goats milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
ok, so i froze some gm , then i add it to lye, then do i need i certain temp before adding it to oils? Also, can i make this gm with hp and cp? Im used to doing both methods, jus not with gm.

ok i added lye to kinda frozen gm, it sure does smell, it disolved well, then added to oils in crock(hp) it got the gel ring around edge, then next time i looked, very short time the ring was gone, it was very slushy, not like most hp looks, i just kept stirring and it seemed to fluff up, then scented with "mary jane" my does it smell in here! I'll send pic when done.

They say to add it super slow, even as long as 30min.! I'm too impatient for that!
Then I've heard some put the frozen goat milk in the container and slowly pour the lye over it...very very slowly. Again I don't have the patients! lol

What I do with both cp and hp is begin adding my lye to my soap at about 100 degrees and then I add my milk to soap at trace. Much faster! lol

honor435 said:
ok, so i froze some gm , then i add it to lye, then do i need i certain temp before adding it to oils? Also, can i make this gm with hp and cp? Im used to doing both methods, jus not with gm.

Hi,

Here s my humble contribution for cp:
I add the lye to the frozen milk and leave it for an hour (I never bother with the temp).
I also use an other way, quicker since you don't need to freeze the gm.
Let s say I figure I need 300 ml of liquid. I mix with the butter+oil melt mix 100 ml of milk which leave me with 200 ml of water for the lye. If I want more milk in my bar I go up to 200 ml and disolve the lye in 100 ml of water. I hope it is clear. If not, let me know.
Isy

(numbers are examples, I'm pulling them out of thin air here!)

If I need 12oz of liquid, and 4oz of lye..

I'll mix the 4oz of lye in 4oz of liquid, which leaves me with 8oz of liquid that I haven't used.

I add 8oz of cold (not frozen, just cold) GM to my oils and stickblend like crazy.. add the FO and such too, then slowly add the 4oz lye solution.

Easy breezy! :)

i edited my orig post can you tell me if this is how its supposed to look?

This is funny...I just finished a batch of hp too and mine looked like that. But I didn't add the milk to the lye, I added mine to the oils just before slowly adding the lye. Seems to be fine. I made a ball out of the left overs in the pot and it suds and everything just fine:)

dixie
so, did you add lye to some water then add gm to mix?

No, I mix the lye and water solution like always, subtracting 4 oz of water because I want to add four ounces of milk. I add the milk to the oils and mix, THEN slowly add the lye to the oils.

Dixie
my first batch of gm soap looks a little oily, is that normal, i put all gm instead of 1/2 water. i had coc, shea, avacado butter, palm kernel, olive, looks a nice golden brown and is scented cin buns, and looks really smooth, for a hp!

Did you add glycerin at the end? If so then that's why it feels greasy and yea it will be fine. I wiped mine off a little and put it on the shelf to dry. I checked it just yesterday and it's almost dry....the oilyness with go away:) How did it turn out? Did you like it?

i love the color and smell, needs to cure, but i think i will add gm to oils next time not the lye? what color was yours and what scent? mines pumpkin/brown.

Dixie said:
Did you add glycerin at the end? If so then that's why it feels greasy and yea it will be fine. I wiped mine off a little and put it on the shelf to dry. I checked it just yesterday and it's almost dry....the oilyness with go away:) How did it turn out? Did you like it?

Oh my goat!!!! :shock: , I made a cp gm last night, I put some gycerine at the end and let it all set up, a couple of hours later I noticed it had a little droplet here and there over the batch and totally freaked out over it so I decided to dump it all into a pot and cook it, I made little rocks out of it but now i'm REALLY unhappy with it because it feels oily to the touch.

Question, if I stuck these "rocks" into a new batch of soap to make a two toned rock loaf lol would that work?

honor435, sorry to hijack your thread for a moment, i'm just in a frenzie over this batch, all my gm's have always turned out, now i'm gonna go eat some Humble pie :?

honor, one I fragranced and one I didn't.

Galavanting Gifts, I'm so sorry hun! I don't know what to tell you to do, I'm sure someone will be able to come along and help you. I've never made the rocks before, are they real real hard?

Thanks Dixie, yeah they're all hard considering they're only about 12 hours old, they just have a silky/slippery feel to them although they don't look oily and they don't leave a residue on my fingers. That humble pie I spoke of is almost choking me to eat it lol.

Dixie
Mine is kinda oily looking too, i didnt add glycerine, what is up w our soap? I kinda freaked out too, but id didnt put it back in pot, i just threw the whole wood mold in the oven, in case it wasnt done cooking, i dont know too much about rebatching, i did it twice, its very chunky looking, so soap rocks would be good.
Anyone out there that cant answer questions about out gm soap, why it looks oily????

Latest posts

Back