old. The milk came straight from the goats, no pasteurizing, and they're just as nice as when I made them! :D

I read about having to pasteurize the milk, too, and thought it didn't make any sense. Raw milk keeps longer than pasteurized. :roll:

tryanything said:
While I live in the country, I don't have goats or know anyone with goats. I did see at the store in the baking isle what looked like condensced goats milk in cans. Has anyone ever used this? Or should I look for goats milk near the regular milk section? Just not sure where to get goats milk since i don't have a fresh source. Thanks!

I have bought 2 cans of this gm, and made 1 batch of soap with it, and it worked out fine. I have never seen gm in the dairy section with the other milk, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong stores.
Wouldn't the gm that is in the dairy case be pasteurized?

I think the heating that happens in the lye mixture process would pasteurize the milk anyway.

I find it hard to believe any bacteria would survive the saponification process. I could be wrong.

I've also read that the lactic acid in spoiled milk is also a good thing. mine is either fresh or frozen (within a day of milking).

Starum said:
Raw milk keeps longer than pasteurized.

You mean raw milk soap, right ? Because raw milk doesn't :)

I believe the raw milk keeps longer. In fact....I buy raw milk in the carton. I have let it set out on the counter for days then used it to make soap. Worked fine. I believe I learned way back when that a certain person on this forum kept it in buckets, unrefridgerated.

I've never tried the pasteurized kind, so couldn't say how it holds up or how it works in soap.

I don't pasteurize any of my GM either. Lots of times my soap milk is the milk that is the oldest and on its way to spoiling. Never had an issue with it. I also use milk as 100% of the liquid, so if it was going to go bad in the soap, I'd probably know by now.

FreeRabbit said:
what about spoiled GM? will that work well in a soap?

Spoiled or past it's "drink by date"? I've got some raw cow's milk in the fridge which is past it's date but I'm going to add it to soap and it will be just fine. It's just starting to sour. :wink:

Half Caper Farm said:
No, I mean raw milk. 8)

I agree with you. Ultra High Pasteurization (UHP) milk will last longer and doesn't need to be refrigerated....but people can't conceive the idea of drinking milk that's not in a cooler....but regular pasteurized milk doesn't last as long as my goat milk. As long as my refrigerator is at 38F (or a bit cooler), my goat milk has lasted as long as 25 days. Don't know if it would last longer as by that time, it's used for cheese or soaps!
IDahoLaura

Latest posts

Back