First body butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This morning I made my first body butter. I used the following:

100g shea butter
2 tablesp. jojoba oil
1 teasp. cornflour
10 drops lavender EO
10 drops tea tree EO

It feels OK but I find it a bit too greasy. What could I add to make it less greasy? More cornflour?

Thank you in advance to those who reply.
Nicole

Watching with interest...I just use straight shea since I don't know what else to mix in.

I make a body butter with shea butter, mango butter, argan oil, meadowfoam seed oil, vitamin e and use Isopropyl Myristate to help with the greasiness...I love it. You can also use arrowroot powder or corn starch. Play with your formula until you find something that you like. It took me a long time to find a happy medium that I loved and now my customers love it too.

Did you manage to fix the problem? I've seen recipes for whipped shea butter with aloe and that was said to help cut the greasy feel. But then you'd need a preservative.

Thank you all for your advice. I will try again one of these days and, if I manage to find a suitable texture, I will post my recipe.

You can try switching some of the shea for mango butter, it has a drier feel. There is a recipe on BB for an easy whipped body butter, I believe it is just shea butter and coconut oil. I would try some fractionated coconut oil since it is actually considered "oil-free", that may help a lot.

Here is the link I was thinking of... http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/easy-whipped-shea-butter-2/ I haven't made it but I have used it, and it feels very very nice!

eta: and I second IPM

Last edited:
All oil body butters tend to be quite heavy so I can understand you are finding it greasy.

If you want something light which sinks in then you'll need to add water to make a lotion. But then of course you'll need to add preservatives and an emulsifier. Takes a little bit more knowledge and time but it's really worth it.

Last edited:
Back