Fragrance sea salt dollar store

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bex,

I made a batch of salt bars last weekend and used the Brambleberry Ocean Rain. It did not accelerate at all. I slowly added the fragrance at a light trace, mixed, then poured a little more in, stirred, then slowly added the sea salt. Worked great. I cut at the 2 hr mark. I used the Morton's Mediterranean Fine Sea Salt.

Bex,

I made a batch of salt bars last weekend and used the Brambleberry Ocean Rain. It did not accelerate at all. I slowly added the fragrance at a light trace, mixed, then poured a little more in, stirred, then slowly added the sea salt. Worked great. I cut at the 2 hr mark. I used the Morton's Mediterranean Fine Sea Salt.

Cool! Did it smell like scrubbing bubbles spray foam? Would you have had enough time to do 2 colors? Thanks :)

Seriously? I just use regular fine grain salt and it works fine. I'm sure the pink is pretty but you can get good results with other kinds of salt.

It doesn't matter what kind of salt you use as long as its not dead sea or epsom. I use canning and pickling salt in my bars, its works great and is cheap. I've even used dollar store bath salt after running it through a coffee grinder.

Of course BB is going to recommend pink salt, its what they sell. I've not used pink salt but I have splurged for expensive black hawaiian salt and besides the visual, it wasn't any better then plain salt.

It doesn't matter what kind of salt you use as long as its not dead sea or epsom. I use canning and pickling salt in my bars, its works great and is cheap. I've even used dollar store bath salt after running it through a coffee grinder.

Of course BB is going to recommend pink salt, its what they sell. I've not used pink salt but I have splurged for expensive black hawaiian salt and besides the visual, it wasn't any better then plain salt.

I agree with Obsidian. I've used many brands, types, locations of harvest, etc and all worked the same. I've also used BB's pink salt and liked it. I like the various colors as it adds interest but in the bar, it came out the same in the end.

Thanks guys! I'm still planning to just use regular fine grain salt. I want it to look like my old bar and the pink might mess with the blue coloring. Also even fine it's a bit gritty. Someone commented on their sight that the fine grain pink salt was scratchy.
Not to mention it costs more.
I used some grey sea salt in a mens soap but you couldn't even tell it was gray in the soap, so pretty much a waste of money there. Like guys care much anyway LOL.

I will mention that grinding salt in food processors or coffee grinders can leave very sharp edges. I cannot say how a burr grinder would do because my burr grinder is way to expensive to use for grinding salt... While I may not be an authority on salt bars I have made and usedthem for 5 yrs trying almost anthing that can be tried. If you play with dead sea salt and percentages it can be used, epsom no. San Francisco Salt Company has great deals on salts and they are pure opposed to what may come from a $.99 store.

Well, I made it. I shouldn’t complain because the process went really well. I decided to mix a few of the FOs together and it smells really nice.
I'm not happy with the colors, I used way too much blue and the green is more of a Christmas green than a sea green :(
Also, it just looks like regular soap, it’s all smooth. I kind of liked the cool look of the mix with chunkier salt, it looked like there was actually salt in the bar and gave it a really cool texture. But I realize that can be scratchy (although I used mine with a shower poof thing so I never noticed scratching).
Anyway, I conformed to the rules lol and I'm still happy with it. If anything I just have to tweak the colors a bit.

I want to make a salt bar. I went to bramble berry and picked up their ocean rain fragrance (out of all of them this was the only one i liked for a salt bar), then when I got home I looked on the back and saw that it said it accelerates :(
I'm using all coconut with 15-20 sf, haven't decided yet. Co already traces fast and I'd like to make 2 colors so I'm kind of worried.
I was thinking about adding the fo to my salt and then mixing the salt in right before the pour. I'm wondering if the fo will ooze out or just be incorporated during saponification? Or will the salt stay oily or something?
The other thing is that I saw sea salt at the dollar store and I was wondering if any of you have used it and if it's real sea salt. It's called San Francisco bay sea salt.

When I made my salt bars, I used the same sea salt at 50% the weight of oils in my recipe, added just before the pour and they turned out great. Can't beat $1 for that salt!

Since I sell, I do not use anything from a dollar store, but that is just me. I prefer to purchase my salts from San Francisco Bath Salt Company and know what I am getting. Bex, did you use grocery store fine sea salt? I use 120% salt in my bars using Pacific Sea Salt from SFBSC and it is still gritty and salty looking, bars made with fine table salt will tend to be smoother. Adding in a small portion of coarse ground Kosher table salt (in the blue box) will add in a little more grit. It is not a rock salt but a flaked salt that is a bit heavier.

I made a batch with 100% kosher salt a while back but haven't used it for more then a occasional hand wash. I just went and washed for about 5 minutes to see what it was like. Its still smooth feeling, not scratchy at all but it does have a chunkier look then the fine salt I normally use.
It really pretty, especially with the blue color I used. I might have to use kosher salt more often.

I dd like that the fine salt didn’t cause as much crumbling when I cut. The other one ad really crumbly bottoms. And drag lines.

Yeah, I used medium salt once and my bars were really ugly. Crumbly edges and a lot of drag marks, not to mention badly scratched skin.
I don't know what kosher salt is like to cut, I used cavity molds.

I will mention that grinding salt in food processors or coffee grinders can leave very sharp edges. I cannot say how a burr grinder would do because my burr grinder is way to expensive to use for grinding salt... While I may not be an authority on salt bars I have made and usedthem for 5 yrs trying almost anthing that can be tried. If you play with dead sea salt and percentages it can be used, epsom no. San Francisco Salt Company has great deals on salts and they are pure opposed to what may come from a $.99 store.

This site is great. I will be getting my salt from here. :lol:

Latest posts

Back