First batch gone wrong - oops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura143

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I tried to make my first batch of soap 2 days ago, but something obviously went wrong... Here's my recipe:

16 ounces olive oil
8 ounces coconut oil
8 ounces palm oil

I used alkanet for some colouring, and 1% lavender EO & 1% peppermint EO.

Now, I think I put it into the mold too early. I'd gathered through reading that it takes a few minutes of stick blending to get to trace, and I didn't know that high proportions of OO would need longer. So after I'd already been blending for a few minutes, it was definitely thicker, and so I thought "hey, this is it!". But then when I put it in the mold, it turned to liquid again, so I guess that was a false trace?

I put it in the fridge over the first night as I didn't really want it to gel. Then yesterday it sat at room temperature. I just got it out of the mold, and it definitely doesn't look right... Is the difference in colour from gelling, or is it lye heavy, or is it from something else? Is this just aesthetic, something I can rebatch, or is it for the bin?

Sorry for all the questions!

IMG_0746.jpg

Lye - 4.509 ounces
Water - 12.16
5% superfat

I did a zap test, but I've never done one before so wasn't really sure what to expect - it just tasted pretty weird...

If you rebatch it, do you add anything to the melted soap?

If it zaps…you'll know ;)

I think it may be too early to rely on a zap test anyway. Some soaps, especially when they haven't gelled, take longer than 48 hours to stop zapping.

I would cut it and see what the inside looks like. Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't give up on it yet anyway. Worst case scenario…rebatch.

If it was zappy, you would have known it. People says its a tingle but to me, its more of a burn and quite unpleasant. Make sure you zap test different area, especially the whiter spots. If its zappy anywhere, it will need to be rebatched but I would wait a couple days to test to make sure its fully saponified.
Usually a bit of water needs to be added to rebatch and if the soap is zappy, a ounce or two of olive oil.

I did a zap test on the really white bits and they were exactly the same as the other bits - no sting or tingle or anything. Because it's not zapping, that means its okay to use after curing, yes? It's just an aesthetic problem? I've cut it up now so here's a picture.

IMG_0747.jpg

Very nice looking first batch! Great natural color! If you are talking about the center being darker it looks like a partial gel. I would cure the soap, and see what you think. The temp that you soaped at may have been high enough to still give you a partial gel, even with the fridge. Your soap isn't a oops at all.

Now I would just give it some time and then give it a try. It looks like it may have gotten hot in the center a bit but that's only cosmetic. I agree, no oops at all. Maybe not what you quite had in mind but there is always next time.

Latest posts

Back