FO swirl?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
I did a bunch of FO tests over my spring break, and it was amazing how many different colors the same soap batch turned, from no change at all (nearly pure white), to dark brown. I didn't stir all the cups completely, which got me to thinking....

Has anyone done a swirl that results from using/not using a FO? The FO that turned the soap dark brown was a vanilla sandalwood, and I really liked the smell. I'm thinking I could divide the batch in half, put all of the FO in one half, and swirl the two together, ending up with a white/dark brown swirl once the FO morphed the color. I've never even done a color swirl yet, but it seems like it should work.

I often leave my white part of the soap unscented just to make sure it stays white. However I dont know if half would work, I have had the experience where I have added too much FO to one colour and even well behaved FO can separate.
Maybe leaving 1/4 or maybe ever 1/3 unscented and white would be o.k - thats usually what I do :)

I do the same thing, but it's also handy when dealing with a new FO that might seize. I read about it last year... a soaper who comes here hand a HARD seize, but luckily hadn't added any FO to the other color. She scooped the chunky seize into the mold, then poured the unscented soap in the cracks. The pics were beautiful.

Another soaper friend I know will toss the FO in the pot, swirl it just a LITTLE, then pour it all into the mold. The soap is naturally swirled from the resulting discoloration.

Back