Forgot to add my puree!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MihiriBubbles

Reaction score
I've never made a cold process soap with puree before.
I was so focused on my design that I ended up adding all the ingredients except for the puree!
I'm wondering how it might effect the soap?
Recipe:
16 oz. coconut oil
16 oz. palm oil
16 oz. olive oil
2 oz. castor oil
15 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye
3 oz. pumpkin puree
3 oz. fragrance oil
0.5 oz vanilla color stabilizer

Thank you! I'm surprised the recipe was written like this...it came from a certain popular soap making company lol
Would I replace the water with puree at a 1:1 ratio?

It could be that this soaper likes working with a high water amount for some reason. I don't like doing that because the soap takes a long time to set up, and it can warp as it cures. Yes, use the amount of puree (3oz in this recipe) to replace the same amount of water (3oz). For this recipe, then, your water would be reduced to 12oz.

That works in most recipes as long as that leaves you with at least the same weight of water as the weight of the lye. Using less than an equal amount of water as the amount lye means the lye won't dissolve completely because the puree isn't 100% water.

I would add it to the oils before the lye solution and use the stickblender to incorporate it into the oils well. That is, if you are adding it to the whole batch. You could also add it at emulsion.

Latest posts

Back