Get off my a$$ about lard!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather is a large multifactorial problem and scientists have very little understanding of how the factors relate ... numerical solutions are interesting but without some way to verify their accuracy they're completely questionable.

Not so much anymore. they'd accurate modeled and *predicted* storms exactly like Hurricane Sandy seven ears earlier using models for the changes they were seeing for that window in time. Is it easy? Nope. But we have satellites now that track the temperature of every square meter of the surface of the planet. And they aren't speaking of modeling the weather at your house for the next three years, but the large scale of global warming, the greenhouse gasses, etc. they have nailed down. Humans have never seen a 99%= accordance: it's as much fact as witnessing a car run into a tree, and more reliable than your memory of seeing it.

If you're referring to "global cooling" perhaps you should obtain the body of information developed by Carl Sagan, who was a huge proponent/mouthpiece of the "global cooling" doomsday community. I have some serious doubts he was sponsored by big oil.

Actually, I was referring to the major source of the textbook changes which was funded by Big Oil. The account of that was actually covered in a documentary on the subject recently, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. Regardless, they were working with computers the size of buildings that were hand cabled and punch carded. The difference in data and tech is like a medieval village lighting their way with a burning ember and using a LED flashlight. I don't think people really understand how much has changes even since 1980 - the growth has been exponential in ways that most people don't grasp well.

I subscribe to the idea that we should use our resources wisely (which collectively we are not)

Me, too!

But yes, you can choose to believe in what you want. It is a free country.

Yes, you can believe in what you like, but that really only matters in religious or unknown subject areas. The science is the science whether people 'believe' in it or not - something that Neil DeGrasse Tyson (an intellectual scion of the brilliant Sagan) famously pointed out earlier this year and something Sagan talked about all the time. I even saw him express that I've before he died (seriously, Sagan was the BEST lecturer that I've ever seen).

Anyway, I think we're off-topic, and I was mostly just curious since Susie is a nurse, and I was interested in her training since I train them. As always, people can think as they choose.

It's actually rare for scientists to be on media at all, so mostly it's the press getting is wrong. When scientists get is wrong, that's published in the same journals - you know, in print. There really isn't much science each year that they that's wrong due to peer-review (and that's assessed yearly and published, too - so it's all quite transparent). Mostly, the 'science' you're mentioning is propaganda designed to look like science, but it's really just PR for a corporation or special interest (much like FOX News). Despite how people get misdirected for personal interest, the same scientific method has pretty much created everything in the modern world, from your clothes on down. We know vastly more about evolution and human-produced climate change than we know about gravity these days, and no one really has any doubt about that.

You know, I have been being really polite and responding to you as I would want to be talked to. We hold very different opinions on lots of things, but no need to be rude. However, I truly think this has indeed veered too far from lard and soap. We can agree to politely disagree and drop this, right? If not, you can send me a PM.

Last edited:
I truly think this has indeed veered too far from lard and soap. We can agree to politely disagree and drop this, right?

I think that is an excellent idea. :thumbup:

Please, let's keep moving forward everyone.

Back to the original thread topic, ye lard lubbers!

Thank you.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
You know, I have been being really polite and responding to you as I would want to be talked to. We hold very different opinions on lots of things, but no need to be rude. However, I truly think this has indeed veered too far from lard and soap. We can agree to politely disagree and drop this, right? If not, you can send me a PM.

I haven't ever been rude to anyone on this board from my end, and I'm always polite. I actually was just curious as to whether you actually said what you mean (because many people don't when they say things in passing). I certainly did not intend to be rude or make you feel uncomfortable in my attempts to be clear and express some things that most people quite literally do not know these days because the world is changing very quickly. And yes, I agree about the far afield issue - I said the same thing in response to Daryl in the post below yours.

Truly, I like you and enjoy your posts!

Depending on the soap brand you buy in the store several of them have tallow in them. It was either Dial or Yardley last I checked that listed that as ingredient. Find a store bought soap that says it uses tallow and give your and that as gifts LOL.

Well didn't this thread get lively. :D

Here's my take. Science is a wonderful thing and a horrible thing.It's brought us medical breakthoughs and the atom bomb. In my opinion, one cannot say that it is always wrong or always right. My doubts as to the reliability of scientists however, is justifiable. It was scientists who advised us not to eat butter, only margarine. Now, margarine is bad and butter is back in. Google healthy eggs and it seems now it's just not that bad to eat some eggs. ( Not like I was avoiding them anyway haha) Low fat was going to be the cure all, yet now, it's "healthy fats", cause our body's need fat. I tend to stay in food fashion more often than not by just not changing the way I eat every time science changes it's mind. Sooner or later it's back in style. I like Jack Lalanne's idea, "if man made it don't eat it". Getting harder to do these days.

To bring this back to the "soaping" agenda, I'm sure an argument could be made for all lard or no lard. Responsible lard or irresponsible lard. (is there such a thing?) Truthfully though, isn't this just another soaping personal preference? I used to use lard, my grandma used lard. It makes a wonderful soap. I don't use lard in my soaps anymore, because i found a different recipe I liked better. No ulterior motives, just because. Arguing against it, under the pretense of global warming, seems to be a giant leap off topic and really only serves to voice one's opinion on other matters. Mine included. :D

At times I think we've become so politically correct, we've forgotten common sense.

Last edited:
I made one lard soap and we fight with each other to use it;)) I have 16 bars of tallow but had not try it yet, should be good is already 8 weeks. I love lard soap. :))
Some frying requires a high smoke point, lard probably have the highest one :)

That's a good idea. lol

I had the misfortune of spewing a bit of hot chai on my keyboard a couple of years ago, although I must say that I think I was more mad at having lost out on some of my chai than having had spilled it on my keyboard.

Happily, my keyboard survived and I'm still typing away on it, but still, to this day, my backspace button will stick when we get the rare humid day around here.

Oh my..I would be freaked out if I actually spilled something in mine..with the way my luck runs, it would be a goner lol

JustBeachy said:
Sorry, didn't see your post before i posted my last. I'm thinking lard now, I promise.
icon_cool.gif

You are forgiven. :grin:

Now that everyone has gotten everything off their chests, here is the formula for my very first ever lard soap. I refer to it as my VCC #1 formula (VCC stands for 'veggie con carne' :razz: ). It went through a couple of tweaks before I settled on my VCC #3 formula, which contains both lard and tallow, but this is the one that got me hooked on using lard in my soap. It makes a great bar, and I hope you all enjoy as much I do:

Olive Oil 34%
Palm Kernel Oil 31.5%
Lard 26.5%
Castor Oil 8%

Wow, where'd that other page come from? ..This thread moved too fast on me..

Ok, Lard.

My next soapy adventure will be first time using lard and CO...maybe toss some CM in there as well..hehehe.. Im now addicted to CM..sorry..*ahem*

Right now I have to run back outside and finish burning my leaves....{I also have a 'fire bug' instinct...where there is a pile of burning leaves, Imma be playing in it :lol:}

Making a valiant effort to redirect the conversation back to lard in soap....

"...30-40 years ago my grandmother made 100% lard soap and, as I remember, there was enough bubbles... ..."

I grew up helping (well maybe that's stretching the point a bit) my grandmother Goldie render lard and make soap with it. She used it for the laundry only -- she used store-bought soap for the bath and kitchen. What I'd say about my bar soaps that are mostly lard is that they lather better as time goes on. At first, the bubbles can be a bit thinner and lighter than I'd like, but after a few months the lather becomes denser and more abundant. Very nice.

I have never used lard or tallow before because it's harder to get it back in Singapore but now that I'm in the UK, it's much more readily available so I think I'm going to try it in my next batch !

I would like to ask what's the difference between using tallow in soap and using lard in soap. Do you guys find a tallow/lard combination much nicer, and in what way ?

Summerflyy- do your own test. Make one batch with lard, and one with tallow. Six weeks later, test them both. The difference is there. The numbers on soapcalc just don't tell the whole story.

Okay ! I'll do it when I order my supplies next month !

My lard soap recipe:
45% lard (sometimes I do half lard and half tallow)
20% coconut
25% olive
5% castor
5% sunflower

Lard is a perfect soap making oil. No other oil contributes hardness, bubbles and conditioning to soap. ESPECIALLY that that price point!

Thanks. That was almost the exact recipe I was thinking of running through soapcalc.

I don't eat pigs or cows so I don't soap with their fats. But that's just my personal preference. I don't judge others by what they eat or the ingredients of their soap.

I spend three days and several hours rendering my own tallow until it's completely white and hard as a rock with nothing but clear water separating by the final render. It is completely scent free as well. It's a luxury in my opinion in that I spend so much time and effort doing this and have a wonderful final product. I'm proud of it and wouldn't hesitate to tell someone as such seeing as I put so much work into it. That, and my best soaps have a ton of tallow in it. Don't like it? Move along then :) lard I'm sure is also awesome. Just had to give my 2 cents on the animal fat thing.

I also render my own lard for cooking and soaps!! but I notice people don't like the lard idea in their soap... my extended family wanted to know which of my soaps had lard in them and which didn't :(

Back