FIRST IN THE POT SWIRL - look what happened!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I made a soap that my son requested with pureed fresh mango and greek yoghurt and tried an 'in the pot' swirl by colouring 1/3 the batch with paprika extract and adding a little cinnamon leaf EO. The main batch had Tropical Mango FO and the food added to it. I used an upright 1 litre milk carton as my main mould and some individual oval guest soap moulds for the excess.

All went well until my milk carton batch reached full gel.....and kept on going!!! I thought I was going to have a volcano like I have read about here on the forum, so I unwrapped, unpacked, opened up and placed under a ceiling fan.....the steaming seemed to back off, so I thought "phew, that was close" and went to bed.

(Click on pics for a bigger view)

When I unmoulded the next day I found -

This was the bottom of the soap (and now I know just what 'lye zap' is all about... :lol:)
And through the log -

The individual moulds came out fine and the swirl is great; so a partial win.

I have been impressed with Lindy's whipped rebatch pics so I decided it was time for my first rebatch and my first whipping experience.....

Here is the result of this wonderful learning curve :wink: :D

Grated up, melted down in the microwave and stirred well

Whipped using the prepared cake mix setting on my stand mixer

The end result - colours are pretty true to life

Thanks for looking!

Tanya :D

Nice save! Your whipped rebatch looks amazing and the pictures of the procedure were dot on! I love the colour and that light fluffy feeling to your soaps. Now you can market them as Milled Soap That Floats!

YEAH YOU!!!! :D :? :D :? :lol:

Thanks Lindy!

It was you who inspired me to 'have a go' - at first I thought I would just microwave rebatch the way I had seen a tutorial for and then I decided what did I have to lose when I knew it could be done.

Now the biggie - whipped soap from scratch a la Nizzy.

Do you mind if I ask you a question. In your post on your lovely whipped rebatch you mention you added liquid. I had read that if rebatching within a few days of making the soap you didn't need to add liquid, so I only added an extra 30 gram oil to sort of soak up the free lye in the mix and superfat it a little more. If I had added liquid do you think it would have given a smoother texture and more time to play? I was like " wow look at the creamy soapy stuff.....oh oh.....it is setting in my mixing bowl....quick where's the mould".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tanya :)

Sweet as

They look like little clouds. Congratulations.
The colours are so sweet.
Now you have one more trick in your soap making bag.
I just can't imagine the numerous possabilities there are in soap making.
:lol:

x

oh my goodness great save! your rebatch came out lovely.

do you think the cassia leaf/cinnamon leaf may have reacted to the f/o's? i have used cassia alone @ .3 ppo with no worries.

Hi Tanya,

Usually if I an doing a rebatch right away then I don't add liquid but the older the soap is then the more liquid I will add. The only liquid I have horrible trouble with in rebath is coconut milk because it seizes the rebatch and then turns it into pure liquid after it cools. I haven't found an answer for that so I won't be using it in rebatch anymore. But you can add oils, coffee, juice, tea or just straight water when you do the rebatch as well as any herbs, spices, botanicals, or anything else you heart desires.

I really like the whipped rebatch because it looks so creamy and soft.

You really did do a wonderful job!

Cheers
Lindy

Great Xtra info

Lindy said:
Hi Tanya,

Usually if I an doing a rebatch right away then I don't add liquid but the older the soap is then the more liquid I will add. The only liquid I have horrible trouble with in rebath is coconut milk because it seizes the rebatch and then turns it into pure liquid after it cools. I haven't found an answer for that so I won't be using it in rebatch anymore. But you can add oils, coffee, juice, tea or just straight water when you do the rebatch as well as any herbs, spices, botanicals, or anything else you heart desires.

I really like the whipped rebatch because it looks so creamy and soft.

You really did do a wonderful job!

:lol: That is wonderefull extra info on the liquids to add. Thanks

Cheers
Lindy

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I will do up a large master batch of my Bastille (10lbs) and then rebatch in small quantities to make custom soaps, or experiments with spices etc. It allows me to quickly make up a batch of soap when I get a request for something I don't have on hand and I want it to be ready quickly.

Cheers

Pretty soaps Topcat! I can't decide which one I like better, they both look great!

Nice job on the rebatch - that can really be a pain. :lol:

Thanks so much everyone!

The general consensus in my home is that the rebatched soaps are nicer - however I was looking to achieve an in the pot swirl, so the ovals appeal to me cause they worked :D

I am thinking I will rebatch some of each soap batch for a little while now to see just what is possible to do......so many soaping possibilities - so little time :wink:

Floating on

topcat said:
Thanks so much everyone!

I am thinking I will rebatch some of each soap batch for a little while now to see just what is possible to do......so many soaping possibilities - so little time :wink:

I was just pondering on so many possabilities , so little time ,I too get that urge to want to do it all. It reminded ME of my saying that to a Air Hostess who was in a shop of mine once .She said not to think that way, that we are given a whole life time to do everything we need to do in it. When I remember that I relax into what I am doing and try not to go back over my ideas book too often. Ahh sweet anticipation. :idea:

Latest posts

Back