Forgot about a main oil and added it at trace :/

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Reaction score
Ok, yes, bit of a hectic evening but I had my heart set on making soap so I went ahead anyway. I was happily mixing ingredients up thinking 'wow this didn't go to trace so quickly last time' and then poured it in the shiny new wood mold my BF made me today.

THEN as I was giving it a bit of a bump on the table to shake out any bubbles I noticed the UNOPENED bottle of olive oil next to it... of which 9.75oz was supposed to have been in a 39oz batch...

So I quickly dumped the soap back in a bowl, put in the olive oil and stirred with a spatula until a decent consistency and then used the stick blender until everything was fully mixed and then poured it back in the soap mold...

Will my soap be okay or have I likely killed it?

Hurray! Thank you SO much for answering so quickly and with the answer I was hoping for!! I was especially frustrated at myself as I'd used the last of my shea butter in this batch!

YAY! Happy dance!

Whew! glad you were able to save it! You should be ok

Thanks Paillo and Kazmi!

I had a sneaky peek at it this morning and it's looking good! I'll let you know how it goes when I try to slice it up this afternoon!

I wish I had read a thread like this last week! The exact same thing happened to me with the last batch I made, only I was too chicken to glop the soap back into the pot and add the olive oil I had forgotten. In a panic I searched for info online about rebatching, not considering that I still had a chance to fix the problem. Glad that yours turned out ok! (I let mine set up and then rebatched it the next day...an avoidable extra step, as it seems. Oh well, my soap is at least usable now...but it's definitely the ugliest batch I've made to this point. But I survived my first attempt at rebatching, so that's something, at least. Live and learn!).

It really does not matter when you add in the missing oil. I recently left out 3 oz of oil in a 5lb batch. Fortunetly this time I had superfatted 5% so I waited to test the ph in a couple of days. It is just fine with 0 superfat. I quit superfatting soap about a year ago, so I was suprised when I looked at my printout that I had added in the 5% in soap calc. If the soap feels right and looks right I do not worry and just check ph. A great way to save an ugly batch of rebatch is to add in a lot of activated charcoal and make a nice charcoal soap. I do a rebatch soap with mud and charcoal

Well that pales in comparison to my mistake today. I premixed a batch of lye water for later use, transferred it to a smaller container for storage, rinsed the original mixing container with a little vinegar, then absent-mindedly dumped the rinse into my lye water. :clap: My approach to salvage was to let what was left of the active lye work on my drain :think:

It really does not matter when you add in the missing oil. I recently left out 3 oz of oil in a 5lb batch. Fortunetly this time I had superfatted 5% so I waited to test the ph in a couple of days. It is just fine with 0 superfat. I quit superfatting soap about a year ago, so I was suprised when I looked at my printout that I had added in the 5% in soap calc. If the soap feels right and looks right I do not worry and just check ph. A great way to save an ugly batch of rebatch is to add in a lot of activated charcoal and make a nice charcoal soap. I do a rebatch soap with mud and charcoal

Why?

GREAT NEWS! It has turned out amazing! In fact I have tried it and I think it might be my favourite batch yet, lol.

Thanks everyone for your comments to help relax me!

shea-butter-soap-cocoa-butter.jpg

Oh no! So sorry to hear that :(, it is definitely something I could see myself doing!

Thank you! :D
I think it must have been the cocoa butter I put in. That is the only new ingredient I tried in this recipe and my other batches (without it) have all been much more buttery looking than this.

Either that or I cursed so much while making the batch that I scared the colour right out of it :p

Next to see if I can ever re-create it :)

Latest posts

Back