First official homemade soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all fascinating to me too -- I learn so much from the smart people here! @Loran , the secret to impatience is to soap on a regular basis. That way, something is always done curing. Um, we're still waiting for news and pics from your Friday night....
That’s what I been trying to figure out, is how often to soap to always have a steady supply in case I get lucky and other people want my soap. I’m totally fine soaping regularly I did it on a week day last night! Hmmm I don’t think I soaped Friday we had family flying in so we were cleaning. I forgot to take pics of last nights work I’ll do it when o get off of work. I saw your cake inspired soap last night it looked good! I need to go back and read your post I just glanced at it before the wifey told me it was bed time🤣

That’s what I been trying to figure out, is how often to soap to always have a steady supply in case I get lucky and other people want my soap.

Inventory management comes with time. I have picked 10 Regular Soaps, 4 Goat Milk Soaps and 3 Luxury Soaps; 20 bars each to start my website with. This is based on a year's worth of feedback. Just starting out, I have a limited number of same-size molds (trying to find that 'sweet-spot'). So right now I am limited to just making two batches of Regular and/or Goat Milk and with curing time, would need to make soap every day to make sure I over all 14 Regular/Goat Milk. I have a little more leeway with the Luxury Soaps since I use cavity molds.

I am in negotiation with wholesale GMS; she wants to change soap suppliers with the start of the new year. She's in the process of reviewing old sales figures from her original GMS maker to determine which six scents to start with and how much she is going to need. This in turn will determine which molds (loaf or slab) and how many I am going to need. And f course, whether my goat milk supplier can keep up with demand.

Ya that’s why the first batches of soap we made I don’t want to sell cuz I’m positive the lye solution in them were extremely high.

I am bypassing all the other conversations, sorry this may make me should mean but I really wonder why would your mind even be thinking selling at this point? Or are you already selling? Okay, maybe not my business, but selling to early in the game really does hurt all soapmakers. It takes a long time to even know a good from a bad soap and I really cannot understand why folks think making a batch of soap makes them ready to sell or even ready to think about selling.

Gecko sounds like there is quite a lot involved with your business that’s exciting and hope it goes well for you!
Cmzaha, like I said, it’s something that I would like to do, homemade soap is really amazing and would like to spread the love around here, but of course when I am ready. I am sticking to the one year recommended, because I see how much there is involved and how it would take that long to even grasp all that’s needed to know. I think too starting out with that in mind it makes me take it more seriously to get into this hobby to make the absolute best soap I can! Because after all, I’m in love with soap making😊

Here Zing is the batch I made last night! I mixed the recipe and the wife did the pouring. Did three colors and just poured down the middle of the mold up and down, layering the colors. The batch was small, making short bars. Still trying to find a right batch size. We haven’t even began to try complicated pours yet. Some day soon though!

Attachments

• 5CEE71DE-A53D-48F2-84B7-B9A6ED229E2C.jpeg
    5CEE71DE-A53D-48F2-84B7-B9A6ED229E2C.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 84EED5DE-2446-4FB0-A2BF-3299C86BA1F3.jpeg
    84EED5DE-2446-4FB0-A2BF-3299C86BA1F3.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 10
Gecko sounds like there is quite a lot involved with your business that’s exciting and hope it goes well for you!
The big stuff is easy. Learn to make soap. Spend several thousand dollars learning to make soap. It's all the little crap...figure out a name, file name with the state, secure domain name, branding, business cards, bags, shrink wrap? wrappers? soap boxes? soap stamp? labels for soap, banner, insurance, checking account, website, shopping cart, shopping bags, thank you labels, tissue paper? crinkle paper? bubble wrap, shipping labels, shipping, marketing (I HATE MARKETING), tins, 2 oz tins, 1 oz tins, labels for tins, ingredient labels and on and on and on. I think I will write a book: "So You Think You Want To Sell Soap? Costs and Considerations."

If you are serious about wanting to sell soap write a 5-year business plan first and then toss it in a desk draw for a year because you are going to ignore it. Then develop a recipe...just ONE recipe. One recipe to rule them all. Perfect that recipe...start with plain soap. Learn emulsion and trace. Time your recipe to see how long it takes to thicken up...give it a little stir. See how your recipe reacts to different temperatures and time that too. You need to know your soap backwards and forwards. Test the soap at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks. Keep one bar back to weigh. When you're sure you have a good handle on your recipe...toss the handle out and start adding colorants and scents. Not all suppliers are equal...get sample packs of colorants and 1 oz bottles of scents. Print your recipe out each and every time and keep notes...keep them in a binder. Your batter will change with the seasons.

I knew I had a really good soap recipe when my BIL asked me if I would make him a loaf of Chocolate Espresso. Then one of my husband's male friends asked if he could get some more of my soap...he didn't care how much it cost (I had given his wife some extra soap). They guys at work love me soap. Even my nephew's buddies think it's 'alright' (high praise from these tough guys).

And get your soap off those racks...get yourself some of no-slip shelf liner with the holes!

I took a screen shot of your information, it is a LOT! For the moment, I just want to make soap, and enjoy myself doing it, and have fun with it. I want to make soap because i love doing it. I think about it all day long, I haven’t been on Facebook or my games on my phone since I started, I’m reading about making soap every time I pick up my phone. I take it the “S” word is a pet peeve around here, one taken seriously. And that’s great! I understand that there is a reputation with it, one that needs protected. I didn’t get into soap making to make money. I got into it because I enjoy it. If it goes beyond that, great! If not, I’m still going to be in my kitchen making great soap for the people I love😊

I take it the “S” word is a pet peeve around here, one taken seriously.

It's not a 'pet peeve'. A 'pet peeve' is folks not putting their shopping carts in the corral. What it is...is first and foremost a safety issue. A lot of the public, as evidenced from comments I have seen on YouTube videos, think that soap makers wear gloves for purposes of sanitation. NO. We wear gloves because lye will burn our skin. I got a tiny amount of soap batter under my wedding set while cleaning up. When the pain in my finger woke me up in the middle of the night, I thought maybe another ring had pressed into my finger while sleeping. When I got up the following morning my hand was swollen...I barely got my rings off; any later I would have been at Urgent Care getting them cut off. Looking at my hand I noticed a tiny brown spot, I then looked at my wedding set and saw soap. One + one = two. It was a week before I could wear my rings again. As a result, I continue to wear gloves while cleaning up.

You were smart enough to realize that your first soaps, made by volume instead of weight, were NOT safe to sell: "Ya that’s why the first batches of soap we made I don’t want to sell cuz I’m positive the lye solution in them were extremely high." But not everyone is as smart as you and there are a lot of people out there who think it's no big deal that they have a negative Super Fat because they were careless in their weight. Making sure that no lye remains after the saponification process is one of the reasons why many soap makers use a Super Fat. Not that it's a requirement if you have a good scale and are very precise in your weights.

You'd be surprised at the number of folks who make soap via Hot Process that think they can sell it right away: "Unlike cold process soap, that lasts for 4-6 weeks, hot process soap can be used immediately after it hardens." and "The additional heat speeds up the saponification process. Three cheers for instant gratification; hot process soap can be cut within one day, and used right away." And you might be surprised that I used to be one of these people...not that I have ever made HP soap, just that I had the same lack of understanding of soap making. It's one of the many reasons why I decided I wasn't ready to sell soap.

The only real difference (IMHO and to keep it simple) between Hot Process soap making and Cold Process soap making...is the length of time of the saponification process. Because you are adding heat in HP, saponification takes just a few hours. In CP, you are allowing lye to do its thing...which can take 18 to 24 hours. But in either process, your soap NEEDS to cure four to six weeks. And the curing process isn't just about water evaporation and thus producing a long-lasting bar of soap, there is still a chemical reaction (@DeeAnna can explain much better) that is taking place. All you have to do is compare a bar a soap that you made a few days ago with a bar that you made a few months ago.

Going beyond the lye, you have your Essential Oils and Fragrance Oils. Many people think that EOs are harmless because they are 'natural' and have been used for centuries. Used properly they can be beneficial and enjoyable, but used improperly they can damage the liver, cause seizures, rashes and even burn the skin. Not only do you need to know safe usage rates for the EOs, you need to know which ones can be blended together and you need to make sure that you are purchasing your EOs and FOs from reputable sources and ALWAYS follow safe usage rates.

And let's not forget colorants and additives. When it comes to Micas, Oxides and Ultramarines, Neon Pigments, TD, AC, and Clays, the majority of them can be used safely in soap making. Again, make sure you are purchasing them from a reputable sources, make sure they are well dispersed and don't over use them. AC isn't going to turn your skin black, but it will transfer to your wash cloth. And let's not forgot natural colorants made from plant leaves, roots, bark, etc...like Indigo, Spinach, Madder Root, Turmeric, Alkanet Root, Beet Root, Sandalwood, and Tomato to quickly name some of them. Again, do your research. If I remember, there was a soaper had added Cinnamon to the top of their soap...looked fantastic, but Cinnamon is a skin irritant...especially to lady bits.

Course salt looks really pretty sprinkled across the tops of soap, but it will scratch the heck out of your skin. Epson salt is great in 'bath salts', but you don't want to use it in salt soap. It's okay to use beer, wine and bourbon in your soap, but you want burn away the alcohol first. Steel cut oats that you ground in the blender is no substitute for colloidal oatmeal. Lots of folks like to add 'food-type' ingredients like pumpkin puree, fresh avocado, or what not and that's okay, just make sure your amounts are correct and that they WELL incorporated into your oils/butters...blend the heck out of it...before you add your lye solution. Else-wise those little bits and pieces are going to rot in your soap.

And all the safety considerations mentioned above aside...folks who sell bad soap make the rest of us look bad too.

Last edited:
Yes I did. Thanks. I have fixed it.
Everything you said was spot on. No harm in someone having a goal to sell eventually, but truly they don’t know what they don’t know till they get into it for awhile. I remember reading a post of someone who’d had 10 successful batches. Then she had a flopped batch and was so shocked and depressed bc she thought she was ready to sell.

Everything you said was spot on. No harm in someone having a goal to sell eventually, but truly they don’t know what they don’t know till they get into it for awhile. I remember reading a post of someone who’d had 10 successful batches. Then she had a flopped batch and was so shocked and depressed bc she thought she was ready to sell.

The first three months I soaped I was about 50/50. My "opportunities to learn" (what I call my failures) were do to stupid mistakes. Once I got those sorted out, soap was good. I hadn't planned on selling my soap, but things kind of got out of hand and I scrambled to share a table with my sister at a local craft fair (last November). I did well, I got a lot of positive feedback...but I wasn't ready to sell.

I have a bar of soap that I was selling back then on my desk. Sitting next to it is the same type of soap I made a month ago...such a difference that you might think that they were made by different people. Pretty much the same exact recipe (I added Kaolin Clay this year), same mold, both saponified in the frig, I did wait a couple of days more to unmold the second soap (I was just being lazy). The second soap has a more 'polished' appearance than the first (I have a planer now), and it has a creamier, more even appearance. The cut on the first isn't bad considering I was using a cheese slicer back then...about 7/8" wide; newer soap is spot on a full inch wide.

One cool thing...is being able to weigh an older soap so see get a better picture of shrinkage. The old bar label says 3.75 oz; original weight would have been somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 oz and I rounded down..it currently weighs 3.84oz. The second bar is being sold as 4oz; it currently weighs 4.3 oz (I really need to weigh after cutting).

All-in-all...waiting has been a very good thing for me.

Here Zing is the batch I made last night!
10 10 10.gif
Congratulations on your first batch! Well done!!
That’s what I been trying to figure out, is how often to soap to always have a steady supply in case I get lucky and other people want my soap.
Actually, when first starting out, from what I've observed on SMF, it's best to make batch after batch as often as you can until you get comfortable with your technique, ingredients and the process involved.

For example, @KiwiMoose made 60 batches in her first 4 months of soapmaking! In terms of "years of soapmaking" she started here in 2018. When she posts advice, she speaks with authority based on the knowledge and experience she gained in those first four months. :thumbs:

On the plus side, the longer the cure, the better the soap. So, having a boatload of soap on hand isn't a problem... except for storage space, of course! 😁

I’ve been reading all of these replies and appreciate all the comments. I’ve been making soap for two years but making alot more since covid. I’ve said before I only make goats milk soap as I have goats so seemed logical. You can only eat so much cheese lol. I’ve tried tons of recipes I made and still keep tweaking them. I appreciated hearing “ thousands of dollars” as it has come to that and makes me feel guilty having not sold yet. I’ve given my soap to friends to try and one coworker asked me to make 80 small bars for her daughters wedding. I was reluctant but did. I did take money for the cost of the supplies, but that was it. Still, after reading this forum, belonging to the soap maker guild, I did buy the insurance. I’m not sure if it’ll pay off this year, but I feel protected. I’m trying to learn more about essential oils and received some great advice from people here. The business plan suggestion is what my son in law small business loan banker told me to do if I want to sell. I have a logo my grand son designed. My daughters, husband and family all want me to start selling.. and yet... I have a ways to go. Thank you for this forum . I have many more questions ahead ....

For example, @KiwiMoose made 60 batches in her first 4 months of soapmaking! In terms of "years of soapmaking" she started here in 2018. When she posts advice, she speaks with authority based on the knowledge and experience she gained in those first four months. :thumbs:
Team @KiwiMoose here! I'll never forget that time period, she was going off like a 🚀!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back