Fragrance oil help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
So today went a little slower than I had planned. I built some homemade wooden molds. It took more time than I had thought it would.
Then the real time killer was figuring out how to line the molds with freezer paper. I watched a million videos about it and think I finally found a way that works for me!!

So I only got around to making 1 batch.

So tomorrow I'm going for another 100oz batch which fills 3 of my molds. It's not worth doing anything smaller since my stick blender barely goes below the surface when mixing in the pot I have.

Not sure which recipe that I'm going to use, but I'm going with wither Paul's WalMart recipe (popular on this website) or I'm doing a basic 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 coconut, olive, palm.

I went to my local Michael's yesterday and grabbed a bottle of Cucumber Melon Fragrance Oil for soap. It's 1/2 ounce (14.7 ml). I'd like to add this fragrance to one of these soaps. The directions say 5 drops for every ounce of soap base. I have 100 ounces.

Do I really need to count out 500 drops?? Any other way of calculating this? A drop is .00XXX ounces?

Thanks!!!!

Most, if not all, of the fragrance oils available at Michaels are meant for melt and pour soap and will probably not be suitable for CP soap or give you the result you are after. I order my FOs from soapmaking suppliers, and go with the recommended usage rate. Bramble Berry has a fragrance calculator, so you can get an idea of how much FO you will need. Generally, I use 1 ounce per pound of oils. I like my soaps strongly scented. The default on soap calc is .5 ounce PPO.

If you want to pick up something locally you can check at Whole Foods or the Vitamin Shoppe if you have one near you. Some coops also have essential oils. I don't use too many EOs anymore, and you need to check the usage rate for those as well. And it will be more expensive since the bottles of EO are very small.

You need to work in either imperial or metric, grams are a better way to go. So 100 ounces is 2834.95grams of soap going by a calculator and you have 14.7ml of FO, that's not nearly enough to fragrance for one mould let alone 3, unless you like a very very mild scent. You really need to weigh out your FO and not use drops, there is really no way of working out how much a drop is worth in weight.

I have no idea about Michaels FO's as I'm in Australia, others here will chime in I'm sure, but have heard others say to get their FO's from a soaping supplier.

Back