Castile Soap drys out skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peace-love-and-suds

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand why the castile soap I make is so drying to my (and others') skin?

I use 100% extra virgin olive oil (organic) with a 7% superfat. I'm thinking about upping the superfat to 10% to help.

I don't want to add other oils to it. I'm also thinking about using calendula infused olive oil to make it. I just don't want it to be so drying. Perhaps it is winter that is causing this? Because the humidity is down to around 30 percent maybe the skin can't pull the moisture from the air and stripping the sebum off the face causes the dry effect. But I thought the superfat would have helped down play this a bit?

I feel weird recommending this for babies if it drys skin out so much.

How long do you let your castile cure? That makes a big difference, 6 months is the minimum recommended cure time with a year being better. Personally, I can't use castile. Even cured a year its way too drying for me but I haven't tried it with a higher SF and that might help.
CP really isn't recommended for babies, the high PH of soap can be too harsh even if its a mild soap like castile. Not to mention handmade soap is a nightmare on the eyes, worse then any detergent based cleanser.

Is there a soap method that would be recommended for babies? I've been using my Bastille soap recipe of Shea and Olive oil. Superfat red at 10%. I feel kinda bad now, I hope it didn't do any harm. What do you think

I doubt you did any harm, I just prefer to play it safe with babies. By babies I mean under a year old. I would use store bought no tears baby bath and save the home made soap for when they are old enough to speak up if their skin is itchy or irritated.

Thank you:) I sell to toddler age, usually specified to two and older. Been selling it for a few years, so you made me feel much better. Thanks

I'd stick with straight water for washing infants (under a year) personally. With a little friction of the washcloth to loosen any dirt water alone isn't easily rinsing off. This to keep the acid mantle intact.

My soap cures for 4-6 months. I think I am going to try to add my 10% superfat of an infused oil in a rebatch instead of at trace and see where that goes. And, I didn't realize that hot process lowered the pH anymore than cold process after a 30 day cure period. I'll have to get my trusty pH tester out and see what the difference is.

I love you signature field! I need to plant my squash and beans, pronto.

You can't go wrong with infused calendula, but I am still puzzled with your dilemma. 7% SF and 4-6 month cure? your soap should be mild and conditioning. My castile uses goat milk as substitute for the water, 6% SF, cured 3-4 months, and it feel lotion like, very mild.

I find castille way to drying as well, I have just decided I have to have other oils to balance the bar and use only a percentage of OO just for filler. Usually no more than 40-45%.

Perhaps it is winter that is causing this? Because the humidity is down to around 30 percent maybe the skin can't pull the moisture from the air and stripping the sebum off the face causes the dry effect. But I thought the superfat would have helped down play this a bit?

It's about 30% humidity here now, too, and every bar of soap I use leaves me with flaky dry skin. Neither the recipe nor SF matters (I use 8-10% SF). I don't have this problem in the summer.

I think it's just winter.

Pretty dry always where I am, so moisturizer is my friend. The best soap I've found is my oats and honey with a bit of kaolin clay. Doesn't dry my hands at all, it even helps heal them somehow when they get dry.

I had been having trouble with drying skin and switched to a bar of shampoo that I didn't like in my hair. No more dry skin. This recipe leaves my hair greasy feeling, but my body loves it. 30% humidity isn't unusual here, and after spending 30 yrs in the foothills of Colorado, 30% is high. I'm still working on adjusting to there being water suspended in air.

Back