Goats Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@earlene, I think goats milk is an acquired taste/smell. I grew up with cows milk and hate the smell and taste of goats milk. Maybe those that grow up on goats milk hate the taste and smell of cows milk. :)

It seems the jury is out on perception vs reality. However, I am a firm believer in that perception does indeed equal reality in many cases. So I'm ok with either outcome. :)

I can't wait to make these and and do some comparison testing. :)

OK. Funny story. My late husband "hated" goat milk. Nothing I could do or say could encourage him to drink it. So I bought him half gallons of whole milk from the store. One day - he was running really low, and I didn't have time to go to the store (half an hour drive each way from the house), so I topped it up from my Nubian's milk. He said it tasted "different" but so much creamier. He loved it. I never told him it was goat's milk and he drank it for the next 2 years, never knowing... The secret is to filter it immediately it is taken, and to get it cooled way down fast. I love goat milk. I wish I had my girls again. I may buy another one this summer.

He said it tasted "different" but so much creamier. He loved it. I never told him it was goat's milk and he drank it for the next 2 years, never knowing... The secret is to filter it immediately it is taken, and to get it cooled way down fast. I love goat milk. I wish I had my girls again. I may buy another one this summer.
Haha, I've never had fresh goat milk but it seems "fresh" is the key. I think there might be a few goat farms around here. I might try to find a source and give it a try. :)

What is the filtering for? Does cow milk get filtered as well?

Haha, I've never had fresh goat milk but it seems "fresh" is the key. I think there might be a few goat farms around here. I might try to find a source and give it a try. :)

What is the filtering for? Does cow milk get filtered as well?

Fresh is definitely the key. I cannot stomach the stuff they sell in the store. It is filtered to remove any foreign substances. Even though I thoroughly washed and rinsed the udders directly before milking, and although my milking area was scrupulously cleaned, there is still the chance that a stray hair from her shaking herself, or a bit of feed dust from the feed pan on the milking stand (I gave my does their extra grain rations while they were on the stand being milked) will get into the milk. It is just good practice. The lady that I get my raw Jersey milk from uses a milking machine with a built in filter...

@Kcryss I’m late to the party, but fully agree that it’s nice to have you back. I’m very happy to hear that you’re feeling better ❤️.

I’m a little sentimental about GM soap because it’s one of the first soaps I tried to make. I use ”fresh” goat milk from the grocery store, freeze it, take my time adding the lye, put the batter in cavity molds and put the molds in the refrigerator so the color stays light. For me, it’s slow soaping at it’s best.

May I please get a hold of this recipe?
Sure, it was technically a Bastile since I used the ZNSC recipe for faux sea water here, and my oils were 80% OO and 20% CO, 0%SF.

I added 1 T powdered GM PPO, which I stickblended into the oils before adding my lye solution.

Thank you for your reply, that is exactly how I make my milk soaps. However AliOop was referencing using GM in her Zany's OO soap. I make it with the original recipe - which is made with brine - and was enquiring how she incorporated the milk.
@MaryinOK I am so sorry that I didn't see your request for this back in April - not sure how I missed it! Anyway, I do use powdered GM, so I stickblend it right into the oils. That way, it doesn't change how to make or use the faux seawater..

Last edited:
my best selling GM soaps are Oatmeal, milk, and honey
Ditto! Interestingly, it's the only soap I HP! 😁

I prefer using Meyenburg Goat Milk Powder added to my warmed oils (CP). SB for one full minute. It takes the fuss out of making the lye solution. Whole Foods, Sprouts or similar health food stores carry it.
TIP: Make the lye the night before and add it chilled straight from the fridge. :thumbup:

Benefits of Goat Milk Soap

ETA:
don't like the smell of their milk
That reminds me, when I first made GM soap with canned GM it often had an odor, like ammonia. It does go away during cure.

TIP: GM soap is normally some shade of tan. If you want white GM, add 1 tsp - 1 tbls White Kaolin Clay PPO to the batch and make room for the (covered) mold in the fridge. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ditto! Interestingly, it's the only soap I HP! 😁

I prefer using Meyenburg Goat Milk Powder added to my warmed oils (CP). SB for one full minute. It takes the fuss out of making the lye solution. Whole Foods, Sprouts or similar health food stores carry it.
TIP: Make the lye the night before and add it chilled straight from the fridge. :thumbup:

Benefits of Goat Milk Soap

ETA:

That reminds me, when I first made GM soap with canned GM it often had an odor, like ammonia. It does go away during cure.

TIP: GM soap is normally some shade of tan. If you want white GM, add 1 tsp - 1 tbls White Kaolin Clay PPO to the batch and make room for the (covered) mold in the fridge. :thumbup:

I used to use Meyenberg GM powder too and love it but it is too darn expensive now, I can't justify, darn it..I am considering using powdered cow milk, finding much better pricing and I bet it works out the same as far as performance..Question, why do people use goat GM more so than regular anyway, what is the difference?

Not sure how I hadn't seen this before! Sorry for such a late reply.

Fresh is definitely the key. I cannot stomach the stuff they sell in the store. It is filtered to remove any foreign substances. Even though I thoroughly washed and rinsed the udders directly before milking, and although my milking area was scrupulously cleaned, there is still the chance that a stray hair from her shaking herself, or a bit of feed dust from the feed pan on the milking stand (I gave my does their extra grain rations while they were on the stand being milked) will get into the milk. It is just good practice. The lady that I get my raw Jersey milk from uses a milking machine with a built in filter...
Ahh, totally makes sense! I hadn't even thought about stray hairs etc. :)
I grew up on raw milk. On occasion my mother would skim the cream from the top and let us have it. That was a rare treat but one I will always remember. :)

I’m late to the party, but fully agree that it’s nice to have you back. I’m very happy to hear that you’re feeling better ❤.

I'm even later to the party! :)
Thank you! :)

I’m a little sentimental about GM soap because it’s one of the first soaps I tried to make. I use ”fresh” goat milk from the grocery store, freeze it, take my time adding the lye, put the batter in cavity molds and put the molds in the refrigerator so the color stays light. For me, it’s slow soaping at it’s best.

Haha! I don't think I have enough patience for slow soaping.

Latest posts

Back