Glitter Epidemic

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBunny

Reaction score
I'm currently sitting in my office avoiding the tragedy that is my kitchen. Hubby went away for the weekend fishing and when hubby is away, Bunny will play. I didn't plan on making as much soap as I did and after each batch I told myself, this is the last batch - but low and behold, "one more batch" kept happening.

I am self-proclaimed princess and a lover of all things that sparkle (maybe I should be a "self proclaimed crow" instead)... anyway, because I love shiny, glittery things I cant help but put glitter on each and every batch of soap I make. I feel like it takes my soap from "aww, cute" to "OMG, THAT'S FREAKING AWESOME!". I even managed to make a seized batch of Black Raspberry Vanilla look like a beautiful galaxy just by adding copious amounts of diamond dust Mica and rainbow eco-glitter.

So, with each finished batch this weekend the air in my kitchen was polluted with vast amounts of Diamond Dust Mica. As I was finishing my last batch, hubby strolls through the door. The last of the cosmic dust had settled around the kitchen and on the floor when again, I assaulted the air with my glittery addiction. You can't have soapy strawberry cupcakes without a little bit of sparkle.

As hubby is unpacking and I am placing my cupcakes on a pan to go into the drying room... I see it.

Glitter.

Glitter everywhere.

Glitter on the floor. Glitter on the fridge. Glitter on the toaster and knives and coffee machine. Glitter in my hair, my mouth, on my eye lashes and clothes. My dog just strolled in to check on me as I'm typing and weeping, he too, is covered in sparkly sediment.

My hubby has been home for less than an hour and without even touching anything has somehow become part of this glitter epidemic as well.

So, with that being said, experienced soapers, how do you control your glitter over-spray/glitter pollution? Any tips on how I'm suppose to clean this mess up?

Hope this story brightened someone's day -- and hope someone can help me out of this mess... literally.

I am related to you in that I am a magpie. But even though I love sparkly, shiny things I don't use glitter for the exact aftermath you have on your hands. I hate cleaning it more than I love sparkle. I used a tiny bit for two batches of holiday soaps, and a sparse sprinkle on some bubble bars, and I still found it tracked everywhere.

Rubbing alcohol helps with mica clean up, maybe it will help with glitter too.

I would get a fine mist bottle of hot soapy water, spray over the glitter mess and wipe up with paper towels. You might have to go back over it with better cleaner but that will get the loose stuff under control.
How are you applying your glitter? I've never gotten it everywhere. A bit falls on the table around the mold and I might get some on my fingers but thats it.

I pass mine to small container and just use a pinch. Never had issues about it going everywhere... I loved your story!

Oh, Little Bunny! When I was little I had a golden book called "Little Cottontail." After his mother taught him many things he successfully avoided a fox and the last picture in the book showed him in his mother's embrace while he asks, "Now am I grown up?" And she replies, "Yes, Big Cottontail!" So I think after you successfully get this awful mess cleaned up you will feel all grown up! Sorry not much help but I couldn't resist.

Oh, I also love the sparkle...I used to wear copious amounts of face/hair/body glitter back in the day....and, yes, no matter the form, it spread everywhere like a terrible cold.
As someone else mentioned, rubbing alcohol helps with mica clean-up. Maybe also use a vacuum around the area?

I've don't usually have an issue with glitter going everywhere. I just use a small shaker bottle and hold it close to the loaf when sprinkling. Once in awhile I'll go a bit rogue and it always ends up on my husband. I just spray my counter with a bit of alcohol after wiping it down and it takes care of any over sprinkle.

I would get a fine mist bottle of hot soapy water, spray over the glitter mess and wipe up with paper towels. You might have to go back over it with better cleaner but that will get the loose stuff under control.
How are you applying your glitter? I've never gotten it everywhere. A bit falls on the table around the mold and I might get some on my fingers but thats it.
Im using the Nurture Soap Glitter Spray Pump, I love it -- works so well... but it makes a MESS!

I use a tea ball. I get glitter everywhere. It's the nature of glitter. Sunday morning I unmolded a glitterfied soap. During church I noticed my husband had glitter on him... I mentioned it and he said "you should see your face". The struggle is real.

When my granddaughter & I get together to make anything with glitter, I use a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol for clean-up. It usually works pretty well, but some of it still persists in places where we least expect it because it spreads like wildfire sometimes. So initial containment is the order of the day before even opening the container.

It works with glitter in the tub, too. BTW, glitter in bathbombs is not really a good idea, genealogically speaking.

I use a tea ball. I get glitter everywhere. It's the nature of glitter. Sunday morning I unmolded a glitterfied soap. During church I noticed my husband had glitter on him... I mentioned it and he said "you should see your face". The struggle is real.
I almost spit out my coffee... LOL

I've always wanted to try one of those little spray bottles, think I'll stick to my big fluffy make up brush. It might take longer to apply the glitter but it's not very messy.

Im using the Nurture Soap Glitter Spray Pump, I love it -- works so well... but it makes a MESS!
I hear so many people say this. I use glitter on every soap I make (well, almost every batch) and use the spray pumps, and I can target them in and it only goes exactly where I want it too. Rarely ever a mess unless I'm just not paying attention.
When I used my shakers, a tea strainer, and/or my little spoon scoops, that's when I got glitter EVERYWHERE and on EVERYTHING. LOL

Back