Found a Moonworks FO's seller

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never smelled the real Lush version of Olive Branch, Candy Fluff or Sultana so can't help you there. But I do love Honey I Washed the Kids so would appreciate feedback after you soap with it. I almost put it in my basket but decided not to at the last minute because I've also been wanting to try a dupe of L'Occitane's Honey (http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Honey-*LOccitane-Type*-Fragrance-pr-780.html).

I'm working on the Skinny Dip batch right now. OOB the fragrance smells pretty true to the original and it's one of my all time Lush faves so very excited about this batch! I'm hoping for a textured top with some whole cloves peeking out . . . I'll post a pic in the Photo Gallery if it turns out.

I would love to hear what you think of the Skinny Dip when you are finished. Later this week I plan to soap the sex bomb and will post my results.
Megan, can't tell you which one to soap first, but I am very curious about the MW Fairy Garden, and Leaves, I'm also curious about the olive branch, and Honey I washed the Kids. I haven't smelled any of the Lush or Moonworks before this. I had always wanted to purchase from Moonworks, but kept putting it off because of the prices.

I just finished soaping leaves. It was very well behaved. I thought it was going to give me problems because it smells very spicy. To my nose it smells just like hot spiced cider. It is very nice and strong. I used .8oz ppo. I probably could have gotten away with .5 but I really want it to stick around for a while.

20140909_230614.jpg

Oh that is so pretty, and perfect colors for leaves! I just finished soaping Sex Bomb, no problems, didn't move fast, and I love the way it smells, it was stronger than I thought it would be, I just peaked and really got a good smell, I wish that I could describe the scent. It is very unique, but so yummy.

Thanks I showed my husband and he said it looked like leaves. I didn't tell him what it was.

I do wonder how accurate the info is on the fragrance buddy site. There are alot of fo that say you can safely use 30%+ that is alot. Some vanillin % don't look right either.

I have noticed the same thing, I am fairly sure that the MW Patchouli Passion will have vanilla in it but it says 0%. I did notice that the usage amounts for the moonworks dupes on The Flaming Candle site were about the same. There are quite a few moonworks fragrances where the % for soap is so low that I can't imagine there would be much scent. I forgot to mention my usage amount for the Lush Sex Bomb in the above post it was 1% per pound.

Meganmischke - your Leaves batch is beautiful! I hope it doesn't discolor on you. My Salted Caramel batch from a few days ago is already darkening significantly. It supposedly contained 0% vanilla so I was worried it wouldn't look like caramel at all . . . now it almost looks like chocolate. The Skinny Dip FO was also very spicy & clovey so I thought it might accelerate but it behaved nicely. So far that batch has not discolored at all.

Last edited:
I'm happy to have found this thread, I loved some of
MW's fo's especially Native Princess and Merlin's Forest.
I see that the flaming candle company has Merlin's Forest
but they are in Florida and I'm in Northern Canada and
am on the fence about ordering. Has anyone tried any of the
MW's fo's from these folks, Merlin's Forest is greatly missed up
here.:grin:

I'm happy to have found this thread, I loved some of
MW's fo's especially Native Princess and Merlin's Forest.
I see that the flaming candle company has Merlin's Forest
but they are in Florida and I'm in Northern Canada and
am on the fence about ordering. Has anyone tried any of the
MW's fo's from these folks, Merlin's Forest is greatly missed up
here.:grin:

I remember making candles with this and it was amazing I am so going to place an order as I love Vanilla Noel from Moonworks as well (In candles). Oh boy I hear my credit card moaning as I type this :)

I thought I'd take a look at their site after reading this post. If the Lush dupes aren't selling well, or the MW dupes for that matter, it may be because of the fragrance descriptions. "Just like the original." doesn't help if you don't know what the original smells like. A great fragrance oil description really helps to sell a fragrance, and theirs are sadly lacking. When you can't physically smell a FO, you need a really good description to entice you to spend your money, at least I do.

Yes his descriptions are lacking, and I wasn't sure about ordering. Also his rating system is not the best, it lets individuals make ratings without any proof of ordering, however the reviews are verified.
The company that sent out the email stating that they were having trouble selling Moonworks was Pure Fragrance Oils. I like their website and descriptions are nice, but they are trying to take pre-sale orders and that is always difficult.
I have been pleased with the order that I placed with fragrancebuddy.com, and the Moonworks fragrances that I ordered are all strong and have held very well through cure. There are quite a few that you cannot use at a decent rate for soap, but that was also true with the original Moonworks.
I also tried a couple of the Lush dupes and they were great too, I don't know about any of the other fragrances, and hope to hear more reviews. I have heard that some of the non dupes aren't the best for soap.

@OliveOil2 -

Have you tried the Karma? I loved the scent but the FO I bought from NG faded. I'd love to be able to find one that sticks.

Also, just a reminder for everyone - Fragrance Oils Chart is here if anyone cares to share their opinion of a fragrance. :grin:

When you can't physically smell a FO, you need a really good description to entice you to spend your money, at least I do.

Sometimes the description is better the fragrance actually smells. :mad:

I have only made one purchase from FB and kept going back and forth about the Karma, and ended up not getting it. I have a feeling that it might be popular in my area and was hoping for more feedback. The three that I tried all stuck, they were Sex Bomb, Rose Jam, and Sultana. Hazel that is really true, most descriptions are much better than the actual fragrance!

Yes, I've frequently been disappointed when a FO didn't smell as good as I thought it would based on the description. I was surprised at how much I liked the NG's dupe of Karma and I would have kept ordering it if it had stuck. I noticed the one review on FB's site said it was light in soap. I wonder if this person posted soon after using it and later it faded but didn't think to update. I may have to bite the bullet and order some to test if no one else knows about it.

This surprised me. According to FB's category rating, it shows this FO can be used up to 30% in soap. Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, I've frequently been disappointed when a FO didn't smell as good as I thought it would based on the description. I was surprised at how much I liked the NG's dupe of Karma and I would have kept ordering it if it had stuck. I noticed the one review on FB's site said it was light in soap. I wonder if this person posted soon after using it and later it faded but didn't think to update. I may have to bite the bullet and order some to test if no one else knows about it.

This surprised me. According to FB's category rating, it shows this FO can be used up to 30% in soap. Am I reading that correctly?

Hazel Daystar has an awesome dupe of this and it sticks :) love to enable.......30% Wow maybe a typo?

Hazel I have the Karma in my basket, just hoping they will have a Holiday sale of some kind. So If I get it I will soap the Karma first and let you know what it is like. On the usage rates I am noticing high amounts from many vendors, don't know why though.

Oops! Sorry Lyn - I just saw your message about Daystar. I looked and didn't see a Karma. Am I missing it or is it called something else? You are an enabler. Like I need another fragrance supplier to become addicted to and blow my budget.

I don't know if it is a typo because if you check other FOs, some show high percentages for soap and others don't - more of 1% to 6% range. A little confusing.

OliveOil - Thank you! That's so sweet of you to pick Karma and let me know. :grin:

Ooops my fault forget they are called by ohther names...............Kazi Kazi is it's name and it doesn't come cheap but I have soaped it and from memory it was beautiful, this was some years back!.

Latest posts

Back