Goat Milk and Honey Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg_lem

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a recipe these two ingredients-- goat milk and honey?

I make my soaps usually using milk from our goats. I've learned quite a bit as I've been doing this-- number one being to keep the temperature LOW (I prefer not more than 90F).

I've been wanting to try a honey recipe, but have heard it could be tricky. So I've just been waiting for the right "moment" to venture into this.

I've just seen a recipe for a honey soap, and it says to allow the lye solution to cool down to 80F before combining with the oils (and finally adding the honey).

So, I'm playing around with this idea. . . . .

Has anyone done a goat milk/honey soap? If so, I'd love to know what you can share with me about it!

Thanks!

- Cathy

I think a lot of us have. I usually do mine in a slab mold, which keeps temps down, and I don't try to prevent gel. Goat milk and honey are nice together. Freeze the goat milk and add the lye to the frozen milk very slowly. Put in about one spoon of lye, stir, stir, stir, and repeat until all the lye is used. You can also put the milk and lye in an ice water bath if it gets too hot. I only use 1 T of honey dissolved in water because I found that when I tried 2 T, my soap overheated, and I had these nasty caverns of seeping oils in my soap. Not cool.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Dana!

That's exactly what procedure I use with our goat milk when I add the lye-- works great to keep it nice and cold! :)

What do you mean, doing yours in a slab mold? I think I'd be interested in trying something new, if it helps keep the temps down!

When, exactly, do you add your 1 T of honey, then? How much water do you dilute it in? I assume you remove that weight from the goat milk into which you've put the lye?

What size of batch is this amount for? I usually have been trying to do 4 lb batches.

Thanks again!

- Cathy

I use the 9-bar-birch mold fom Bramble Berry. They have other sizes. Slab molds are flatter.

I add my honey to my oils. I mix it with about 1 T of water and warm it in the microwave just a little. I do not worry about the water because I use a liquid discount of 33% instead of SoapCalc's default of 38%. One T of water will not hurt it.

My batch is a little over two pounds.

Here is a link to my slab mold on Bramble Berry: http://www.brambleberry.com/9-Bar-Unfinished-Birchwood-Mold-P5169.aspx

Last edited:
I use 1/2 oz honey ppo and I do the same as Dana - heat a little water in the microwave and mix the honey in that, but I add my honey at trace. I need to experiment with adding it to the oil - I think I would like that better. I use a loaf mold with no problems. I don't gel (just my choice) - I put it in the freezer then the fridge instead.

Last edited:
I am about to try a honey soap recipe, I will let you know how it goes. Cold out today so soap will go outside to set up.

I'm going to try this either later today or tomorrow. I think I'll experiment with different ways to add the honey.

Thanks for the tips about the bar molds-- obviously haven't tried those yet. I have a nice 4-lb loaf mold, some pvc pipe, and a few farm-type molds (they fit well with our little farm!). I'll have to look into getting one of these loaf molds as well.

BTW, I LOVE your avalon soaps, Dana! I haven't yet swirled (I'm relatively new to soaping). I loved watching your videos and how you do it. And I love how you molded the tops of those soaps.

Appreciate all your help here! I'll let you know how it goes.

- Cathy

Latest posts

Back