Goat's milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jean1C

Reaction score
WOW!!! Made my first batch of Goat's milk soap last month using some recipe on line....WOW!!!
It is exactly what I was looking for! SOOOOO creamy and silky and WOW!!!

I then substituted the GM for the water in my regular recipe and I am waiting for it to cure. I LOVE GM soap! Who knew???

I found someone on craigslist that sells fresh goat's milk...anyone find any difference in the evaporate/powdered/fresh milk?

Next experiment...HONEY. Seriously...I have been soaping for a year(and I coupon). I will NEVER go back to store soap again...even if it is free...or close to free...LOL.

I love the feel of GM soap too. I would like to try making it with fresh GM to see if there is a difference. I used Walmart canned GM.

WOW!!! Made my first batch of Goat's milk soap last month using some recipe on line....WOW!!!
It is exactly what I was looking for! SOOOOO creamy and silky and WOW!!!

I then substituted the GM for the water in my regular recipe and I am waiting for it to cure. I LOVE GM soap! Who knew???

I found someone on craigslist that sells fresh goat's milk...anyone find any difference in the evaporate/powdered/fresh milk?

Next experiment...HONEY. Seriously...I have been soaping for a year(and I coupon). I will NEVER go back to store soap again...even if it is free...or close to free...LOL.

Hi do you share your goat milk recipe? I am a beekeeper and have honey and beeswax and want to learn how to make soap.

Hi do you share your goat milk recipe? I am a beekeeper and have honey and beeswax and want to learn how to make soap.

Goatsmilk, or milk in general, can be added as the liquid for your lye solution to any recipe.
Beeswax makes a longer lasting bar, but only use it at a very small percentage; 1 to 2%.
Honey adds bubbles because of the sugar content. It's often used at 1 tablespoon per pound of oil.
If you want help with creating a basic recipe, it would be more convenient to open a new topic.

I am also a big fan of GM soap. I have used the powdered and the fresh and much prefer the fresh. I think the fat content is higher and it makes a finer feeling soap. Now what to do with this opened can of GM powder?

Having dairy goats that I milk myself and use the milk in the soap, I find that it's a bit deceiving to use powdered milk in a soap. Sure, it is technically goat milk, but I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to those who use real milk. If you're going to advertise it as goat milk soap, at least use real milk from the store's dairy section.

Just a farmer's .02.

Goatsmilk, or milk in general, can be added as the liquid for your lye solution to any recipe.
Beeswax makes a longer lasting bar, but only use it at a very small percentage; 1 to 2%.
Honey adds bubbles because of the sugar content. It's often used at 1 tablespoon per pound of oil.
If you want help with creating a basic recipe, it would be more convenient to open a new topic.

Thanks I would love to open a new topic.

I made a batch today. It was my first with GM and sugar. I used GM (fresh) for half of the liquid, and I added 1.5 T. sugar to the lye water. I did it HP but kept the temp. low (crockpot on warm) until I had the lye water and GM all mixed in. I tried a little ball that I scraped out of my crockpot and it bubbles very nicely already and has wonderful creamy lather. I can see that the sugar made a difference in the bubbles. I think it will be even nicer in a few weeks. :smile:

Another huge fan of Goat Milk soap as well as lotions.... I am waiting to go over to the island to get some sheep milk. Totally excited to try that.

LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE fresh goat milk in soap...but I've also used
powdered when fresh wasn't available. I agree with Ruthie that the
fresh feels richer. My personal absolute favorite is 100% olive oil
with fresh goat milk. The milk adds a bit of lather to a soap that
would normally not have much, and I think it feels so very creamy.

I am also a big fan of GM soap. I have used the powdered and the fresh and much prefer the fresh. I think the fat content is higher and it makes a finer feeling soap. Now what to do with this opened can of GM powder?

Revisiting this thread to update. I made a GMx2 soap. Used the frozen GM as per usual, except that I cut back 2 oz. and subbed that 2 oz with water mixed with the GM powder, enough powder to make an 8 oz cup of goat's milk. So it is really not a double, but is extra GM. Other than that, I soaped as usual. I leave mine in the fridge for 2 days to prevent gel, then take it out and let it sit at least a day before cutting. It seems to have done well. (I was concerned if even 2 days would prevent gel with the extra GM.) I just tried cutting but it is still soft, so I am leaving it another day. I'll post photos when I can cut, as this will be my 2nd successful hanger swirl. I'll TRY to remember to post when it has cured so I can tell if the extra GM made a difference.

I wouldn't say that is extra milk. It's actually lacking a bit because powder is not the same as fresh.

I've done a rebatch on the same soap 2 times, each time adding more fresh goat milk. I only ever use full amounts of real GM, so when this rebatch was done, it was a 3x milk bar. I never used it, but it sold out the fastest of any bar.

I wouldn't say that is extra milk. It's actually lacking a bit because powder is not the same as fresh.

I've done a rebatch on the same soap 2 times, each time adding more fresh goat milk. I only ever use full amounts of real GM, so when this rebatch was done, it was a 3x milk bar. I never used it, but it sold out the fastest of any bar.

I agree that powder is not the same as fresh. However it is still a factor if not as big a factor as fresh. With 2 oz. of water holding the powder that makes 8 oz. of milk, it is still ahead IMO. You have inspired another experiment. And don't we love to experiment? I'll add the powder to fresh GM and use that to make my next batch. (If you'll refer to my earlier post, I was wondering about what to do with the leftover powder. )

Latest posts

Back