Glycerin Drys Skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
So's I sent my sister in law some soap, and she's a health nut, so she sent me back a sheet that lists all the stuff that is harmfull in your bathroom. Just about everything is poison!

On the list, glycerin is listed. It says-----

"Glycerin draws moisture from inside the skin and holds it on the surface for a better feel. Dries skin from the inside out"

In a way it makes some sense. Especially in dry climates and winter when there is little available humidity in the air. And on the other hand, the body should re-hydrate itself on the inside.

Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

Glycerin is a humectant, it draws moisture from the air to your skin. However, if it is used in a particularly dry atmousphere, with no available moisture in the air, then I have read that it can pull the moisture from your skin.

There is no need to panic tho. Just think twice about using it if you live in an extremely dry place :D

Phillip;
Just add her to the "not to send soap to" list.

:( I live in VERY dry air. And yeah...glycerin tends to have this issue for us out here. :(

Lane said:
:( I live in VERY dry air. And yeah...glycerin tends to have this issue for us out here. :(

It's humid here, but in the winter with the heat on, it's soooo dry & glycerin M&P is horribly drying. That's why I've been adding some oils to mine. Otherwise, I itch, itch & itch!

Mandy

Back