first try

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizzo1267

Reaction score
Hi
I changed my soap recipe. Hoping this will work. Could you experts give me a hand .

Here is my recipe

Coco butter 100% 3oz
Olive oil 16oz
Milk 2% 1oz
Honey pure 1 tea spoon
Oatmeal (ground fine) 3 teaspoons

Water 7.6oz
Lye 2.607oz (will 2.60 work)

If I can get 5 go for its will make tonight. Thanking you in advance Darrack and Hayley.

Last edited:
I think there might be something missing in your recipe. I ran it through soapcalc and it suggested 1.16 oz of lye and 3.4 oz of water.

I recommend a batch size of 1.5 to 2 lbs. for your first recipe. It is harder to be precise with smaller quantities of ingredients.

Did you run your recipe through a lye calculator? As Judy pointed out, you have more than TWICE the amount of lye you should have for that amount of oils. and about twice as much water also. Which is why she asked if you had left out something on the recipe you posted, as there is not enough oil for that amount of lye... :)

Also, milk would be figured in with your liquids, not your oils, usually. :)

For a 16 oz oil recipe I use 2.15 ozs lye. You need more oils, or less lye. What you've got written here is 9 oz oil, that's why Judy asks if you missed out an ingredient, and recommends a bigger sized batch.

And Grayceworks is right about the milk, with the water you have it's going to be very wet! It'll take a long time to trace, a long time to unmold and a long time to cure.

Better check your recipe again :) I think there are several good first recipes posted throughout this forum, or run your cacao butter / olive oil through soapcalc, or one of the other soap calculators online, to get your lye and water amount sorted!

And good luck :)

Last edited:
Yes, the others have beaten me to it. For that amount of lye you would need more than double the amount of oil. So I wondered if you forgot to write one of the oils down or if you had doubled the lye and water but not the oils.

The recipe as written would be lye-heavy and unsafe to use.

Still, at only 5% superfat, it should take 2.45oz lye and 7.22 oz water at FULL water. Even at 0% SF it only requires 2.58oz lye, and that's not recommended. So your recipe is still very lye-heavy and unsafe. You need to check it with a lye calculator like soapcalc.net and make sure you have enough superfat included to account for any natural variations in the oils SAP values, which should be at least a 3% superfat minimum, and better at 5%-7%.

Latest posts

Back