Forgot oil, figuring out new superfat %?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajp529

Reaction score
Hi all,

So last night I made a batch of chocolate soap with cocoa and cocoa nibs. My recipe was: 22.4 oz olive oil, 11.2 oz coconut oil, 11.2 oz palm oil, 5.6 oz cocoa butter, 5.6 oz castor oil, 7.5 oz lye, and 21.2 oz water-8% superfat. Problem is I just realized laying in bed this morning that I forgot the castor oil!!! I unmolded and cut just a minute ago and it all looks great, I am just wondering what my new superfat would be since I forgot the castor oil? I am thinking that it will be ok since I had set the superfat to 8%, and that now it will just be a little lower?

Thanks!

Alex

You're actually right at 0 or -1 for superfat which means you have no superfat in your soap and might even be a tinge lye heavy. I would shred and add the shreds into a new batch of soap.

Hey,

How do I figure the new % out, for future reference? When you say add to a new batch do you mean like as an additive/imbed? Or could I rebatch with the 5.6 oz castor oil as my additional liquid and end up ok?

Thanks,

Alex

you can rebatch it in the crock pot and just add your castor oil there. Cook it on low for about an hour or two, then pour into your mold. You should be fine. :)

You'll just have a HP soap instead of a CP one.

Back