getting applesauce--why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djk17

Reaction score
the past 3 of 4 times I've cp soaped, I've suddenly gone from a nice just-about-to-pour-into-moulds trace, (whereupon I do what I always do--which is add a tbsp ppo sugar syrup, then my eo in a bit of castor oil--) to mashed potatoes then applesauce.

fortunately I had silicone moulds ready so have just tossed the whole mess into the oven to continue this gel but what I don't understand what has changed for me. I really dislike HP as I am very fond of my creamy white fabulous soap which is my go-to standard. I soap cool in order to avoid gel as well.

btw the 3 applesauce occasions each time was a different recipe, but all high in olive oil (sale on my regular brand at the local store). I soap as a hobby, but at least one batch a week and I always buy the same brands of oils.

I soap on the cool side, barely warm to the touch, both lye and oils, and I don't understand what has happened.

Could it be my lavender essential oil? I opened a new bottle for AS batches (Apple Sauce) #2 and #3

oh I do find this really odd. If anyone has experienced this and can throw some ideas my way I'd be grateful!

tia
Debra

I would blame your fragrance oil. I've not heard of lavender EO doing it, but I HAVE heard over the past year of several people getting adulterated lavender EO so I'd say you may be among those.

thanks, Carebear. That is what I think it could be. I bought it in Provence this summer and actually bought 2 bottles, first was lavendin and it was super in soap, this is Lavender Fine essential oil and I'm getting involuntary hp. Sigh.

I think this is going in the rack labelled "ugly and fabulous", which is what we use at home around here. Too hideous to give away.

Back