Gamma RBO purchase question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynetteO

Reaction score
Arriving today is a 64 oz of “Gamma One” RBO. RBO is sold at my local soap supply shop but only in 8oz bottles & a bit more $$. Don’t so much care about the extra $$ to support a locally owned business but they will not re-fill my empty RBO bottles. I dislike all the plastic, so yesterday I purchased a big jug off Amazon, arriving today.
Am I 😜 & going to regret this purchase?
My question 🙋‍♀️
Has anyone had any experience or issue with Gamma RBO? I’m adding ROE upon arrival.
1368236F-6DE6-4639-8C07-750FD0B676CC.jpeg

I don't know, but Walmart sells the same thing for $5.00 more, so unless it's past it's use-by date, I'd say you got a bargain. The fat content looks the same as regular RBO, and the ingredients list is "refined rice bran oil.'

"A component of rice bran oil is the γ-oryzanol, at around 2% of crude oil" (per a quick Google search) so I don't think it's really all that special or different from other RBO other than the way it is marketed.

I don't know, but Walmart sells the same thing for $5.00 more, so unless it's past it's use-by date, I'd say you got a bargain. The fat content looks the same as regular RBO, and the ingredients list is "refined rice bran oil.'

"A component of rice bran oil is the γ-oryzanol, at around 2% of crude oil" (per a quick Google search) so I don't think it's really all that special or different from other RBO other than the way it is marketed.
Bummer my Walmart doesn't carry RBO' Id pick some up. I'm always shopping for them savings.

:hairpulling:Ive looked pretty much every time I’m in either my local Walmart & SuperWalmart & it’s never in stock, so I’d have to order online & I rather not pay shipping fees if I can help it. The Amazon price to me seemed to good to be true so I am indeed worried that this has an older production date. I looked hard for one in the details before purchasing & then just threw caution to the wind. We shall see.

I guess that's 67.6 fl. oz., i. e. a 2 litre bottle.

Don't understand the prices of many medium-exotic oils from soapmaking supply shops. At my local Asian grocery store, I have the choice between two brands of RBO (don't love that plastic either, but don’t so much care about support for the Big River company), and I'm paying €2.50 for 500 mL bottles (≈ US$11.60 for 2 litres). Though, the best currency to buy RBO with, is NZ$ (at least according to @KiwiMoose).

@ResolvableOwl Yes 64 fl oz.

My RBO purchase arrived, faster than any delivery 🚚 ever. Anywhoo the oil expires 5/2022 so that’s not so great news but I had a feeling this would be the case. I’ve added ROE & now to make 🧼 🧼 & more soap 🧼✨. Waiting on my 1lb mini loaf mold to arrive because I’ve LEARNED my lesson & will go SMALL when testing new recipe, scents & other additives!!! 😂 Funny not funny😬!

I guess that's 67.6 fl. oz., i. e. a 2 litre bottle.

Don't understand the prices of many medium-exotic oils from soapmaking supply shops. At my local Asian grocery store, I have the choice between two brands of RBO (don't love that plastic either, but don’t so much care about support for the Big River company), and I'm paying €2.50 for 500 mL bottles (≈ US$11.60 for 2 litres). Though, the best currency to buy RBO with, is NZ$ (at least according to @KiwiMoose).
Yes it's our cheapest oil - apart from these really cheap and nasty oils that you wouldn't use anyway. The regular price is $NZ4.99 per litre at the supermarket, but it's often cheaper when it's on special. 1 litre is approx 2 pounds/34 ounces and costs $NZ4.99 = $US3.46, EUR2.98, GBP2.55
That 67 ounce bottle you bought there would cost us just under $US7.

@ResolvableOwl Yes 64 fl oz.

My RBO purchase arrived, faster than any delivery 🚚 ever. Anywhoo the oil expires 5/2022 so that’s not so great news but I had a feeling this would be the case. I’ve added ROE & now to make 🧼 🧼 & more soap 🧼✨. Waiting on my 1lb mini loaf mold to arrive because I’ve LEARNED my lesson & will go SMALL when testing new recipe, scents & other additives!!! 😂 Funny not funny😬!
That bottle would only last me about 2 months anyway. I use RBO at 20% of my recipe.

I bought some RBO on Amazon a while back, not sure if it was the same brand or not. I added ROE the first time I used it. I think there was a used by date of one year. It took me about 1 1/2 years to use the whole gallon and I had no problem with DOS. The color was a little darker than I would have liked(a shade off white) but for me that is not an issue since most of the FO's that I like have vanilla in them. I put RBO in all of my soaps now and love it. I might have to look at the Asian markets in our area to see if I can get it locally....I've never seen it at Walmart or any other of the grocers that I use.

Latest posts

Back