Formulating summer bar. Suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Hi all,
For all the experiences soapers here ia my question whr im stuck...
Now that summer is here. My skin is drying more. The bars i made 6 months back were good for winter. But now i find it drying and leaves me with flaky itchy skin.

Please give me some pointers on what to look for when formulating a summee bar.. Not addatives but more on oils part.
Ive recently moved from pomace to rice bran.
My usual go to recipe will be with some slight variations
Palm 30-40%
Coconut 10%
Pomace 30-40%
Castor 5.%

Now ive replaced pomace with 30% rbo n made few batches.. Havent tested them yet.
Before i make few new batches wud like to have ur inputs..
TIA

Strangely, I'm the reverse; in winter, my skin is dry here in Pennsylvania, USA. In summer, I'm fine and actually need a more cleansing soap because I sweat more. :)

Everybody's skin and everybody's climate differs. In your case, you might reduce the palm a bit, and raise the pomace to decrease the cleansing. Or completely remove the coconut and replace with a nourishing oil like avocado (if you can get it) or just more pomace (if you can't get specialty oils or just don't feel like using them).

Some suggest raising your super fat to at least 5% or up to 8%. I never found it worked all that well, personally, and it does seem to make the soap slightly more likely to degrade.

Same here, in the winter my skin is much drier. You might want to add some skin friendly EOs to your recipe. Be careful of some as they are photosensitive to the skin.

Here the temp is around 40 •C so u can take a guess.... Its nit humid. Its very dry tats the reason lot of ppl suffer with extereme dryness

Here the temp is around 40 •C so u can take a guess.... Its nit humid. Its very dry tats the reason lot of ppl suffer with extereme dryness
And tats the reason i left pomace n went to rice bran oil..

Last edited by a moderator:
Your recipe isn't going to be a drying soap for most people. You can always completely eliminate the coconut and see if that helps. Shea butter has a high level of unsaponifiables that can leave more residue on your skin. But soap doesn't really moisturize. You need a good moisturizer made with glycerin and nice oils.

True. Others find my bar fine. I dont. Will try a non coconut oil soap n see how that works out for me

Thanks everone for ur suggestions. I will.tryout sone samples n test them

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back