First Time Master Batching Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I am so tired of having to mix up lye water and wait for it to cool each time I want to make soap (this is the main reason I've started putting off making soap), so I've decided to master batch my lye water. I've got the 50/50 mix part down, but I want someone to check my math for my salt additive.

I usually add 2 tsp. of salt per 10 ounces water. If I'm using a 50/50 mix, doesn't this mean I'll need 2 tsp per 5 ounces? (In case you can't tell, I'm math incompetent lol.)

If you are masterbatching, you either need to add the salt when you make soap or use more water - lye needs at least 1:1 water:lye ratio. If you add in salt, it reduces the "free" water for the lye to dissolve in, which means you would need to up your water amount to allow the lye to dissolve with the salt.

Or, make your 50:50 lye:water batch and add the salt in when you make your soap.

Thanks guys! I was asking because I always seem to forget to add in my salt. Sugar is no problem because I can just sub in some honey, but salt I can't.

Latest posts

Back