First batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonstar

Reaction score
I am brand new to soap making. I did a lot of studying and decided I like the transparent soap best. I'm adding charcoal so it's not the transparency I like. It the smooth finish that comes with it. Now 99.999% of everyone says that attempting transparency is for experienced only. What ever. From what I have read having experience dose not seem to improv odd of success, so I say that moto has zero evidence to back it up.
My first attempt I miss read my lye calculator, those soaps are in week 3 of curing and they seem fine.
2nd batch is a week old and I achieved transparency just fine. So I submitt for consideration an end to thinking experience equals results with transparent soap. It just takes understanding .

Good for you dragonstar. Would love to see pics of your soap. I've never looked into transparent soap - might go do a search now.

Oh - BTW - have a look at Zany's No Slime Castile thread - I've made that soap and it has a nice 'slick' finish similar to that of a transparent soap.

...I achieved transparency just fine. So I submitt for consideration an end to thinking experience equals results with transparent soap. It just takes understanding .
Well said, dragonstar. You'll get no argument from me. As it happens, transparents were some of my first soaps as well.

Pink & Blue.jpg Black Transprnt.jpg Rose Soap.JPEG

So I submitt for consideration an end to thinking experience equals results with transparent soap. It just takes understanding .
I think that's where the difference lies, we all understand things differently, and at a different pace.

I remember before I started, which is also recent, I was told that you should have tried a few CP batches before trying HP but I went and did HP first. And yknow what? It wasn't a success lol. Major fail is what I'd call my first batch. But I kept at it.

I seriously tip my hat to those who get things right on the first try... And the second... And the third haha.. Because, and feel free to throw stones at me, that is not the norm. The norm is to fail, majorly or slightly, and to keep trying.

So I guess, when people say you need experience, it's more of cautionary advice than a rule.. The ones saying so are probably either very experienced and are asking you to proceed with caution and due intelligence lol or the ones who tried it and failed and thought they might have done better with a lil more experience.

Not sure of what I'm trying to say is clear lol

But..... Show us your soaps!! Hehehe :D

@Zany_in_CO, those look great! I love the blue one.

Good for you dragonstar. Would love to see pics of your soap. I've never looked into transparent soap - might go do a search now.

Oh - BTW - have a look at Zany's No Slime Castile thread - I've made that soap and it has a nice 'slick' finish similar to that of a transparent soap.

A good friend of mine is from Italy. I'm pretty much not allowed to not make castle, your no slime is noted

Well said, dragonstar. You'll get no argument from me. As it happens, transparents were some of my first soaps as well.

View attachment 35214 View attachment 35215 View attachment 35216

Thank you. That was kind.
Mine are not as nice looking as yours. Mine have some bees wax so not actually clear, BUT...I can see my finger on the other side. And the finish is okay, I have to wait until next weekend before I can try batch 3.
I'm holding off on the charcoal and pine tar so I can see the soap better but batch 4 will be the sopa I'm trying to make.

I think that's where the difference lies, we all understand things differently, and at a different pace.

I remember before I started, which is also recent, I was told that you should have tried a few CP batches before trying HP but I went and did HP first. And yknow what? It wasn't a success lol. Major fail is what I'd call my first batch. But I kept at it.

I seriously tip my hat to those who get things right on the first try... And the second... And the third haha.. Because, and feel free to throw stones at me, that is not the norm. The norm is to fail, majorly or slightly, and to keep trying.

So I guess, when people say you need experience, it's more of cautionary advice than a rule.. The ones saying so are probably either very experienced and are asking you to proceed with caution and due intelligence lol or the ones who tried it and failed and thought they might have done better with a lil more experience.

Not sure of what I'm trying to say is clear lol

But..... Show us your soaps!! Hehehe :D

@Zany_in_CO, those look great! I love the blue one.

I have read often how the experienced fail at this soap. Personally i say there is plenty of evidence to conclude experience causes diapers to fail..ha !!

Yes, pictures please! :)

I thought I posted pics. Obviously my tech skills are still developing.

Pics coming right up

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe call it something else? ;)

My castle has already been named bearded lady....on account my friend is woman by birth ( still a woman) and can grow a beard.

A heroin addict friend who died a long time ago once said " If there is only one thing you ever take from knowing me please let it be this, never pass up the opportunity to make friends with a bearded lady. You will never regret it.
I did and pretty much my best friend and frequent lafe saver

Not sure of what I'm trying to say is clear lol But..... Show us your soaps!! Hehehe

Point

15478867657162760368507061113408.jpg

That was attempt #1
There was a panic during pouring of lye and ......well it is 3 week now and I think it will at least be usable

Nice! Beautiful colour.

Thank you

This has been awesome . I joined this site a few months ago and introduced myself and my intention to make this soap and I less than 10 minutes a staff member did nothing but tell me it was a pipe dream and a few other snides . My name had dragon in it then so I'm sure she recognizes me. Told me transparent soap was to expensive, to small of a marked and that I had a nice pipe dream.
Okay ...I promis that will be the furthest extent of my gripping. This post has been very pleasant. I think I may stick around

The name is trent by the way

Not sure of what I'm trying to say is clear lol But..... Show us your soaps!! Hehehe

Point
If there is one thing I am not its shy about showing my soap, or anything else giggity

View attachment 35214 View attachment 35215 View attachment 35216

I really like that black one.
That is exactly why I decided I want to make transparent soap. That nice surface in black with 24k gold flakes added for pop and luxury. That's what I'm goaling for

Yo Trent!

I agree with KiwiMoose, the first one's color is great. I'm a fan of black soaps too and your goal with the gold flecks sounds awesome!

Hey Trent,

Nice soaps - the black one caught me by surprise, so different from your golden soap!
(Gold flakes will be amazing to look at on/in a black background!)

What did you use to make the golden coloured transparent soap?
(you don't have to answer, but I am curious, if you want to tell :)).

A good friend of mine is from Italy. I'm pretty much not allowed to not make castle, your no slime is noted
Um, the "No Slime Castile" formula wouldn't work for a transparent soap. It's 85-100% olive oil and contains sea salt.
I really like that black one. That is exactly why I decided I want to make transparent soap. That nice surface in black with 24k gold flakes added for pop and luxury. That's what I'm goaling for
Great minds think alike! A black soap was one of my goals as well. That particular soap was made with (drumroll please) the liquid poured from a bag of frozen blueberries!!! I used it to make the lye solution. So, just one of those crazy, serendipitous, accidents. It finished black, but, after a 3-month cure, turned into a shade that reminds me of root beer -- as you can see from the bar standing on end in that pic.

Yo Trent!

I agree with KiwiMoose, the first one's color is great. I'm a fan of black soaps too and your goal with the gold flecks sounds awesome!

About 20 years ago ( I'm 45) I was given a bar of dark brown soap . It was pinetar saop. I think I had a very tipical guy reaction. The color gets our attention first. For about 1.5 seconds we first consider if it is a joke or not. When we realize it's not we become very intrigued. Then I saw the words pinetar. Okay now it has to be a joke....nope it's still a real soap. " so...its nasty color and it has tar in it and its somehow real soap ??
.....okay now I absolutely have to try it".
That was my reaction at least and most guys I have talked to went through pretty much the same process.

Hey Trent,

Nice soaps - the black one caught me by surprise, so different from your golden soap!
(Gold flakes will be amazing to look at on/in a black background!)

What did you use to make the golden coloured transparent soap?
(you don't have to answer, but I am curious, if you want to tell :)).

Beeswax, olive oil, palm oil, and castor oil are what contribute to its color

Beeswax, olive oil, palm oil, and castor oil are what contribute to its color

It truly is a lovely colour!

@Richard Perrine was posting not so long ago about using wine and glycerin for his transparent soaps, and I'm always curious to hear about other peoples adventures go, with different solvents. I think @Zany_in_CO (please correct me if I'm wrong) first soaps were alcohol dissolved?

:)

Um, the "No Slime Castile" formula wouldn't work for a transparent soap. It's 85-100% olive oil and contains sea salt.

Great minds think alike! A black soap was one of my goals as well. That particular soap was made with (drumroll please) the liquid poured from a bag of frozen blueberries!!! I used it to make the lye solution. So, just one of those crazy, serendipitous, accidents. It finished black, but, after a 3-month cure, turned into a shade that reminds me of root beer -- as you can see from the bar standing on end in that pic.

Yes I do love the grandparents soaps, but my Castile soap will just be Castile. I'm not exclusive to just transparent.
AS A MATTER OF FACT.....its the weekend and I'm itching to bust out a batch, but I'm broke and out of everclear. I do however have everything I need to knock out a hot process soap.
I still need sling a recipe real quick. I'll work with what I have.
I do know it will have pinetar, charcoal, and I have menthol Crystals for sent.
The oils I have on hand are
Coconut, castor, flax, grapeseed, beeswax, almond, hemp, and olive. I have plenty of lye and glycerin...oh and shea butter.
This is going to be an awesome soap....just not transparent....I'm still excited...
And yes pitchers will be posted.

.....wow......that was a very interesting adventure in color to say the least, and certainly an Avenue I have every intention of dabbling in myself. That got my attention
( its official.....I'm addicted to soap. I hope I can get clean someday)

It truly is a lovely colour!

@Richard Perrine was posting not so long ago about using wine and glycerin for his transparent soaps, and I'm always curious to hear about other peoples adventures go, with different solvents. I think @Zany_in_CO (please correct me if I'm wrong) first soaps were alcohol dissolved?

:)

Only as a possible reference point to your inquiry. My understanding is that when used as a solvent the alcohol needs to be as high proof as you can get. I live in a major city where 190 proof is sold in Walmart. Lucky me.
As to the use of wine, substituting your water with wine or beer will add lather to your soap, of course I assume smell and color will be affected as well. And when you put merlot on the lable it's going to get some attention. My reading also say the the alcohol in the wine and beer will shorten your time to get to trace . Being as how I am excessively impatient I can only see this as a good thing

Just wanted to chime in, if I may. One of the first soaps I made was transparent soap and loved it! It wasn't as difficult as I was led to believe, but wanted to do it w/o alcohol, etc. My transparent soaps only use coconut, castor, sugar and glycerine. Here is my latest batch from a week or two ago.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/transparent-soap-adventures.71136/

The first pic is an example of the color when first poured. All my soaps are CLEAR with a slight straw-coloured tint. The second pic is the bar after I have mixed in the Patchouli EO. The third pic shows two of the bars up to the sun. I am working on making the recipe CLEAR and COLORLESS. Not easy.

I use the same recipe for my wine soaps (Thanks SaltedFig for the mention :thumbs::)). The process to make is different, but I am able to make transparent wine-scented soap with only natural ingredients and real wine. Not as strong as I would like, but it works...for the most part. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4406.JPG
    IMG_4406.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 31581-cc3560047f722bb147225e9867dc9939.jpg
    31581-cc3560047f722bb147225e9867dc9939.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 31582-37bd2ce96e3e7122ac621dc3ebc66d21.jpg
    31582-37bd2ce96e3e7122ac621dc3ebc66d21.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Where's the emoji for mind-blown? I'm fascinated by this transparent soap thing -- I really thought folks were talking about melt & pour but this is cold process!! @dragonstar , your soaps look great, especially the golden one. And @Zany_in_CO the black and the root beer look so nice. I've got to do some more research on this and add it to my growing list of things to try. Welcome aboard, @dragonstar !

Latest posts

Back