First multiple color soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I made my first swirl today and I also did a 2 colored layer soap.
My first batch I called "Louisiana swirl". It was a dark violet with dark yellow mica. I call my second batch "neon scrub" I use neon yellow for 3/4 of the mold and then topped it off with a black layer of mica. The black turned a little gray but it will still have the dramatic contrast that I was looking for. I incorporated a coarse pumice into the mix because that's what the guys at work wanted. So far so good. When I unmold and cut them I will post some pictures. It was not as hard as I thought it would be but that is because I read many articles on swirls/multiple color soaping before I tried it. The one thing that really helped was being prepared with a plan of action. I took everyones advice and had everything laid out and ready to go. Can't wait to unmold and cut them to see how they look on the inside. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

Here is a few pictures.

Attachments

• 20200127_084250_compress47.jpg
    20200127_084250_compress47.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200127_084220_compress87.jpg
    20200127_084220_compress87.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Those came out really nice. I tried to make a melt and pour two tone bar and it came out like a swirl instead of two solid colors.

Those came out really nice. I tried to make a melt and pour two tone bar and it came out like a swirl instead of two solid colors.
Thank you. I have found that melt and pour can be more difficult doing certain things. Because you have to time it just right and it hardens much quicker. Even if you get to a thick trace with CP, it's still usable, unless it seizes.

Here are some pictures of my first try at more than one color.

I know I posted these pictures twice but I am very proud of my first multiple color soaps. I welcome any comments or critiques. It is the only way I can learn.

Attachments

• 20200127_084250_compress47.jpg
    20200127_084250_compress47.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200127_084220_compress87.jpg
    20200127_084220_compress87.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 57
Looking good.. Looking forward to cut pics :)
Thanks you always have something kind to say. I am looking forward to cutting it too. I will probably cut them in a couple of days. I just unmolded them this morning and they felt like they needed a couple days of drying first. The house has a humidifier so they dry a little slower. I am remodeling my garage to put in an apartment and at the same time I am having a soaping kitchen built and a drying room done at the same time. Until then I got what I got.

You should be proud - they look great! I hope you show us the inside once they are cut. If I could make a suggestion, you should really line your rack to keep your soap off the metal. Contact with metal can cause DOS. You can use paper (parchment or other), cloth or I use plastic canvas that is used for embroidery (available in craft stores or Amazon).

Thanks for the compliment and I will definitely show you pics after I cut them. I wanted to cut them today but they really needed a little bit more drying. What is DOS? The rack is powder coated or Teflon coated, can't remember which? Does that make it ok or will it still get DOS?

DOS = dreaded orange spots. Coated metal could be okay, but I would still line them to be on the safe side. I had a kitchen cooling rack that was stainless steel which should be safe from reacting with the soap, but it must have been mixed metal. The soaps developed DOS in the exact pattern of the metal. You can even cut up a paper grocery bag and use that. It's no fun to have a whole batch of soap become rancid.

Thanks for the advice. I will do it tomorrow because I am at work until 3am tomorrow. I hope it will be ok until then. I have not noticed it on my first batch. Wheh I turned them over to check them. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured soap.

I made my first swirl today and I also did a 2 colored layer soap.
My first batch I called "Louisiana swirl". It was a dark violet with dark yellow mica. I call my second batch "neon scrub" I use neon yellow for 3/4 of the mold and then topped it off with a black layer of mica. The black turned a little gray but it will still have the dramatic contrast that I was looking for. I incorporated a coarse pumice into the mix because that's what the guys at work wanted. So far so good. When I unmold and cut them I will post some pictures. It was not as hard as I thought it would be but that is because I read many articles on swirls/multiple color soaping before I tried it. The one thing that really helped was being prepared with a plan of action. I took everyones advice and had everything laid out and ready to go. Can't wait to unmold and cut them to see how they look on the inside. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

Here is a few pictures.

In my Home State we would call those Viking Colors. Cant wait to see the cut!

Here they are cut. They turned out just the way I thought they would.

I should have kept reading and I would have saw you already posted the cuts. I love the purple and yellow!

In my Home State we would call those Viking Colors. Cant wait to see the cut!
I don't like LSU but I do like those 2 colors, so I just went with Louisiana lol.

@Todd Ziegler Great looking soap there...love the colors.
Thanks. I am having so much fun. Tomorrow I am going to try a banana color and FO with a peanut butter topping. I though of using a brown oxide for the peanut butter and yellow oxide for the banana color. I also thought about a white topping for a banana cream pie.

Thanks. I am having so much fun. Tomorrow I am going to try a banana color and FO with a peanut butter topping. I though of using a brown oxide for the peanut butter and yellow oxide for the banana color. I also thought about a white topping for a banana cream pie.
Now I'm just hungry. :)

Have you tried cocoa powder for brown? I love the color in soap.

Those look great Tod. And please line your racks.
Others have said the same thing and I haven't got around to it. However I have not had a problem with DOS. My racks are coated in a plastic coating, so maybe that is why I haven't had that problem.

My racks are coated in a plastic coating, so maybe that is why I haven't had that problem.

The thing is...there is often still a wee bit of lye left in the soap and lye is caustic and it will eventually cause the coating to fail. I've been lining my cookie sheets with freezer paper, but I picked up a couple of rolls of EasyLiner (https://www.walmart.com/ip/EasyLine...elf-Liner-Teal-Splash/141567518?selected=true) for my shelves in the garage for more air circulation. And yes, I went with the Teal color...just easier for me to see, and it's pretty too.

The thing is...there is often still a wee bit of lye left in the soap and lye is caustic and it will eventually cause the coating to fail. I've been lining my cookie sheets with freezer paper, but I picked up a couple of rolls of EasyLiner (https://www.walmart.com/ip/EasyLine...elf-Liner-Teal-Splash/141567518?selected=true) for my shelves in the garage for more air circulation. And yes, I went with the Teal color...just easier for me to see, and it's pretty too.
I will get some this weekend. I like that it still allows air to circulate.

Latest posts

Back