Gel air freshener -- is it worthwhile to make?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black walnut dust, is it the same as ground walnut shells?...

Nope, the black walnut dust I get exposed to is from sanding the wood. I sometimes make furniture and do other woodworking projects, and I get exposed to the dust when I sand a project or turn things on the lathe. It's always good to wear a respirator when there's any kind of wood dust in the air, but I HAVE to wear one religiously and open the windows for lots of fresh air whenever I work with black walnut.

We also use ground walnut shells to polish the antique sleigh bells I restore for people. The shells are from English walnuts, not black walnuts. The ground up shells that I have are particles about the size of fine kitty litter. They are a wee bit dusty, but I'm not sensitive to it like I am to black walnut. They're not really the same thing at all.

"...Wow, that's a strong FO!!!! Apples and pine would actually smell really good LOL..."

It is really super strong. I bought it knowing I couldn't use it in soap (I forget why -- it's been awhile), but I thought it might be nice for an air freshener or similar thing. I agree -- a pine or fir EO would blend nicely with this FO.

I know what the pine pellets are, have been using them for years. Also, for anyone else, Some Pellets have Hemlock in it. I only got the Pine so getting wood burning pellets is a crap shoot as to what wood it is used from.

When I use it for the kitty I get it wet first and fluff it, not leave it whole .... my kitty doesn't like to go in it that way.

I read on a Farm supply website around here that the corn cob also got like the Pellets when wet, that is why I asked. Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if someone got it mixed it.

I was told awhile back that the pellets for pellet stoves should absolutely never be used for animal bedding, because stove pellets are made from waste wood from any kind of tree. Horses have gotten sick and died from being bedded with pellets that contain black walnut, for example. I don't know if someone was trying to save money by buying stove pellets for bedding horse stalls or what, but it sounds like what these horses suffered was horrific. Ugh!

Latest posts

Back